Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yay or nay to a strap button

Default Re: Yay or nay to a strap button

Nope.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I have one on some mangos and not on others (ignoring the strap hanger models).
    Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    However, I'd never install one on a banana.
    Yeah, no, don't. It's a slippery slope.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I have never added a strap button to a mandolin that lacked one (including a 1924 Gibson A snakehead) or removed a strap button from a mandolin that had one.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

5. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by SWS View Post
    With respect- I am curious, how many you’ve seen? Do you think it’s a concern with a properly installed strap button?
    I don't now the exact number, but it is the range of several hundred.

"Properly" has quite a range of opinion on this website!!!!!

Not only does it bug me as a technician, but as a player I can't stand all of that trash in the way of a tiny little mandolin heel.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    Not only does it bug me as a technician, but as a player I can't stand all of that trash in the way of a tiny little mandolin heel.
    I am with James on this. For the same reason I don't tie right behind the nut, I don't like the strap on the heel. It's hard to play up there with a strap and button on that little neck.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Doesn't bother me a bit. But to each his or her own. As the NH license plate says, "Live Free And Play."

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

9. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Nay, nay! Putting one of those things on alters the originality, and it's something that's a deal breaker for me every time. We're only caretakers of these old instruments, and there's some responsibility that goes with that stewardship. Besides, the repair to fill the hole left from the strap button screw that somebody just couldn't live without usually looks pretty tacky....no disrespect intended to the luthier community.

Sure, i get that it's property and there are rights that go with that. But again, ownership is only temporary.

I mostly use a chair , playing sitting down.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

How about if the strap button was on the peghead above the tuners? The only interference would be with that Snark everybody talks about. it would balance better too.

Having the strap interfering with the tuners is a pain, but I do it on some. It is soooo hard to tune the mangos, you have to do something.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

When I bought my A5 from Michael Heiden, he asked me if I wanted a strap button installed. I said yes.

I own an A-style Smart Mandola, purchased directly from Larry (through TME). It has a strap button, which was done by Larry, himself.

I recently bought a rarely-seen-out-in-the-wild Arrow GBOM. The strap button is right on the back of the heel cap (like a Gibson ES335), which I would normally would cringe over, but it appears that Paul Lestock installed that button during the build. Now who am I to second-guess Paul? It actually makes it more comfortable to play too.

I think it all depends on who does the installation. It is an instrument, after all, and they are meant to be played.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Two of mine had strap buttons installed, I'm glad I got them anyway as they are great mandolins. I took the strap buttons off and used the headstock to attach the strap. Glad I didn't pass on them.
    I said in an earlier post that I’ve passed on a few, but I’ve also bought a few. The pictures are of an A5G. I tried to use the strap button, but the balance wasn’t right for me. I ended up removing it. It was installed off center and looks like the screw was over tightened causing an indentation and chipping. Maybe some felt would have helped. It is what it is and it doesn’t bother me too much because it has other cosmetic issues. In the end I’m glad I didn’t pass on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D212407B-1E56-4243-9394-03864931DD88.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	200918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C1E7ACB-ED75-4E1B-ACDA-4476128729B5.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	485.8 KB 
ID:	200919

Okay, okay, everything has been said – but not by me, yet. Wait – as you call yourself "mando red" – try to play like Red Rector (good advice anyhow) and play without a strap at all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-01 um 19.03.02.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	832.1 KB 
ID:	200920

16. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

I'm new to mando, with over 5 decades on guitars. I tried tying my strap at the neck/body joint and it was OK but maybe not perfect, so I tried tying it at the headstock and HATED it. It puts my mando in the wrong place for playing. I went back to the original and with some minor adjustments, it's perfect, comfortable, and very playable.

Here's how I did it, on my priceless Saga AM10 kit (with countless mistakes but still sounds good & fun to play.) I don't know whether it's work on yours. You might want to use a string rather than the leather strap to tie around the neck/body joint.

Name:	mando strap.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	908.9 KB 
ID:	200921

Frankly, it works better than I'd expect a button to work, because there's no tendency for the mando to roll forward, top away from me, as there would with a button on the bottom of the heel.

