Thread: Mosrite Electric Mandolin

Default Mosrite Electric Mandolin

I have never seen one of these before and have no idea when it was made. It's the sort of thing that Joe Maphis might have owned but he had those double necks with the octave guitar which I imagine sufficed if he wanted to get an electric mandolin sound. I was lucky enough to meet Larry and Lorrie Collins a while back which is as close as I got to Joe.
    I reckon getting one of these priced has to be a "suck it and see" kite-flying exercise but maybe folks around here have seen these before and have an opinion on value. Now if Tiny Moore had owned one then things might be somewhat different.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23452751442...ndition=4%7C10

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mosrite Electric Mandolin

It's a - what, now? Never heard of such a thing, and even now seeing isn't exactly believing. I'd be more credulous if it had a scaled-down version of the distinctive Mosrite headstock, but this ... Also, what is going on with the redrilled tuning post holes? Does saying something is "custom" explain away otherwise unexplainable features? I dunno.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosrite 1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	200886 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosrite 2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	200887 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosrite 4.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	200889 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosrite 8.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	200893 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosrite 3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	200888 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosrite 5.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	200890 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosrite 6.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	200891 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosrite 7.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	200892

This looks to me more like something slapped together as a well-let's-see than even a prototype. The placement of the tuners, plus their inconsistency in coloring make for some headscratching. And what's going on in the last pic - are those fuses? This whole thing looks pretty - well, I was going to say "hinky," but in a nod to its putative California roots, I think "gnarly" will do.

And at $3150, it probably belongs in the won't-get-a-bid thread.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Well, that's much better-looking. It looks like a real production model. The other ... maybe they were experimenting, with something more like this in mind as a goal. This is discreet and neat; the other ... a whole lot of this and that. And who knows what's under the masking tape?

Wonder how many were made and what the list price was? I see at Martin's site there was at least one made with a classic Mosrite headstock. It actually doesn't look as good as I'd hoped. Then the body shape doesn't, either. I've got a feeling they didn't put a lot of effort into this venture. Pun intended.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

What's under the masking tape - holes.
    I don't think there was any "they" (meaning Mosrite) experimenting on this instrument, looks to me like a bunch of owner customization.

Appears to be the same exact mandolin that is on the emando website, added tuner, changed/added pickups, added battery doors, changed bridge, added knobs, ect. I'd vote for it being an owner-modified concoction with amateurish skill and dubious pedigree. The Mosrite peghead decal/silkscreen looks phony to me. It lacks, IMHO, several of the better known Mosrite hallmarks -- that is, a zero fret, bolt-on neck, Mosrite pickups, Mosrite knobs, Kluson tuners, etc. The blue tape is hiding the holes where the original tailpiece went. The mandolin on the emando website looks like it has a Japan mid-60's guitar pickup -- I'm not sure if that would be original to the mandolin, since 99.9% of 60's Japanese instruments had a bolt-on neck. I will say the "footprint" of the original four tuners, while not Kluson, does appear to be vintage USA Waverly, as seen on 50's/60's Gretsch guitars -- that info actually proves nothing, except usually handmade USA instruments back then used USA parts, whereas a Japan-made instrument would more than likely have MIJ tuners. Very weird, for sure....not sure if it is actually a Mosrite. OTOH, the fingerboard "tiny dot" position markers DO LOOK LIKE MOSRITE, same as the Ventures model, for example....

Bottom line -- I ain't buying it -- ESPECIALLY at that price!!! Plus, it's ugly, IMHO...
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Apr-30-2022 at 4:21pm.

7. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Nevin 

Maybe Martin who owns the Emando site will chime in here with more info.

I had the privilege of hanging with Tiny Moore some at Ashokan camp in the 1980s. He did not bring his Bigsby mandolin but he did have the copy that Robert’s was making at that time. In bought one from Tiny and played it some.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ed Elliot worked for Semie Moseley at Mosrite and has been building Mosrite Guitars and Bigsby mandolin clones. He's on the Cafe and has a presence on Facebook as well. He seems to be the go to guy for Mosrite information as well if anyone is serious about learning about these things.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-30-2022 at 4:48pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    I don't think there was any "they" (meaning Mosrite) experimenting on this instrument, looks to me like a bunch of owner customization.
    Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. A chicken-egg which-came-first deal. Just because I saw the one for sale first doesn't mean it actually came first. Hopefully Martin or even Ed will chime in and set us all straight with facts instead of guesses, good as they may be.

one thing we all agree on - way overpriced.

Blog Entries

Actually, there's a ton of verbiage further down in the listing. Should've looked. It did indeed start as a 4-string and has been customized. Some other things are explained, like all the extra electronics, including "a 13 pin output, ghost saddle piezo pickups driving that plus a Fender Lace Sensor (vintage 1994) in the bridge position plus a Sustainiac Sustainer in the neck position." I'm gonna guess one last time and say that's why the price is so high. In the hands of a hard-drivin' rock 'n' roller, this could be wild.

