Thread: Mandolin Rental

Default Mandolin Rental

I am wanting my son (9yo) to try the mandolin. Does anyone know of any place that rents out mandolins? I am in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Rental

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

You can get an acceptable Asian plywood student mandolin for $65. Even if you have to pay another $50 to get it properly set up (you can also do that yourself, with Cafe member Robster's excellent e-book on the subject), you're gonna be spending less that a couple months' rental. And should your kid decide that he really wants to learn bagpipes, you can sell the Rover to another prospective Bill Monroe or Chris Thile.

Instrument rentals seem like a saving, but rarely are. Student-level stringed instruments are rarely that expensive. Plus, you needn't worry about whether one you own gets scratched or nicked.

Also: don't rent bagpipes...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The Play It Forward bluegrass musical instrument lending program is based out of Dallas. They provide donated instruments for young people to borrow and try out, acting as a lending library. The link below is to their website. You might try contacting them.

https://bluegrassheritage.org/play-i...nding-program/

5. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    The Play It Forward bluegrass musical instrument lending program is based out of Dallas. They provide donated instruments for young people to borrow and try out, acting as a lending library. The link below is to their website. You might try contacting them.
    Nice!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

This is not necessarily answering the OP's question, but you say "I'm wanting my son to try the mandolin....." So, he's 9 years old. Is it he who is interested in the mandolin or is it you who wants him to play it. As a person who was influenced to play a specific instrument when I was about the same age I'll say that didn't work for me or anyone else I knew with the same types of influences. Let him decide if that's what he wants to play or it may not take. Just my 2¢. Good luck~
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

8. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Ranald