Thread: What strings have you tried on your Kimble?

Default What strings have you tried on your Kimble?

Does anyone have a preference over J74 strings?

Default Re: What strings have you tried on your Kimble?

I played EJ74's on my previous mandolin for years. But after I purchased my Kimble A, a friend gave me a few packages of EJ75's (medium/heavy) and I haven't turned back—yet! The EJ75's gave the touch of extra power in the bass I was looking for. I would like to try Straight Up Strings but haven't gotten around to ordering a set.

I’ve always used J74 but I suspect that, originally, mine came (from new) with something lighter. I did briefly speak to Will about string gauges and he said the mandolin could cope with J75s but couldn’t see any point in going heavier than 74s. He added that I might like to try replacing the As with those from a set of J75s. I’ve since tried a set of 75s - as I had a set going spare - but I prefer the 74s.

4. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

I don't have a Kimble, but I recently tried every set of string offered by D'Addario that had the same gauges as the EJ74 set. Many of the sets were twice as expensive. And in the end, to my ear nothing really beat the EJ74's and the price is better on the EJ74's, so I've stuck with them. These various sets were tried on my Northfield Big Mon.

I had planned on doing a similar test with other brand string makers and compare all with the EJ74's, but haven't got around to it yet. I loved the coated strings on my acoustic guitar, but I found little to no advantage on the mandolin, for me. My (D'Addario) strings seem to last a long time anyway and keep good tone and I play 'em hard.

6. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    I don't have a Kimble, but I recently tried every set of string offered by D'Addario that had the same gauges as the EJ74 set. Many of the sets were twice as expensive. And in the end, to my ear nothing really beat the EJ74's and the price is better on the EJ74's, so I've stuck with them. These various sets were tried on my Northfield Big Mon.

I had planned on doing a similar test with other brand string makers and compare all with the EJ74's, but haven't got around to it yet. I loved the coated strings on my acoustic guitar, but I found little to no advantage on the mandolin, for me. My (D'Addario) strings seem to last a long time anyway and keep good tone and I play 'em hard.
    I just did the same experiment over the last couple months…. Also on a Big Mon… and I got the same conclusion. The EJ 74 strings sounded better than any of D’addario’s expensive coated strings- it wasn’t even close. The J75 strings also sounded great with a little more power… but they are hard on my fingers during long jam sessions. I’ve played probably 20+ types of strings in the 15 years I’ve been playing. J74’s just sound great on any good mandolin.

That being said, I think the GHS A270 strings sound better than the J74s- they were the clear winner in my personal string comparison test. I would highly recommend trying them out on your Kimble.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Try GHS Americana cryogenic sets. I loved them for an affordable pb string that isn’t too bright.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

On my Kimble A, I tried a couple sets of DAddario monels (which sound fantastic on my F5S) and a set of Straight Up strings (which sounded great on the Weber Bitterroot that the F5S replaced) and have gone back to 74's. YMMV.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	199701

I am currently using the new (and not inexpensive) D'Addario XS strings on my Kimble 2-point. The best strings I have found for this particular instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post

Name:	K1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	199701

I am currently using the new (and not inexpensive) D'Addario XS strings on my Kimble 2-point. The best strings I have found for this particular instrument.
    Awesome mandolin! I'm envious.

12. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

And here's the flip side...

Name:	K2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	199707

14. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

John Pearse Phosphor Bronze set# 2160 (12,15,26,40) are the strings I use on my 2007 Kimble F5. I like 12’s on the high e strings.

I use set# 2170 (12,16,26,40) on my 80’s Japanese made Kentucky KM650. I find the heavier stings on both the e and a strings work better on this mandolin.

The Kimble doesn’t need the heavier a strings.

I have used D’Addario J74 on the Kimble but prefer the John Pearse set 2160 with the slightly heavier e strings.

I also use John Pearse PB strings on all my guitars as well and have for decades.
    Kirk

2007 Kimble F5
    1985 Kentucky KM 650

16. The following members say thank you to Kirk Higgins for this post:

I don't experiment much with strings. I used J74's on my mandolins for years, then got a free set of Straight Up Strings, and have used them ever since. Like them a lot.

18. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

Straight Up Strings work great. Will prefers the standard GHS phobro set