Thread: Mandolin Mutes?

Default Mandolin Mutes?

Simple question: anyone know of anything like a mandolin mute? I have a mute for my fiddle, and I'd like something similar for my mandolin. I've noticed that my practice (picking technique) is hindered by lowering volume so as to not disturb other people in my household.

If you've ever seen a mandolin mute, or have ideas about how to fashion a homemade one, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Default Re: Mandolin Mutes?

Felt ukulele picks might be worth a try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukulele.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	199366

A bit of foam rubber pushed between the soundboard and the strings up near the bridge can act as a damper on the strings, just like palm muting. You can experiment with various thicknesses to see how much damping you want. Gretch used to have a mute on some of their guitars which was activated by a small lever at the bridge.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I have a few violin mutes and the all rely on seating on the bridge with a wedge angle and the taper of the violin bridge. I can’t envision a mute that will fit onto a square shouldered mandolin bridge universally like that…
    The principal is to add a bunch of weight to the bridge to inhibit vibration amplitude, so see what you can clamp on.
    The string damping foam block suggested earlier seems safest.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

5. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Nevin 

Old bicycle inner tube.
    Cut it with scissors to 12"X 3/8" and weave it round the strings right next to the bridge?
    You can also cut different shapes of rubber (washers etc.) using a scalpel blade and a piece of steel clamped onto the rubber.
    Another, a bit more permanent is to cut a tiny strip of rubber and place it under the bridge or between strings and bridge, but tone and intonation can change.

Or fill the mando with a towel?
    Most effective technique is to buy the neighbour a bottle of wine or something.

Aerosol foam?

You can clamp a spring clothespin on the bridge but it might not quiet it enough. I think jamming a piece of foam as suggested above it the most sensible.

The most quieting violin mute is that heavy metal one but playing with one on doesn't really help in working on tone. Not sure it matters as much on a mandolin.

More expensive but best would be headphones into an electric solidbody 8 string.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

For a violin, a decent emergency mute is a dollar bill (a fifty works too, if you can convince someone to give you one!) folded in eighths and woven through the strings just behind the bridge. The same idea would quiet a mandolin too.

Violin mutes add mass to the bridge ..

resting the palm of ones right hand on the bridge has seemed effective IMO.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I have been down this road as my usually tolerant wife finds it difficult to listen to the same tune being practiced at nauseum. I tried many of the prior mentioned suggestions to no avail.
    Finally I purchased a solid body EM8. It not only solved the problem of muting me when unplugged, it also is now opening up the world of electrics to me when plugged in. No, it will never replace the sound of acoustics that I love, but it does present a new dimension of musical possibilities that I could not duplicate on an acoustic.
    Not exactly thinking outside the box, but perhaps an avenue you may want to investigate.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)