Thread: Mandocello C string buzz

Default Mandocello C string buzz

I recently picked up a very nice barely used Gold Tone Mandocello.

I'm getting sting buzz on my C string on all fretted notes and when played open. All of the other strings are fine.

The action is very low and it's strung with flatwounds. The bridge is adjusted fairly high already and raising it further on the bass side didn't help. The neck seems straight visually.

I've never used flatwounds on any of my mando family instruments, but I don't think that should make a difference...

The only thing I can think of is getting a taller nut.

I love the sound of the instrument and have been having a hell of a good time playing it, but the buzz is driving me nuts!

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Mandocello C string buzz

I've had this same issue with mine. Also Gold Tone. Maybe it's the instrument?
    Samuel Acus

2021 Duff Two-Point
    2004 Weber Gallatin F5
    2021 Gold Tone 5-String Electric
    1936 (?) Kalamazoo A5
    1940s Regal Guitar

I have a classical guitar whose G string misbehaves like that. I haven’t seen fit to take the time to fix it yet but a good luthier I’ve known for decades suggested that it may be that the angle of the saddle is wrong under that string.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

Gold tone does make a set of strings specifically for that instrument ( I put them on mine) the C is a 0.70 not the standard .074.

raising the bridge is probably in order, as suggested above it could be many things
    if you know someone who can set it up properly that will make the world of a difference.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

You need to find someone to set it up for you, but I suspect a problem with the bridge saddle - which is to say the strings not making clean contact with the saddle either because the saddle has slots cut too wide (for regular PB strings), or because it's chipped, or because it has a "flat" top so the strings don't have a clean "single point of contact". If the strings in the pair are too close together, then you can also get buzzing from the two strings slapping into each other, especially if you have a heavy right hand.

Don't mess with the nut, it's not that if it buzzes when fretted.

I have a Gold Tone and only get it to buzz if I am really hammering on it, seems fine in normal playing. Have not tried changing strings from what came on it though.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolinian View Post
    I've had this same issue with mine. Also Gold Tone. Maybe it's the instrument?
    I sure hope it's not the instrument...

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    You need to find someone to set it up for you, but I suspect a problem with the bridge saddle - which is to say the strings not making clean contact with the saddle either because the saddle has slots cut too wide (for regular PB strings), or because it's chipped, or because it has a "flat" top so the strings don't have a clean "single point of contact". If the strings in the pair are too close together, then you can also get buzzing from the two strings slapping into each other, especially if you have a heavy right hand.

Don't mess with the nut, it's not that if it buzzes when fretted.
    Well, that's interesting. The C string buzzes open, and on all the fretted notes. It looks like every fretted note is buzzing against the next higher fret. The action is really low.

The first thing I suspected was my technique, because the 'cello is so different than a mandolin, or even a 12 string guitar. So I tried playing very lightly and made sure to fret cleanly and I still get buzz.

So yeah, getting a good setup is probably a good idea...

Thanks!

Yeah, I kinda thought it was my playing at first, but I have been playing lightly to minimize the issue, but it never goes away.