Thread: An Embergher that went back to the shop?

Default An Embergher that went back to the shop?

The label on this Embergher is from the 1898–1902 period, according to the Embergher site. And indeed the label says 1898 in the lower right corner.

But the street address taped onto the label is from a later period: 1906–1915.

Does that suggest it was taken in for repairs and the shop took the opportunity to update the address?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35400592979...AAAOSwQ39iVbuB
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: An Embergher that went back to the shop?

“Other brown natural material inlaid”. Savvy seller.
    So you can’t have it anyway, or even a bowl of the soup originally from the source of the brown natural material. No soup for you.
    Anyway good note on the label, and lacking provenance, implies that it remained in Europe for that long.
    Couldn’t look it up, but clearly one of the pricier ones then, and probably now.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

The address overlay makes sense.

I have a close look alike 1897 fluted bowl LE in my files, with some similar bling, but different soundhole inlays. The label shows the Via Dogali address, which according to Alex's LE History page, didn't begin until 1898...so my notes on the instrument might be mistaken.

Some low quality images from the original ebay sale.

The 1898 label is from a mandola or whatever folks were / are calling it across the way.

The handwritten note references perhaps repairs "Fece (made?) _______ e tastiera (fingerboard)" but I can't make out the second word.

Where LE wrote in the date seems to vary from side to side on the labels...hence where it is torn away on the (supposed) 1897.

Here's hoping the orbiting Embergherians will beam on down and help out with this.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embergher_Luigi-1897-#2-FlutedBowl-Label.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	200578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embergher_Luigi-1897-#2-FlutedBowl-Side.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	200577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embergher_Luigi-1897-#2-FlutedBowl-Back.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	200576  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embergher_Luigi-1897-#2-FlutedBowl-Front.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	200575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embergher_Luigi-Mandola-1898-Label.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	200579  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

This is interesting. This is a No.3 but I have not seen too many pre-1900 orchestra Emberghers except for the very fancy No. 4 on Alex's site ( http://embergher.com/instruments-man...per-orchestra/ )

This seller is in Uruguay which makes me a little nervous...

I own a 1903 No. 3 and it has a symmetrical scratchplate (common according to Ralf and Barry's book) and the shorter fretboard that doesn't reach the other side of the soundhole. Maybe LE used the asymmetrical scratchplate earlier if requested by the customer. In Ralf and Barry's book there are 1894 and 1898 No.3s with symmetrical scratchplates and shorter fretboards.

Name:	emb3_FTBK.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	510.5 KB 
ID:	200588
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Apr-13-2022 at 8:59pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This is interesting. This is a No.3 but I have not seen too many pre-1900 orchestra Emberghers except for the very fancy No. 4 on Alex's site ( http://embergher.com/instruments-man...per-orchestra/ )

Jim...is the one from 1897 which I posted above a Numero Tres?

This seller is in Uruguay which makes me a little nervous...

Why would this make you a little nervous? Are you bidding on this?

Name:	emb3_FTBK.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	510.5 KB 
ID:	200588
    What model is on the cover of Alfred Woll's mandolin construction book?

It shares the same floral headstock inlay as the OP's but a symmetrical pre-dragoon(?) scratchplate.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Maybe there was a dragoon on the E. Army-Navy model, but the thing pictured is more like a dragon, not that I’ve ever seen one.

Name:	EE16DD15-FC5C-421A-A587-ED28A1EAAF4C.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	200656

For all your information, it sold for a reasonable $2850USD. This is actually a No.5 (not bis) which is why it has a slotted peghead and not the crooked hook (or whatever it is called) one.

OTOH I also found out that this mandolin had numerous issues on various fronts including refinishing, original parts missing, etc. so it might be a decent playable example after considerable luthiery magic but would not be worth what a top of the line well-preserved Embergher would be worth.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1