Thread: Dean Mandolin

http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/DeanBGF.html

I found a mandolin like this in a store earlier this day. It's not very common with mandolins here in Sweden, so when I found an F-style, I thought that I would try it out.
    The problem was that the store was about to close, so I only got a couple of minutes of picking.
    The fact is though that I liked the sound of it.
    Right now I don't own an F-style, or even a carved top/bottom (bluegrass) mandolin at all. I have an Italian roundback, a poor flat top A-style with a round soundhole and one solid body electric.
    Earlier I have only tried a Goldtone F5 mandolin, wich was more expensive. I liked the sound better on the Dean, but the playability on the Goldtone was better.

Any tips or experiences on this Dean mandolin? How is it comparing to the Goldtone according to you experienced, american, bluegrass pickers?
    Check out www.myspace.com/snortingmaradonas for a Swedish punk band where I play emando

Yeah, I've got one - the solid wood BGFSF model, which I think is now discontinued/succeeded by a new model. #$550 without case in a bricks 'n mortar store. #You can do a little better online, BUT...

They come (came?) out of a Korean factory - Samick, I've heard - that produces most of the Korean mandos. #Those mandos are cheap largely because they are machine made. #With machine carving each top, back, etc. is carved exactly like every other top, back, etc... without human consideration of the musical potential of a given piece of wood. #This process produces a few instruments that are great, many that are ok, and some that are not very good. #In other words, you really ought to try to compare a bunch of instruments side-by-side and pick one that you like, just like you would pick a puppy.

Mine was a great one, head n' shoulders better than a dozen other mandos on the wall (including a teens Gibson A.) #I hadn't planned on buying a mando that day - I have a nice old F-2 - but this instrument just grabbed me. #So I grabbed it.

That said, the hardware was cheap, the fingerboard inlays garish, and the finish bulletproof. #After buying a decent Golden Gate case ($75) and later upgrading the tailpiece to an Allen ($100), the tuners to Grovers ($50) and a Randy Smith bridge ($50) and the associated luthier work to install everything and set it up ($150) I have $975 invested. #I'll never get all or even most of that back if I sell it. #Good thing I really like it.

But if I had to do it over, I'd probably get an Eastman. #For about the same $ I spent I'd get a comparably good-sounding mando but with the case, decent hardware, tasteful fingerboard, and even a varnish finish [how do they do that so cheaply?] right from the get-go.

But again, try to choose a specific mando in the context of as broad a taste-test as you can arrange. #Just my opinion...

I have a BGF model that I put Grovers and an Allen tailpice on. It has a good, not great sound, and plays well. Surprisingly loud for what it is. It might kill a Korean banjo.

Select Spruce Top?

That doesn't sound like it's a solid top, which isn't surprising for $325
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

Yeah, the BGF is probably not solid woods - they get around saying so with the "select" phrase. #The BGSFS is a higher grade and is warranted all solid woods.

I started playing on a Dean BGFSF mandolin. Not having heard many mandolins when I began playing, I didn't have much a frame of reference for its sound. Then setup was great, and it came with a very nice case (if you don't mind the Dean wings on the outside). I was happy with the sound until I got a chance to play a Mid Missouri M-2 at a local music store. I sold the Dean right away on E-bay (it was snapped up quickly for $425) and bought the Mid Mo.
    I'll try to describe the sound of my old Dean by making a comparison. My Eastman 615 barks like German Shepherd. The Dean sort of baaas like a little lamb. I think they're overbuilt & overfinished.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

I have a Dean Playmate (I think it's the same company) and am reasonbly happy with my purchase. I bought it used here from the Classifieds in order to have a mando to plug in with my band. For the price I paid for it ($200 including shipping & the case) I conisder it fair. Unplugged, the mando sounds ok and the action is fine. Plugged in, I give it a 6 out of 10 - it sounds sorta fuzzy and tiny. I will likely be upgrading to a Godin or OvationMM soon. But again - the price was right.

One thing I found odd was the bridge is actually attached to the top (I'm guessing the wire for the pickups goes through there) which will not allow me to adjust the bridge. Bummer.

I only use this mando when I'm playing rock n roll with a loud bunch - so a perfect sound isn't important. I fuzz up the sound just a bit and it sounds good for what we do.

Now, when it's time to play accoustically, I break out my Turkey Creek. It's night and day - man, what a great thing it is to play a well built mando......
    Pen

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley

Turkey Creek #17
    1958 Gibson A-40
    Ovation MM-68
    2002 Martin D-28

For the archives if this post is water under the bridge: #I started on a Dean F about 4 years ago. #It was all they had at a bluegrass festival, and I'd been wanting to learn to play the mando. #A year and a half later I upgraded to a MK legacy. #Then this month to an Eastman 515. #

The Dean is still in the family, I gave it to my son because I couldn't get any money for it on ebay. #It looks OK (but flat as a pancake), and plays easy. #But the sound is like stringing some wires over a styrofoam cup. #Thin, tinny, yukky. #It took a while for my ears to wake up and be offended.....

I would NEVER spend folding money upgrading a cheap instrument. #It's like putting a Lepould scope on a norinco .22, racing tires on a yuko, etc. #It's not going to fix the base....

For what it's worth I have a Goldtone that plays wells and sounds good...not great. It was my first real mando and good start for sure IMHO.
    I own an Eastman and it sure is nice, but trying to find those $640 Eastman mandos is like looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Dealers have said that they haven't seen 'em for over a year. After that you move up into the $800 plus range...so with your range you might want to look at that Goldtone.
    Just my opinion, please don't shoot me.
    PeacE
    Brian

One consideration---I got ahold of a Korean built mando that had likely been sat upon as the top was completely broken off and caved in from the body. The fellow who had it before me was none to gentle as the finish was damaged around the sides upon removal and required a bit of re-staining and refinishing. I got ahold of a top from stew-mac and crafted a new top. When attached to the old body---this mando sings. If you are capable of some basic wood skills it would be a great way to increase your luthery confidence.

It's not a GREAT mandolin, but it's a potentially GOOD, playable mandolin with a pleasing sound. Do take it to a good repair shop and spend the small amount of money it will take to make it play its best. On eBay right now you can get a Rover RM-75 F-style for $199. All solid wood, carved and graduated (by a machine), and one of the best I've played for under $1,000. Very nice bluegrass bark.