Thread: OS Stella flatback, Bauer Bowlback, Odd Flatback

Default OS Stella flatback, Bauer Bowlback, Odd Flatback

Another multiple sale- I am sure the seller would do better selling them individually.

The Stella is very nice- really more like a Sovereign but I think it has a faux rosewood finish. Bauer labelled bowlback and a rather peculiar lower end all birch flat back which has recessed tuners and a headstock reminiscent of a Weymann. I don't know if Weymann made at that price point. The Bauer is pretty low end and I wonder if it was made by another maker but it is a style that is quite common- the headstock shape is very familiar. JeffMando will be pleased that I am still peeping into the store!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33438805448...UAAOSw3YRiR2qz

This mandolin worked on by Jake Wildwood is very similar to the Stella and he confirms that the back is a faux finish.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html

2. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: OS Stella flatback, Bauer Bowlback, Odd Flatback

Years ago I got heavy into grain painting and faux finishes.
    Rosewood in particular, tiger and birdseye maples, 'exotic' woods of my own devising.

The real fun stuff for me was faux marbles of different kinds.

I've got a soft spot for it.

A proper rosewood back Sovereign mandolin would be a nice score.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mick, I am sure that faux painting is quite addictive and satisfying! My Sovereign mandolin has a one piece mahogany back and a nice plate nailed into the headstock! It came with a good Bull's Head case and sounds great. It only needed a tailpiece cover, new strings and a bit of a clean up! According to the blurb on the Jake Wildwood mandolin, the backs on those mandolins are two piece it seems- even though they are faux finished. This is one of the auction photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (22).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	200470

As I suspected- selling all three in one auction was not a great idea- $102 was realised for the lot.