Thread: NMC Bass preamp

Default NMC Bass preamp

At Pagosa Folk and Rock and Roll Festival I met someone who played a uke bass through a Bose bluetooth speaker that sounded fantastic. She had a preamp but I didn't see what kind.
    So my wife Pat and I forsee the day we just can't handle Alice, her 52 Kay in these festival situations. I built her an acoustic bass in the 90's which has a piezo/mic setup that needs a stereo preamp. We use a Raven to a GK amp but I have a Boston Acoustic Oontz speaker that I think might work in a jam situation but would want a more compact pre than the Raven and would need to be battery powered.
    So if you read all that would anyone have a suggestion?

Default Re: NMC Bass preamp

My friend runs a Roland Micro Cube, batteries, doesn't need a preamp. Her uke bass sounds just fine.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Yeah, Micro Cube's have a preamp. I'm trying to use something that doesn't.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Thanks Brian. I hadn't seen those.
    Doesn't look like it will blend a piezo and mic but still sounds like a good option. There's the Baggs Mix Pro that is supposed to do the blend.
    However I played into the BA Oontz with the Raven Labs and it took a lot of gain and had a latency, the note behind when you pluck it. Kind of discouraging.
    The rig this lady had in Pagosa was amazing. Just a small Bose speaker and it was really good bass sound.

Have you looked at the Headway EDB-2? https://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/pr...h-e-pre-order/

Hi, Mark!
    I'm sure the Headway is top notch, but you have to see our campsite at Pagosa. Pretty primitive. And part of the concept is to be able to shlep the whole rig around the campground. The Raven Lab would work, it's battery powered but really too big and heavy.
    I think I need to start looking at amps.

Maybe something like the K&K Trinity preamp will do the job: Tiny, runs on 9V battery, feeds pickup and internal mic.
    Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass

K&K looks good.

Behringer makes some pretty amazingly inexpensive pedals that can run on a 9v battery, including a couple for bass (a tube modeling preamp and an equalizer at least). Might be worth trying to see if one fits your needs. I use one of their tube modeling guitar preamps with my harmonica mic and it works very well.

SansAmp Bass Driver, either the single channel model or the programmable one. Been using the programmable one for decades for the ol' Fender...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    Hi, Mark!
    I'm sure the Headway is top notch, but you have to see our campsite at Pagosa. Pretty primitive. And part of the concept is to be able to shlep the whole rig around the campground. The Raven Lab would work, it's battery powered but really too big and heavy.
    I think I need to start looking at amps.
    Hey Jim -
    I'm pretty sure the Headway can run off batteries as well.

For all of my bass needs, I use a two channel Acoustic Image head, impedence matched for piezo pickups, built in high pass filter, xlr inputs for the microphone on both channels, and made right down the road in Raleigh. Combine that with an ACME cab and the low end voice is incredible.

They also have the best warranty in the business- lifetime for whomever is the current owner, no questions asked.

As much as the double bass player & builder in me doesn't like to admit it, I've had a fantastic gig sound and really enjoyed myself playing a tiny little rubber stringed uke bass....
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

I also use an AI Clarus head with Acme cabs, fed by the aforementioned SansAmp Bass Driver. The sound is perfect.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut