Thread: Case for small Martin tenor guitar?

Default Case for small Martin tenor guitar?

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place as this is not mando related but any recommendations for cases that would fit a 23 inch scale Martin 5-15T tenor guitar?
    Thanks! Paul

Default Re: Case for small Martin tenor guitar?

This forum doesn't seem wrong for the question.
    There is a tenor guitar forum, but it doesn't get a
    lot of traffic. Here are a few threads from there.

Gig or inexpensive case for Ibanez tenor guitar

Case for Kay Archtop

Hard case recommendations
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

3. The following members say thank you to sounds_good for this post:

My Frank Tate tenor is the same scale length and a not unsimilar body shape - it came with a Gator 3/4 size hardshell case that fit it perfectly. Later on I ended up getting a different case made for it by Mike Mullen up in Dublin just because I like his cases but the Gator was a perfectly fine case.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

5. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

There is a specific case Martin had made for these that occasionally come up used. Elderly apparently has had them on back order for about a year. https://www.elderly.com/products/mar...ttop-mini-case You may be able to find one used. They are Martin's case #12C314 and have a very distinctive shape with hardly any waist. Same case as they sold their terz guitars in.

Otherwise, as Jill said, look for a small body guitar case. I know you said hardshell case but here is the 6 string version in what appears to be a decent fitting Yamaha gig bag. https://telluridemusiccompany.com/pr...rtin5-18162613 and I know Blue Heron will make a perfect fitting high quality gig bag for it.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

7. The following members say thank you to liestman for this post:

I recently picked up a case made for a reproduction baroque guitar and although it fits my size 2, it's very close to my old size 5 tenor case. (I have an 0-17T now so cases are a lot easier to come by!)

Here's the case I bought, 2nd slide has inside dimensions (this one is already gone - you may have to hunt for a used one.) : https://reverb.com/item/804901-roose...ard-case-rhcvb

-Matthew

9. The following members say thank you to mreidsma for this post:

Just a quick note that I tried Jill's suggestion and got the gator 3/4 size case but unfortunately it was too big (thank goodness for Amazon return). I may see if I can find a used Martin mini case. The blue Heron case also looks like a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrb51 View Post
    Just a quick note that I tried Jill's suggestion and got the gator 3/4 size case but unfortunately it was too big (thank goodness for Amazon return). I may see if I can find a used Martin mini case. The blue Heron case also looks like a good option.

Ah, sorry to hear that! Fingers crossed one of those Martin mini cases will pop up for sale somewhere!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Find a Taylor guitar dealer and look at the gig bags for the "Baby" and or "Big Baby" guitars. I have two of them, one for my National and one for a Martin style 1 copy. They are very well made.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Add measured 3 dimensions to scale length quoted, of the instrument ... overall length , width and thickness to your communications with sellers...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liestman View Post
    There is a specific case Martin had made for these that occasionally come up used. Elderly apparently has had them on back order for about a year. https://www.elderly.com/products/mar...ttop-mini-case You may be able to find one used. They are Martin's case #12C314 and have a very distinctive shape with hardly any waist. Same case as they sold their terz guitars in.

Otherwise, as Jill said, look for a small body guitar case. I know you said hardshell case but here is the 6 string version in what appears to be a decent fitting Yamaha gig bag. https://telluridemusiccompany.com/pr...rtin5-18162613 and I know Blue Heron will make a perfect fitting high quality gig bag for it.
    When I had a Blueridge BR40 tenor I used a case for a Martin OO. I don’t know how your guitar compares in size and shape, but you might check it out.
    Living’ in the Mitten

For a princely sum, Blue Heron will make you a case to fit your instrument. Also, a decade or more ago I had a 50’s 5-15. No case. I called Martin directly and they had cases described as 2nds and low a behold a size 5 case. A Geib style no less. Probably paid $200 maybe. May be worth a try. Good luck!