Thread: MIJ KM1000 vx Dawg

Default MIJ KM1000 vx Dawg

Something I've always wanted to know but only have half the experience. There was once a mid 1980's KM 1000 in house that seemed to me to be a fair mandolin, but I've passed on a few KM Dawg's over the years online and wonder if there's broad generalization out there if one seems to sound better than the other. Sadly, I've never played or put on the Dawg.

Yes, it's accepted that all mandolins are individuals and there are exceptions. What say you?

Default Re: MIJ KM1000 vx Dawg

I had an 84 KM-Dawg that was stellar sounding. However, I found my hands would cramp a fair bit and I sold it.

I have an 85 KM-650. It is a good sounding mandolin but not on the same level as the Dawg or my 2007 Kimble F5.
    Kirk

2007 Kimble F5
    1985 Kentucky KM 650

3. The following members say thank you to Kirk Higgins for this post:

Tried several 80s Kentuckys, three KM-1000s, two KM-1500 and three KM-Dawgs. I found the 1500 better than the 1000. The KM-Dawgs (i owned one of the last ones, called KM-2000 by that time, for a year) sounded by far the best to me.

H A - Was wondering about the KM-1500 also. Just the kind of stories I'm looking for. Thanks very much.
    - dy

The KM-1000 series began around 1980 and to my ears, the earlier examples of this model are the best sounding, though not the best fit and finish. The KM 1500s were more expensive and the ones I have played are not as strong sounding as the early KM1000 to my ears.... I recall reading somewhere the tone bars in the KM-1000 and the KM-1500 are different lengths... the KM-DAWG came along in circa 1983 with with arched fret boards. John Monteleone no doubt was an inspiration and an education to this small shop during the early 1980s. He also influenced the KH-DAWG mandola and the KK-DAWG mandocello. By 1983 the factory's fit and finish had become more refined and the KM-1000 and the KM- DAWG mandolins present beautifully! I think they can sound great... for the price point the MIJ Kentucky instruments are excellent values and seem to follow patterns of transitioning sound quality as the 1980s ticked by... what fun they must have had crafting them back in the day.

At one point, I checked out an early KM 1000, which felt rather stiff, to say the least.
    On the other hand, a young Ronnie McCoury sounded really fine on a KM 1000. Here's Ronnie with his dad and the Dixie Pals in the Netherlands in 1983:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-20 um 23.37.56.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	526.7 KB 
ID:	201186

8. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

ttp and AH - Thanks for the informative and useful information. I learned some things from both your posts.