Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nickel Creek

I hear them on some public radio station in the mountains of North Carolina on a canoe trip. I looked into them a little more and <bam> now I'm a pretty big fan. Discussion?

Love em! And the fact that you posted this topic in the rock forum would lead me tothink you would really dig the new album. You can really hear the pop influence. I think it is great, but you will hear MANY different opinions.
    Phyn

oops! Yeah, I totally just saw "folk" and clicked on it. I've listened to the first and the newest, but nothing in between yet. Don't worry, I'm workin' on it!

Them folks is good musicians, no doubt about that.
    The are distancing from the 'bluegrass' fold and that is okay.
    That boy is a purty good mandolin player, no doubt about that!

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been a fan for a long time, and just saw them live for my first time-amazing playing by Mr Thile. With him playing complex and incredibly fast and fluid lines appears effortless.

I really enjoy their sound, although they are hard to classify. "New Acoustic" perhaps? Chris has a tone that's recognizable anywhere and a virtuosity that's stunning. In my opinion he's one of the greats already.

I never got to see Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Miles Davis, or John Coltrane, Bill Monroe, etc. But with any luck I'll be able to see Thile continue to develop and produce amazing stuff for years to come.

Larry

Yeah, I'm going to see them here in a few weeks over in Lexington... I can't wait to see that man play live.

i can't go, but they are playing in boston tonight. some say dirivative, and that may be so, but i say truly innovative

nickel creek...nothin short of amazing. chris thile? who's that? is that the guy who plays that funny looking guitar thingy? no but really, chris thile is just a great musician, his knowledge of music surpasses most any great musician and that's one reason he is so good. although, sean and sara are two people that tend to rid in the shadow of thile, but realistically they are both incredible as well. just last night i was thinking to myself, what if chris thile would have stuck with guitar and sean watkins would have stuck with the mandolin? there's no doubt that nickel creek would still be famous, but we would instead be talking about the next great tony rice or something along those lines. and sean would have been just a monster on mando as well. he can play that thing pretty darn well too. it kind of makes me sick to listen to him play mando and chris play guitar....i want some of that talent, pass it down, don't hog it all!!

but anyways, nickel creek is great, i have been a fan for a very long time now, and i have seen them in concert about 7 times now, and i saw thile and edgar once which was mind blowing.

IMHO, Thile is technically brilliant, but Nickel Creek is generally aesthetically uninteresting, with the exception of a few tracks. With the new CD, NC has joined the vast wasteland of formulaic pop schlock.

johnny, come on tell us how you really feel!

Quote Originally Posted by
    OK, Thile needs a shave, a decent haircut and posture lessons too!

i'd like to hear thile play with his technique and the 'taste' of jethro.....
    sean plays very well himself....
    sara is kinda hot
    i like 'em

But did they enjoy their canoe trip? Does Chris take along the dude, or his "beater" MM? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by (jflynnstl @ Oct. 06 2005, 20:16)
    OK, Thile needs a shave, a decent haircut and posture lessons too!
    Hey jflynnstl,

I'm not sure if you're just being a little sarcastic to get a rile out of people or if you're being sincere. Either way, I guess it doesn't really matter. It seems that for all the reasons you mention it's exactly why Chris is generally admired and has turned on a whole new generation of kids to the mandolin and acoustic music. Being technically brilliant, he gets people's attention for his musical talent and because he often looks desheveled and doesn't really care about 'dressing/cleaning up' while performing he appeals to a younger generation.

saw them in Burlington on the 1st of October and Chris's energy on stage is wicked....he doesnt stop and to watch him play just blows your mind! I think the new cd for NC is excellent, if you have not bought it yet, you should! Chris is the main reason that I decided to learn how to play this beautiful instrument.

Yeah Johnny,

We all know you wear baggy cords and Simple shoes and have a poster of Thile in your practice room.

I've been listening to them forever (always enjoyed them) but just saw them for the first time this past Friday in NYC. I've seen lots of memorable concerts in my realatively long lifetime. This would have to have been one of the most impressive shows I've ever seen in any genre of music. The sophistication of the material, the complexity of the arrangements the virtuosity of each member of the band (instrumentally and vocally), the energy that just seemed to crackle and come off the stage, were all just totally mind bending. Count me as a HUGE fan!!!
    Bluegrass ... "It's Folk Music With An Overbite" (Robert Shelton)
    www.waynefugate.com

but is it bluegrass!

JUST JOKING- PLEASE DON"T FLAME, thile and co. always seem to bring up these queries, as if he couldn't and hasn't played every style of music imaginable.

hey johnny, just read in rolling stone that thile is doing a disc w/jack white. i KNOW you'll love that.....

hey johnny, just read in rolling stone that thile is doing a disc w/jack white. i KNOW you'll love that.....
    Well I take all back. He really has street creds now! Personal prediction: Thile will soon marry Rene Zellweger on the rebound from Kenny Chesney. Rene obviously has a thing for pop stars with one foot out of the closet.

Saw em last night here in Baltimore...really really good show. High energy, tight arrangements, a really nice overall show. Mark Schatz on bass doesn't hurt either!

Tim O'Brien tomorrow at the Ram's Head in Annapolis!

Jeff

fangsdaddy, is the jack white with thile thing true???
    if so, though i don't own any of thile's cds i would be it. jack white's collaboration with loretta lynn is one of my fav. discs in the past bunch of years and i am not a country or white stripes fan- just a great blend of styles.

no ira it isn't. i wanted to pull johnny's chain a little. but i agree w/you on the loretta disc.

hey johnny, what's this supposed to mean:
    "Rene obviously has a thing for pop stars with one foot out of the closet."

btw, the phrase is "street cred" (no plural)

fangsdaddy:

Cred or creds? I've heard it and seen it in print both ways. And since when are correcting each others grammar and spelling on this site, especially when it comes to slang? What would be the point?

Well, I should think that someone like yourself with obvious street cred, or creds, would be able to figure the image out. Think Tom Cruise, think Liza's ex. You get the picture.

Blog Entries

Johnny, Are you saying the single should be "When out in Rome?"

Even if it was, would it matter... should it? No and No.
    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +