Thread: Just replaced tuning machines on my Eastman 305 (and am proud!)

Default Just replaced tuning machines on my Eastman 305 (and am proud!)

As the title suggests, I just replaced the tuning machines on my mandolin, and I am pretty pumped I did it myself!!! A little backstory:
    So, I have now two mandolins: and Eastman 315, and now a 305. I bought the 315 new, intending to learn on it, a couple years ago. I started learning, and, life happens, put it down, and didnt touch it for a while. Personally, although I like the looks of an F style, it was never "comfortable" for me to play on. And, learning a new instrument, you want to eliminate what you can for distractions. Well, a couple months ago (actually, August), I was in SD, and was talking with a guy playing a local gig. He was a fellow lefty, and was playing an Eastman as well, A style. I told him I started playing a couple years, but stopped regularly practicing, but was considering getting back to it. Anyway, he let me strum a few notes on the A style, and I immediately found the style MUCH more to my liking. Fast forward to the beginning of November.
    I was poking around on Marketplace, and someone was selling an Eastman 305 lefty. He bought it during covid, played 3 months, then let it sit. I got a bargain for it, and picked it up.
    That evening, I brought it home, and it was WAY out of tune. So, starting to try to tune it up, one of the machine tuner knobs literally broke in half. I spent 2 hours trying to see if I could find a replacement, to little success. I came across a few threads here, talking about replacing the entire machines. Did a little research, and settled on Grovers. Ordered them, and they came in before Thanksgiving.
    Well, I was way too intimidated to try and swap out the machines myself, so I called a local luthier, who said he was booked until Feb. He said he could do a swap, the strings, and generally set the instrument up for me, but it would be a while before he could get to it. I told him I would contact him in Feb, and we could discuss it then.
    Well, today, as I was sitting there, practicing scales on the F style, I decided to simply try to replace them myself. My real concern was the bridge moving. Unfortunately, there wasnt a whole lot on Youtube for how to swap these out for mandolins. But, a TON on how to do it for guitars. I found a thread here that mentioned the Grover screw holes dont line up on either end of the machines, but the 3 middle ones do, and to use the Schaller screws for those, and then VERY SHALLOWLY AND SLOWLY tap a hole for each end screw, and use the Grover ones (which are smaller).
    So, I then proceeded to tape the bridge in place, and, one at a time, loosen the strings on one machine, remove the old one, put in the new one, and put fresh new strings on that side. I then roughly tuned that machine, then did the same for the other side.
    And, after about 2 hours of slow, steady work-I got it done. When finished, I then tuned the mando, played it a bit, and now, am at work, working overnight, and gonna play the strings in some, to get the instrument settled.
    So, for anyone who is intimidated by doing this, like I was: it CAN be done. Slowly, delicately, it can be done by the end user. Tape the bridge down with masking tape, to keep it from walking. Put a bunch of towels on a table, as a cushion (you arent bearing down, but you dont want to break anything as it will be resting on its face while you do it). Remove the 4 strings from one machine at a time; replace the machine, put fresh strings on, tighten them up so they are somewhat in tune-and then repeat the other side.
    I am going to attempt to attach the pics here. Sorry for the poor quality-as is most things I do, photography is not my main calling
    First pic is the machine with the broken tuner button. Second, is the finished project, with the broken one next to it. Third is the back, and, if you look closely, you can see how it doesnt exactly match the original space (but it fit just fine, and tuned well)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20231204_164957898.MP.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	210955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20231204_165018449.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	973.0 KB 
ID:	210956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20231204_165003988.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	939.6 KB 
ID:	210957  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldsoldier181 For This Useful Post: