Thread: Stewmac mini Tele kit as 6 string tenor guitar?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Stewmac mini Tele kit as 6 string tenor guitar?

Stewmac has a really inexpensive 6 string mini Telecaster electric guitar kit which is cute as all getout;

https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-pro...ic-guitar-kit/

Tuned normally, it plays an octave higher than a standard 6 string Tele. I have no need for an electric guitar but I was wondering if there would be any way to string and tune this as a 6 string tenor. I'd want GDAE or some other fifths tuning on the middle four strings, with an extra lower and higher fifth tuned strings. I play mostly Irish trad but I couldn't take this to a session, obviously, but for $99 it could be a really fun quiet practice guitar.

Oh, important detail...it has a REALLY short scale length; 16.3". I don't know how to figure stringing and tuning for different scale lengths. Any advice appreciated.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Default Re: Stewmac mini Tele kit as 6 string tenor guitar?

I actually posted a link to these a couple of years ago. I still think it's a cheap way to get into an electric. I just looked and people weren't making them tenor guitars they were making them mandolins or mandolas.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...r-kits-on-sale
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I have one of each of these kits with the same intention on at least one.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Stewmac has a really inexpensive 6 string mini Telecaster electric guitar kit which is cute as all getout;

https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-pro...ic-guitar-kit/

Tuned normally, it plays an octave higher than a standard 6 string Tele. I have no need for an electric guitar but I was wondering if there would be any way to string and tune this as a 6 string tenor. I'd want GDAE or some other fifths tuning on the middle four strings, with an extra lower and higher fifth tuned strings. I play mostly Irish trad but I couldn't take this to a session, obviously, but for $99 it could be a really fun quiet practice guitar.

Oh, important detail...it has a REALLY short scale length; 16.3". I don't know how to figure stringing and tuning for different scale lengths. Any advice appreciated.
    Octave4Plus strings for CGDAEB Tuning will work & the shorter scale length might help. Get a Boss Kantana Portable Amp so you can use them in Sessions.

Magma makes the GCT-Cello String set it's a 5th Tuned Classical Guitar String set tuned C, G, D, A, E, B. The High B is made out of a Special Nylon to make it super strong. Tying Ball Ends onto the strings will help.