Thread: Jarrod Walker's Loar?

Default Jarrod Walker's Loar?

Anybody know any info on it? He has posted pics on social media but I am curious if anyone knows anything else about it. Sounds great through their sound reinforcement with Billy Strings.

Default Re: Jarrod Walker's Loar?

The last mando I saw him post about I believe is a 2005 Gibson MM, but I could mistaken!

I saw an instagram post from Jarrod’s luthier in Nashville saying that it was indeed a 2005 master model f5 signed by Charlie Derrington. Must be a killer mandolin to replace his Wienman f5!
    Ty Stevens
    Hendersonville, NC

2012 Northfield Big Mon #179
    1924 Gibson A jr.
    1993 Flatiron 1N

Ah I just saw a picture of him holding it. To my untrained eye it certainly had the Loar vibe. Great sounding instrument.

“It’s a Gibson distressed model.” Text from Jarrod himself.

6. The following members say thank you to danielpatrick for this post:

Well shoot. Guess this thread title should be "Jarrod Walker's DMM".

Quote Originally Posted by danielpatrick View Post
    “It’s a Gibson distressed model.” Text from Jarrod himself.
    Did he say it was a Derrington signed DMM? Looks an awfully lot like the one that I had...

V-70429, a side-bound non-distressed MM, would be the only one Charlie Derrington signed in 2005 – to my humble knowledge.
    Last edited by Hendrik Ahrend; Apr-26-2022 at 10:22am.

I thought Charlie was out of the signature business at the end of 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    I thought Charlie was out of the signature business at the end of 2004.
    That's basically right, except that Charlie did, indeed, sign the aforementioned MM (on Jan. 8th 2005), quite possibly as a favor for his workmate at Gibson, Billy Lilly, the original owner of that F5.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post:

"Must be a killer mandolin to replace his Wienman f5!"

When I first saw this I was thinking the same thing. I really like Jarrod's playing, he is one of the best in my book, there is something about the way he relates to and connects with the instrument that really sets him apart whatever mando he's playing. Anyway, I saw Jarrod with Billy Strings at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville last Fri. night and Jarrod was playing his Wienman again, and as usual he sounded amazing.

I saw him in Concord, NC, last night. Man, Billy Strings is a a force of nature, and the rest of the band was phenomenal as well. Especially enjoyed seeing Jarrod and Alex! Jarrod was playing the Wienman last night as well. We were covered but outdoors with rain all day. Temp was nice but the humidity was very high. Maybe the Wienman is his beater now, lol? Or maybe it amplifies better in those environments? Or maybe (like me and I suspect many of us) was just in a mood to play that one? It sounded great, for the record. Well, as great as it could have with the amplification and arena.

This was on the Willy Nelson headlined Outlaws Festival tour. We got there too late and missed Larkin Poe, but Charley Crockett, Billy and crew, and Nathaniel Rateliff were awesome. Willy’s still the man at 89, but it was interesting to see how the show has evolved. The last time I saw him he and Mickey carried the band and show (probably 6 or 8 years ago). Last night Willy certainly had his moments, but Lucas and the rest of the band really supported him well. And, Lucas has enough of his dad’s voice in his own that it worked pretty well. Pretty amazing to see someone at that age who can still play like he can. And, Trigger is still going strong!
    Chuck

I think not long after I posted this thread he switched back to playing the Weinman pretty much exclusively. Andy, their sound guy does a great job of amplifying a string band in large settings and I imagine changing things up like instruments can have an impact on whatever voodoo he works. Perhaps Jarrod, Billy or the band preferred the tone they were able to make with the Weinman. Additionally, I do recall perhaps it was the first Mandolins and Beer episode Jarrod was on, he talked about when he joined the band he needed something with more overtones and a little less dry as he was playing a Gibson Signature model (maybe an Alan Bibey model?) before so maybe its a similar situation with the Master Model where the tone of the Weinman just works better with what they are trying to accomplish. Surely sounds great to me every time I hear them play.

I'm not sure if this is still the case but Jarrod picked up a 2nd Weinman F5 not long ago: http://www.vintagebydesign.com/media.html