Thread: The new ‘ukelele’

Default The new ‘ukelele’

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42C51CB7-3CCB-4AA1-9256-D18FD6505CFC.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	201100Here’s a SGW ‘ukelele’ I picked up recently. Since it’s nice and close to playable, identity might be interesting, and I have a question about the bridge. In the bowl, no label but an unreadable round sticker. Tuner buttons appear to be brown-dyed bone. Extra edging on the bowl skirt edge. Knob-type tailpiece.
    The bridge probably had a flat bone insert on the front edge, so the strings are located by (now partial) grooves in the adjacent wood. Who used this type? I’ll restore this one. There are also two adjacent pearl-topped glued dots (one missing) to locate the bridge.

Name:	4859AF4A-0D2E-4DEB-BA8B-6955C5156BCF.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	855.1 KB 
ID:	201098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4D4676AD-1935-49FB-A5C9-46AB40217E03.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	610.4 KB 
ID:	201099

Default Re: The new ‘ukelele’

What's that under the strings by the tailpiece?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    What's that under the strings by the tailpiece?
    Looks like a piece of felt or leather to mute overtones. Can't tell what the material is in the pic.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I am away from my computer but my guess would be Stridente. IIRC they usually have round labels. I love those darkish brown buttons on the tuners. My de-accessed DeMeglio had those.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Red felt, also at the nut. This instrument so untouched that the dampers are likely original. You will also see this under tailpiece covers as they can cause buzzes.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yes, I've had a couple old Gibsons like that - a little strip of felt inside the tailpiece under the strings. I thought it was to eliminate any abrasion on the strings from the metal - or vice versa - but defeating random extraneous noise would be another good reason.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am away from my computer but my guess would be Stridente. IIRC they usually have round labels. I love those darkish brown buttons on the tuners. My de-accessed DeMeglio had those.
    Given the suggestion, looked at some photos, and think you’re spot on. They either were making a lot of these, or many survived, or both. This one doesn’t look its age; not even the celluloid. Based on a Tavy video, should sound solid too. Then on to the thrift store Calace with the cervical issue.

Why do you call this obvious mandolin a ukulele ?

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I imagine that Richard saw it advertised as a ukulele by an unknowing seller, Dave?
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I suspect that’s often the case on SGW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    Why do you call this obvious mandolin a ukulele ?

Dave H
    Called it a ‘ukulele’; perhaps should have used full quotation marks. Anyway, UK folks, in the US we have a network of somewhat questionable charity thrift stores called Goodwill, with an online store, Shopgoodwill, (SGW). It is an auction site, but operates (mostly) on donated items that are only vaguely characterized with photographs, and frequently mislabelled. So far, I’ve ‘won’ about ten mandolins, one mandola, one baglama that have been represented as lutes, ukuleles, medieval guitars, and even banjos. In return for buying no-return and blind, there’s some fun in finding something nice, and as I’ve been (lockdown and caregiving strictures) playing repairman. All, of course, for small money. I don’t bid on the obvious high ticket antique Gibsons etc. as these often go beyond retail for the usual auction reasons. And I’d rather not do something amateurish in repairing a sought-after quality instrument.
    A few weeks ago I received a 1921 Calace with a probably more valuable original case, and I have enjoyed an Aquila flatback and an interesting homemade or adapted instrument with very different voices. Bowl back voicing appeals to me.
    So, for the price of a paper bag (sack?) of groceries or a paperback book, you too can have a three, four, seven, eight, twelve or sixteen string adventure!

13. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Headstock and the bottom of the mandolin matches with my Stridente (see below).

Name:	36_1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	201106 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strid_fb_sm.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	201107 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stridente_hdstk-ft.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	201108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stridente_hdstk-bk.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	201109
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1