Thread: Bruno and SOL on Goodwill

Default Bruno and SOL on Goodwill

Pristine looking Bruno/? flatback and pre-50s ? SOL on SGW, rapidly going up. The Bruno has heavily alligatored back finish, and the important views are not there, so another crapshoot likely to go beyond retail. I do like the look, and the large volume, so might jump in. Don’t know if the SOL is one of the better ones - haven’t absorbed the posts on this subject, and also can’t guess condition.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Bruno and SOL on Goodwill

The compensated bridge is a nice feature but the location on the Bruno looks muy sketchioso.

Maybe be just improperly located...or else moved to improve the playing action due to a faulty neck angle.

Project the bridge position forward over the cant where it likely belongs and what appears like reasonable action (hard to be certain from the photo) could result in some sore fingers.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 9.33.06 AM.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	200492  
    Last edited by brunello97; Apr-09-2022 at 9:26am.
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Regal made some of these with rosewood bodies. I am assuming it is like this Harwood branded mandolin below posted by Jim Garber but there is a slightly larger version which is made with mahogany but those with the inlaid pickguard were mostly rosewood.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ns-and-guitars

4. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I wouldn't count on this one being rosewood under all that gunk.

But you're welcome to spend some dinero to find out.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bruno Back.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	200493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rosewood Back.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	200494  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mick, I already have the rosewood version but it is unbranded but has the same engraved motif on the plate! This was a buy that had I not had the back up of my luthier who fixed a whole load of issues, would have had me crying in my beer somewhat along the lines of the Cindy Walker penned song recorded by Bob Wills -but a lot worse! However, all is well that ends well as later on, I even managed to get a nice circa 1920 corduroy lined case for it! He's pleased I am not buying stuff any more as he thinks it is time to quit my role of "middle man" positioned between eBay sellers and the dumpster!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Pristine looking Bruno/? flatback and pre-50s ? SOL on SGW, rapidly going up. The Bruno has heavily alligatored back finish, and the important views are not there, so another crapshoot likely to go beyond retail. I do like the look, and the large volume, so might jump in. Don’t know if the SOL is one of the better ones - haven’t absorbed the posts on this subject, and also can’t guess condition.
    Sorry, Richard... this Bruno is far from pristine. And the alligatoring is on the headstock as well. Also, it is hard to tell but the frontal shots seem to show some possible warpage on the top near the cant. Bidding is already over $100. I am guessing the winner will find some surprises inside the body and who knows what the neck looks like. I know you are interested in projects and this might be fine if it stays low enough. Not pristine though IMHO.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks, guys! An interesting story about this model and its relatives with other names. Learning all the time. And yes, even for practice repair items, I do have to find something new to explore each time, without worrying about ruining a good piece. So knowing that this one is “not worth restoring” is actually a good reason to make it a project. Cost, unless it’s really silly, isn’t important down in the one tank of gas ballpark, and the value of my labor also is inconsequential. Hobby, not investment.
    This week it’s a cheap but intact baritone uke that’s headed into fifths, octave down from mandolin, or somewhere else reachable with nylon strings.

According to Bob Carlin's Regal book, this style of mandolin has been found branded as Regal, Harwood, Perfacktone, Sterling, Kleartone, S S Stewart, Ditson, Stahl, Orpheus and there may be others- and also unbranded. He describes the model as of "high" quality. Your approach is the right one- mine cost too much and needed expert attention which was way beyond my skills. I should have returned it but did not as I was rescued from the hole I had found myself in! Cosmetically, it was very good but it had some super serious issues.