18. The following members say thank you to JeffLearman for this post:

I really don't have a strong opinion on this one way or the other, but I've owned 2 mandolins that came with strap buttons already installed, and I liked them just fine. I didn't find find that the button got in the way or felt uncomfortable, although I don't play that high on the neck a lot. I did like the way the mandolin hung with the strap button and the ease of use. I currently use the leather cord under the fingerboard extension method on my Weber Absaroka A-style, and that works great as well. I have noticed that a number of my favorite mandolinists who play A-style mandolin/octaves use strap buttons, including Tim O'Brien, Joe K Walsh, Eva Holbrook ( aka Lady Moon), Sara Jarosz (see her Mandolin Mondays video), and Sierra Hull (Weber D hole octave).

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

I wasn't gonna comment about, at least for me, the need to get the strap tied up near the tuners, until ...

... as a player I can't stand all of that trash in the way of a tiny little mandolin heel.
    Just say NO to strap buttons!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Never, not for any reason, guitar or mandolin.

Blog Entries

Wondering what the OP has to say about all this. Haven't heard. Has a decision been made yet?

Because left unattended, threads develop lives of their own and keep going ... and going ... and going ...

23. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    i mostly use a chair , playing sitting down.
    bingo
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Ahrend View Post
    Okay, okay, everything has been said – but not by me, yet. Wait – as you call yourself "mando red" – try to play like Red Rector (good advice anyhow) and play without a strap at all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-01 um 19.03.02.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	832.1 KB 
ID:	200920
    I did (and sometimes when I grab my instrument to just try a little something I still do). Yet it amazes me that he (like Tom T. Hall on a guitar) was able to produce a listenable tone.

How do you manage when playing like Red Rector?
    Olaf

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLearman View Post
    I'm new to mando, with over 5 decades on guitars. I tried tying my strap at the neck/body joint and it was OK but maybe not perfect, so I tried tying it at the headstock and HATED it. It puts my mando in the wrong place for playing. I went back to the original and with some minor adjustments, it's perfect, comfortable, and very playable.

Here's how I did it, on my priceless Saga AM10 kit (with countless mistakes but still sounds good & fun to play.) I don't know whether it's work on yours. You might want to use a string rather than the leather strap to tie around the neck/body joint.

Name:	mando strap.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	908.9 KB 
ID:	200921

Frankly, it works better than I'd expect a button to work, because there's no tendency for the mando to roll forward, top away from me, as there would with a button on the bottom of the heel.
    This kind of attachment works well with an elevated fretboard. But what would you advise someone with an A-style instrument that has a fretboard glued to the top (like the one in post no.1)?
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Wondering what the OP has to say about all this. Haven't heard. Has a decision been made yet?

Because left unattended, threads develop lives of their own and keep going ... and going ... and going ...
    Actually no one has really addressed my concern about the age of the wood. If there is a risk of it splitting while being drilled at 98 years of age.

28. The following members say thank you to mando-red for this post:

Blog Entries

Hmmm. Interesting. I have to say, you're right. That issue hasn't been addressed, specifically. The closest was Post #7:

90% of the broken neck heels I see are from poor strap button installations.
    which does mention the heel being broken, but not split, and doesn't specify the age of the wood as a factor. There have been some posts advising drilling a pilot hole to avoid damage, but again, not bringing in the age. Perhaps that's seen as a given?

Thanks for ringing in. It helps when threads get some guidance. Left on our own ... hoo boy ...

PS: After further rumination, it occurred to me that most posts here, positive and negative regarding possible damage to the instrument, have been in the nature of suggesting alternatives to this operation - be they cautioning against doing it, or doing something else altogether. If you are dead set on doing this, please take this input into consideration, in the spirit in which it has been given.

Good luck, whatever you do.
    Last edited by journeybear; May-02-2022 at 12:08pm. Reason: further ruminations

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    This kind of attachment works well with an elevated fretboard. But what would you advise someone with an A-style instrument that has a fretboard glued to the top (like the one in post no.1)?
    It might or might not work. I'd try a string or thin leather strap where my strap is tied, and tie the strap to that. I think there's enough lip on the OP's mando for this to work, but maybe not.

It would be nice to see a picture from the side or at an angle. I can't find good side angle shots on the web.

Question Re: Yay or nay to a strap button

Watching Jethro Burns during his long partnership with Homer Haynes ,,
    he didn't need a strap at all..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Some folks physical size will allow playing without a strap, others won't. Kind of like hand size and what neck fits your hand.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!