Thread: David Grisman - The Story of Crusher | Fretboard Journal

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Default David Grisman - The Story of Crusher | Fretboard Journal

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Nathan Kellstadt For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: David Grisman - The Story of Crusher | Fretboard Journal

Fascinating. Thanks! There's a lot of information packed into this brief clip - some of which I'm sure a lot of you knew, but I didn't - as well as some fine, quiet demonstratin'.

Just one thing. This bit by FJ in the video's description: David "Dawg" Grisman tells the story of one of the most iconic mandolins in bluegrass history, Crusher.

My comment there, as well here, is: Don't sell Crusher short. It's one of the most iconic mandolins in history - entirely, not just bluegrass. And you know, Grisman plays a LOT more than bluegrass, and has for many years on this fabulous instrument.

The clock is ticking on when this will blow up into a comments firestorm and how bad it will get.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The Tone Monster with his Tone Machine... perfecto! Thanks for posting...

the sound just jumps out of it. Beautiful! Of course the hands of the Dawg help as well.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Blog Entries

The gold standard!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

His legendary Fern F5 is equally compelling... I might even prefer its tone over Crusher's... tough call.

That mandolin is the top of the heap for me. It's perhaps the most responsive and dynamic instrument I've witnessed. It's a very special beast.

An amazing mandolin, and amazing player. Very pleased to see this video.

I was also pleased to see/hear it being captured by 2 vintage Neumann Km84 microphones into a Great River 2NV preamp. My good friend makes those preamps in St. Paul Minnesota. A great mandolin deserves great gear to record it.

10. The following members say thank you to sliebers for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that input. (Pun not intended, but welcomed.) It is a great-sounding instrument, and the equipment used to present that so faithfully does it justice. As much as David Grisman is a great player - arguably the best ever - this mandolin has so much inherent presence and musicality that he barely touches the strings and it sings, loudly and clearly. That makes me think just about anyone with a modicum of skill could make it - enable it to - sound marvelous.

Boy oh boy, would I love to have that opportunity! I do what I can with my 1917 plain A.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

"His legendary Fern F-5 is equally compelling... I might even prefer its tone over Crusher's... tough call."
    I agree the Fern is special. Jason did some video of Dawg playing and talking about his Fern the same day he did this video of Crusher so hopefully we will see that additional video out sometime soon.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markd For This Useful Post:

He talked about Crusher (recorded most of Dawg 90 with it, and to Journey Bear's point, not really a traditional BG record) on a pre-pay video thing he did during the lock downs, he also played the 25 F5, and some others including his Gil Octave and a Ralph Rinzler F5 and one of his Giacomels- while Crusher is as the name invokes, I had to admit for overall best tone I thought the Giacomel won. All these 100+ year old mandolins have lives attached to them, wonderful to hear those stores told by those with personal relationships to them.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Thanks for that input. (Pun not intended, but welcomed.) It is a great-sounding instrument, and the equipment used to present that so faithfully does it justice. As much as David Grisman is a great player - arguably the best ever - this mandolin has so much inherent presence and musicality that he barely touches the strings and it sings, loudly and clearly. That makes me think just about anyone with a modicum of skill could make it - enable it to - sound marvelous.

Boy oh boy, would I love to have that opportunity! I do what I can with my 1917 plain A.
    To illustrate your point and to show how the individual player's technique influences tone, the Tone Poets album that Grisman produced features Crusher being played by a number of top artists. Grisman's tone,timing,and technique are,in my opinion, as unique as Crusher

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Parker View Post
    To illustrate your point and to show how the individual player's technique influences tone, the Tone Poets album that Grisman produced features Crusher being played by a number of top artists. Grisman's tone,timing,and technique are,in my opinion, as unique as Crusher
    I can't believe I forgot about Tone Poets. Really neat project.

I know I'm far from alone here but, Mr. Grisman & his tone were my mandolin gateway drug.