Thread: Name that tune - sorry, NMC

Blog Entries

Default Name that tune - sorry, NMC

This video of Bruce Moskey and Tony Trischka kicks of with a very familiar tune whose name escapes me. Please help!

The whole thing is well worth watching, especially if you like OT fiddle and banjo tunes.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

2. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Default Re: Name that tune - sorry, NMC

I believe it is "East Tennessee Blues" though Bruce Molsky (actual spelling) puts in his own variations. Thanks for posting this.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Ah, yeah. Thanks, Jim. Senioritis done struck again.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

It took me awhile, too. I went through all my Fiddling Arthur Smith tunes and all seemed similar but could not find anything close. I finally memorized the first few phrases and knew it was in the key of C so that helped.

BTW I even tried a site called Tunepal but it came up with lots of Irish tunes and even the Tibetan National Anthem! Pretty funny!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Teacher, repair person

Actually, although the A part is rather similar to East Tennessee Blues, I believe it is something else, but I don't know what.

The fourth and twelfth bar of the A section of East Tennessee Blues are not generally returned to a C chord, at least in the versions that I am familiar with; and the B section, which modulates to A major, is completely different.

I think it might be "Goin' Crazy"
    Last edited by Steve 2E; Jan-25-2022 at 9:59pm.

We could go on like this for a while so I just asked Bruce. Here is what he said, “Hey Jim! It’s Honeysuckle from Camp Creek Boys.”

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    We could go on like this for a while so I just asked Bruce. Here is what he said, “Hey Jim! It’s Honeysuckle from Camp Creek Boys.”

Is he sure?

I think any of the tune titles would work because they probably all grew off the same stalk. But on the Molsky/Trischka video, I'll take Molsky's word for it. Horse's mouth, and all that.

Any other titles for this tune?

This is what I would call a “congloma-tune” made up of various parts of other tunes. I think there is one part added onto it from “I ain’t got nobody.”
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: