Thread: On the Bus with Bill Monroe by Mark Hembree

Default On the Bus with Bill Monroe by Mark Hembree

Excerpt from "On The Bus" by Mark Hembree

Crossing the Canadian Border

When American musicians cross into Canada, sometimes—not every time—they have to declare their instruments and equipment and then pay a deposit. This is to discourage selling the stuff in Canada. The money is refunded when you get back to the States.

The Bluegrass Boys all went through, first Kenny Baker's Guarnerius fiddle—Baker, with a straight face, told the customs agent it was worth $200. I think Wayne and Butch were between $200 and $300 with their Martin guitar and Gibson banjo, respectively. I told the guy my Kay plywood bass was $400 (“because it’s bigger,” I explained). Bill came last, and by that time the officer was already growing skeptical and a little testy.

Bill told the guy his 1923 Gibson F-5 Lloyd Loar was worth $150, the guy blew. “Do you mean to tell me an instrument like this is worth only $150?” he demanded. Bill bored in, his voice rising. “That’s what I give for it at a barber shop in Florida in 19 and 45. It was in the window there and I bought it from the man there and I never did get no receipt, I just shook hands with the man and he’s dead now, so you’ll just have to take my word on it!”

Then, jaw set, he fixed his fearsome gaze on the agent and awaited the next question.

None was forthcoming.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fretbear For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: On the Bus with Bill Monroe by Mark Hembree

Another good Bill story.

4. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

An excellent book.That being said. as much as I. love Monroe's music, there is no way I would have put up with those working conditions

Quote Originally Posted by KOakley View Post
    An excellent book. That being said, as much as I love Monroe's music, there is no way I would have put up with those working conditions.
    The word "Disrespectful" comes to mind, which is ironic, considering how so little of that was going to be tolerated in return. Just the refusal to release to the band any kind of tour schedule alone was unacceptable. Kenny Baker quit (the last time) over that exact issue.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

7. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

Bill was a man from another time. A time when the boss was the boss and his word was final. I'm not making excuses for that kind of behavior, I just knew old men that were that way. They tended to be rural and independent and not inclined to negative feedback. They were their own boss and it was their way or the highway. At least you knew where you stood with them, even if it was not ideal.

9. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Cocaine and Rhinestones had one of the best Bill Monroe stories ever. The complete story is hilarious and at the link below.

The short version is that among other superstars, George Jones and Monroe were playing a big extravaganza at Madison Square Garden. Each performer could play two and only two songs to keep to a schedule and avoid overtime pay for the stage crew which would have put the whole program at a financial loss. Jones was drunk and kept right on singing a third and a fourth song while everyone was looking for a way to get him offstage gracefully. Bill finally told the emcee "I'll take care of it." Bill and one of the Bluegrass Boys went out on stage, got on either side of Jones, picked him up by his arms and carried him offstage while he kept singing.

https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/george-jones-phase-2

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Finally took the plunge and bought the book. Previous bluegrass books I had read were disappointments, but not this one. The author had to put up with a lot of Monroe's idiosyncrasies and tough work conditions criss-crossing the country in a rundown bus, but yet he was able to retell each story with great humor. He has my respect to be able to stay with Monroe for 5 years. Great insight into the man, the myth, and the legend. I recommend this book.

Looks interesting!
    My local library has one copy. It’s checked out so I put a “hold” on it.
    Whoever has it was supposed to return it one week ago.
    I’m still waiting…

If it’s one of you guys - please return it! A fellow Cafe’er is waiting!

Kirk

These days I don't think any band leader could require band members to form a baseball team, and play local "nines" to raise interest in that night's concert. Or to work on his farm when bookings were slim. As to buying their own performance costumes, I guess that would depend. Luckily enough, when the Blue Grass Boys stopped wearing jodhpurs, their required suits-and-ties could also be used to attend funerals and church services, after leaving the band. And cowboy hats are always cool.

On the other hand, I just watched Mountain Heart on a Marty Stuart Show rerun last night, and I have to say I had a bit of nostalgia for the days when bands "dressed up" to play onstage. The band members could have been dressed to clean out a chicken coop, or blacktop a driveway. Contrasted with the always-coordinated Fabulous Superlatives, who put on a visual as well as musical "show" when they play. I watch the Saturday music shows on RFD-TV, where Marty Stuart follows the Pressleys, who flash the rhinestones-and-embroidery thing far beyond my costume taste. Still, the T-shirt-and-jeans image does make bands look like they just can't be bothered to put on a "nice shirt" for the show.

Long digression, and I love Mountain Heart's music. Just not their look.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM