Thread: Waterloo No mandolins?!

Default Waterloo No mandolins?!

Was just checking out the Waterloo site as it’s been a couple year since owning my WL-M, and noticed there isn’t mandolins listed on the site anymore.

These are great mandos and the best flat-tops ever made.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waterloo No mandolins?!

Believe this is fairly common knowledge and I know it was communicated somewhere on this forum once that although Waterloo Guitars are still considered a part of the Collings line, very few have been produced since the start of the pandemic. Now put mandolins a long way down the wait list behind guitars which is what keeps the lights on. The short answer is it could be a long time before another new Waterloo mandolin is built. You have to remember Collings lost over 2/3 of their staff as a result of the pandemic. I recently had a conversation with their GM and he shared graphs from an Austin publication that chronicled median home prices increasing from $390K to $521K in just the past 12 months. Between 2010 and now population increased by over 500K. I didn't ask but the cost of property taxes surely skyrocketed with that. Not unlike Bend, Oregon where TOH/Weber/Bedell/Breedlove is located, a similar story of external factors that make being a niche business more difficult. Time for all those young tech bros in Austin to get interested in guitars.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Playing on the porch

There was a time when we considered Austin just a big town. But, according to the local newspaper, the Austin American-Statesman, from just a couple days ago, the median price for a home in Travis County, where Austin is located, is now at $630,000.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth violin

Blog Entries

Wow... someone just sent me this. It's even worse than I'd heard:

From the Austin Monitor: The median sales price of a home in Austin has surpassed $600,000

6. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

The mandolins were deleted from the lineup. While there might be more guitars, alas, there are no more mandolins being made.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Apr-18-2022 at 11:58am. Reason: oops, edited in error. our bad!
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Glad I got one of them. It's a seriously good flattop!

9. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    The mandolins were deleted from the lineup. While there might be more guitars, alas, there are no more mandolins being made.
    No more Waterloo Mandolins. I do believe I heard that now that I'm reminded. But that doesn't apply, so far, to Collings Mandolins just to be clear. Don't want anyone thinking that applied to Collings Mandolins.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

I feel the same exact way about mine. These are some heavy hitting flattops!

Mines become my #1.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member