There's also a demo video. It gets pretty scary, especially when he gets into the theremin zone. Something happens in the middle of it, though - from :39 to 2:09 it's out of sync.

Last edited by journeybear; Apr-30-2022 at 5:22pm. Reason: further research

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Something happens in the middle of it, though - from :39 to 2:09 it's out of sync.
    That's just special for you. :-)
    Works fine for me.

Blog Entries

Huh. Seems to be working for me now. Did it twice in a row at the time, same places. Weird. I am SO looking forward to the arrival of my new computer.

By the way, I happened upon this article about Nudie Cohn's electric Mosrite mandolin. I didn't know he was a player. And of all things, to own one of these. Nice to see it is properly blinged-out, in keeping with Nudie's fashion sense.

There's a half of a second glimpse of that mandolin in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDNcVShw0Bw

Blog Entries

Actually, that's his acoustic, in the glimpse at 1:40. Also heavily decorated. There's a photo of him with it in the article.

By the way, he immigrated from Kyiv before the Revolution, when he was just 11 - just him and his brother. He had quite a life.

Yes, I should have visited that Vintage Guitar article about his mandolins. Of course, Dave Apollon left after the Revolution had started- heading east. I once knew a man who had been in Petrograd when Lenin kicked it all off and he had a few pithy things to say about events back then- but as we are here to discuss musical instruments I will not elaborate.

Blog Entries

Aha! Finally managed to get these pics to upload.* I don't know whether Nudie (born Nuta Kotlyarenko) blinged out these instruments himself - wouldn't surprise me - but I suspect the Mosrite was presented as is, which fits with the story.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nudie Electrical.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	200910 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nudie Electric Back.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	200913 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nudie Acoustic.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	409.5 KB 
ID:	200908

* (I'm on my backup computer, the one I replaced with my snazzy computer couple of years ago - which died a few weeks ago. This still works, but it's rough, and is all too happy to demonstrate why I replaced it. New one arriving soon.)
    Last edited by journeybear; May-01-2022 at 8:45am. Reason: computer issues

I’m surprised no one mentioned how ugly that thing is, both of them.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Nudie had other mandolins as well. Hopefully I linked the right thread this time.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

This is the lad who bought that Mosrite on eBay; presumably he performed all the mods and is now the seller.
    http://emando.com/players/Biff.htm

I'm aware of only 4 Mosrite e-mandos; the other 3 all have the same body style as Nudie's.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The owner is named Biff, but not this Biff. Unless the photo is old. The Biff in the demo (last name, Moyer) is an older gentleman. But he could be the same guy, judging from the interests named in the description. That looks like a made-up name, for sure. Who knows?

The photo at Emando.com is more than a decade old ... the pseudonym sounds like something from Guliver's Travels ... who am I to judge?

I did find one of his Reptile Palace Orchestra CDs at the thrift store the other day; it's from 1999 and he's credited as "Biff Uranus."
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

I'll bet it's all the same Biff. He seems to be quite a character - or a whole batch of them, a bushel of Biffs. And that gizmo has a lot of character. It sounds very Hendrixian, but with no whammy bar.

Blog Entries

Well, with insomnia hounding me and curiosity getting the better of me, I thought I'd do a bit of sleuthing. The emando bio mentions some bands (and lots of "played with" credits), including The Gomers and the aforementioned Reptile Palace Orchestra, based in Madison WI. They have a wikipedia page, which includes a link to Biff's wikipedia page. There we learn his given name - not Biff - and his legally adopted name - Biff Uranus Blumfumgagnge - and if one follows a link, one can learn much more about him. He seems to be, as previously surmised, quite a character, indeed, and also quite busy and accomplished in many ways. And since he is reportedly 58 years old, that is quite possibly him in the demo video - don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, even with the last name Moyer, most likely a youtube pseudonym. After all, the windup of his bio at emando states: "My most prized electric mando would be an ultra-rare Mosrite set-neck 4-string, made by Semie Moseley himself—supposedly for a production run that never happened. Looks to be from about '58 or so. It has a remarkable radius on the neck, super bending possible. Thank you, eBay!" It's fair to assume that statement was proferred before the modifications we now see.

Certainly an interesting instrument, and if, indeed, a Mosrite prototype it might have some value to a collector -- this is, if it were original, clean, with original case and (most importantly) proper documentation proving it as such. That is, it doesn't really look like other instruments created by Mosrite. This one, however, is heavily and poorly owner modified and most of the mods are things that can't be undone, unfortunately. I mean, really, putting an ugly Chinese bridge and plastic battery doors on a supposed 50's/60's vintage USA instrument! Who does that?

The value, IMHO, would take a special person to even want it in its present state. It only takes one buyer, as they say, but is there ANOTHER Biff in a world with "only" 8 Billion people?

For me, a 50's Fender "mandocaster" would be a better investment and a very cool looking instrument, which the Mosrite is not, IMHO. Even so, I would have no use for it, musically, other than pride of ownership and having fun for the first hour and then putting it away in its case. Or, I could save $3000 and put a capo on my telecaster......YMMV.

27. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post: