Thread: Frank Solivan and ToneSlabs picks

Default Frank Solivan and ToneSlabs picks

Iíve seen a couple ďteaserĒ posts on FB about these but maybe they are close to actual production. Iíll have to wait for some comparison videos, myself, but the color options are different at least!

https://bluegrasstoday.com/introduci...uality-plectra

https://toneslabs.com/store
    2009 Eastman MD815/V
    2019 Northfield NF-F5S
    some home music videos

2. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: Frank Solivan and ToneSlabs picks

That blue and green one is really cool but $45/pick is too much for me

They really need to tell us more about what they are actually made of. I'm interested because Frank says they're good, but $45 good? I hope they are.
    Eastman 605, Strad-o-lin, and Kentucky 300e mandolins.

Member, Long Island Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra
    Visit my YouTube page

Is that not the going rate for pretty much all the boutique TS alternative picks? Is 45 any different than 40 for an Apollo or the other picks in that category?

https://acousticguitar.com/tortoises...utique-makers/

I received my ToneSlab pick yesterday. Triangle shaped 1.4mm, light blue color. I like it quite a lot so far. Compared to my blue chip CT-55 it has similar playability but a little brighter tone.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandoBodhi For This Useful Post:

My first should be arriving in the post any minute. Tweener (smaller triangle), 1 round corner, 1.5mm, yellow. Looking forward to comparing it with my usuals.

Curious if anyone here have give em a try and would post a review on how they compare to others picks.

I received a TS Tri (big triangle) 1.4mm about two weeks ago. So far I have really liked the pick. It is slightly larger in size than my Bluechip CT 55. Tone seems to be brighter than Bluechip or the Apollo/casein picks. Playability/fit/feel is as good as any pick I have tried, not quite as grippy as BC but still very easy to hold on to. Canít speak to durability yet, but seems to be holding up very well with no signs of warping/wear after several weeks of heavy play. It is quickly becoming my go to pick!

I'm working on a pick review of the Tone Slabs and a new pick from Italy called Techpicks. It'd run by a couple PhD materials scientists who want to build a better flatpick. The TS picks are certainly a bit brighter than BCs and the material is very quick off the string, very low friction. More to follow in the December issue of Bluegrass Unlimited

Slightly related - Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen have a new CD that's available for pre-release, and they have a pre-release package for $55 that includes the CD (signed, maybe) and one of the picks. Such a deal! (Compass Records is the label/site. NFI - just a FS&DK fan.)
    2009 Eastman MD815/V
    2019 Northfield NF-F5S
    some home music videos

Quote Originally Posted by Mills View Post
    I received a TS Tri (big triangle) 1.4mm about two weeks ago. So far I have really liked the pick. It is slightly larger in size than my Bluechip CT 55. Tone seems to be brighter than Bluechip or the Apollo/casein picks. Playability/fit/feel is as good as any pick I have tried, not quite as grippy as BC but still very easy to hold on to. Canít speak to durability yet, but seems to be holding up very well with no signs of warping/wear after several weeks of heavy play. It is quickly becoming my go to pick!
    I just picked up a 1.4 Tweener. Gobsmacked! I actually think itís every bit as grippy as a Blue Chip. Tone is indeed a bit brighter. My new favorite pick.

Tom