Thread: Mike Compton Rare & Fine

Default Mike Compton Rare & Fine

I'm surprised nobody has started a thread about Mike's new album already. Just got my autographed copy in the mail two days ago and I've listened to it about 5-6 times so far. I can't find the words to express how much I adore this album. I think it's probably one of the best bluegrass instrumental albums put out. The more I listen to it the more it is getting put up there as one of my top...maybe even desert island albums. Makes me think of Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe. THAT level to me.

Thanks Mike for putting this project together. I hear it took some serious legal wrangling to make this happen and your utmost respect and love of Monroe comes through 100% on this. Just amazing. Life changing. Thanks for all the work you have done to bring Monroe Style to the masses.
    Northfield A5 Special #60

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Fowler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mike Compton Rare & Fine

There was this posted over a month ago with a bunch of comments, and then again regarding the first single release. It's a recording of historic importance, simple as that. It *should* be a GRAMMY nomination when the time comes, but I don't trust the people that make those decisions enough to think it will.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Hey thanks, Scott. Yeah I remember those posts. Thanks, I should have specified that I haven't seen any cafe members post their thoughts about the album since it was officially released.

Cheers!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fowler View Post
    Hey thanks, Scott. Yeah I remember those posts. Thanks, I should have specified that I haven't seen any cafe members post their thoughts about the album since it was officially released.

Cheers!
    Because they posted on a news thread those aren't their thoughts? Not following that. Just an observation. There are some before, some after.

Vaguely related to this: the supposed "DJ and Professional Artists" web site that was essentially handing out a full free version of Mike's new album for listening and downloading (with a bit of effort) took the availability of the files down from Mike's presence. Fortunately they were also wise enough to know search engines had cached versions of it and they moved or relocated the original MP3s. I know because that was the first thing I checked.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Mar-10-2022 at 12:35pm.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

I would love to have this on vinyl. Not many CD players around my work anymore anymore. Cars don't come with them anymore.

9. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

I would love to have this on vinyl as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    I would love to have this on vinyl. Not many CD players around my work anymore anymore. Cars don't come with them anymore.

I received my pre-order copy of both the CD and the book and, in my opinion, this is a must have recording for fans of real “Compton style” bluegrass mandolin playing. I’ve heard a couple of these tunes a long time ago on scratchy Monroe tapes and Mike and this stellar band bring these tunes into the 21st century. These tunes need to be played! I second Scott’s comment “it’s a recording of historic importance”.

i got my CD and book over the weekend. I haven't internalized the tunes enough to start trying to learn any of them but did like the descriptions and stories of each one in the book. I just LOVE this album. It is almost as if Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys made a new album of instrumentals for me. It is simply wonderful. I hope this gets the recognition it so richly deserves IMHO.

13. The following members say thank you to Scott Rucker for this post:

I believe this album deserves a Grammy and I also believe it will win the Grammy. Mike's talent is undeniable...

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Here's more info on the CD from the man himself. Published by No Depression. https://www.nodepression.com/inside-...6O2NrqM_rjnOp8
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Yay! Digital download is now on his website! https://www.mikecompton.net/store
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

18. The following members say thank you to Chris Gray for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gray View Post
    Yay! Digital download is now on his website! https://www.mikecompton.net/store
    FINALLY! Thank-You Chris... and Thank-You Mike!

20. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Got the download earlier today and just spent the last hour or so listening to the album through my ear buds. I mean what can you say? Mike and the players have created a landmark recording here and once again I'll make the prediction that they will win a Grammy for this recording.

One can only imagine the tens of thousands of hours perfecting his sound. Talk about dedication... man, this cat has got it in spades!

Bill's gotta be smilin' somewhere...

The Mandolins and Beer podcast is also a good listen, Mike tells a good story!! Man, what a record.

I have only begun to do a deep dive into this album, which is really amazing. I thought I recognized "Bill's Blues" from somewhere, and dug around the CDs, and turned up Skip Gorman's great "Old Style Mandolin Volume Two Monroesque," released by Skip in October , 2003. The tune is on there, as is his version of "Up in The Front, Out in the Back." Skip's album is similarly inspired - he writes in the liner notes that he was prodded by collectors and aficionados to get some of "Bill's rarer tunes. . . back in circulation." He also thanks Mike Compton, the late great Roland White, Ronnie McCoury and others in the liner notes as well. Skip adds more tunes to Mike's collection, and it may be some of Skip's are the ones Mike cryptically refers to for Volume 2 of his album, or maybe yet unknown or barely known others. Time will tell.
    2006 Duff F5
    2006 Gibson Original Jumbo Historic Collection
    80 year old fiddle of undetermined ancestry

25. The following members say thank you to KevinM for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
    I have only begun to do a deep dive into this album, which is really amazing. I thought I recognized "Bill's Blues" from somewhere, and dug around the CDs, and turned up Skip Gorman's great "Old Style Mandolin Volume Two Monroesque," released by Skip in October , 2003. The tune is on there, as is his version of "Up in The Front, Out in the Back."
    I just googled Skip since I have been wanting to get some of his mandolin-centric albums and looks like he has all of them available on his website! Gonna have to pick those up!

https://www.skipgorman.com/music/

27. The following members say thank you to Rob Fowler for this post:

KevinM 

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    I would love to have this on vinyl as well.
    I email Mike and if I'm not mistaken they should have them in 9 months or so.
    It's not an addiction... It's an investment.
    Gil #794
    Preston Thompson 2-15
    Martin D-18VS

29. The following members say thank you to Brad Grafton for this post:

KevinM 

I would be all over this in vinyl!
    2006 Duff F5
    2006 Gibson Original Jumbo Historic Collection
    80 year old fiddle of undetermined ancestry