Thread: midi keyboard | off top

Default midi keyboard | off top

<spam post>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-24-2022 at 4:16pm. Reason: spam posting. This account's privileges have been terminated.

Default Re: midi keyboard | off top

Are you sure you are in the right forum?

3. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

gtani7 

<spam post and links.>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-24-2022 at 4:16pm. Reason: spam

Pretty deep topic, response would be thousands words, I recommend a couple books which give a good overview tho neither covers MIDI 2 AFAIK. Snoman's cover synth bass in detail, and look into forums at talkbass, reddit /r/synthesizers etc

also avoid cheap controller like M audio, novation, alesis, when their faders/encoders /pots/ pads start misfiring it's really annoying and hosing them down with deoxit is NOT the answer

Dance Music Manual Rick Snoman

Shepard: https://www.amazon.com/Refining-Soun.../dp/0199922969

start w/soft synths, the usual advice https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/any-syn...ations/27541/2
    Last edited by gtani7; Jan-23-2022 at 11:49pm.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I have a karp, Minitaur, Minilogue, x61Kronos, and maskin e mk2. I can use them but I am no pro with them. Each has it's midi implementation guide, there is a lot omnibus you tube and the manufactures are pretty good helping a guy out as are their specific forums. Now I love the Slim Phatty and Minitaur. I was going to go for a Slim Phatty at one time but realized I had all I needed already. That said if I was going to do it again. I would not have bought the Minilogue or the Minitaur. Instead i would buy the Subsequent 37. A bit more versatility in the key range should cover all your bases. I do believe any pedals you would connect to the minitaur you can also connect to the subsequent, I would check on moog forum for sure, and also a step sequencer built in. There are several good videos on its use but it is not cheap. The Slim Phatty you will need to buy used and it seems to demand a price as well. A quick reverb showed 800 to just over 1000 for it. The minitaur is 600 new and close to that used. The subsequent is 1799 new. Bass cv midi headphone out etc all built in. Just a thought. it is fun to get multiple items but I gave up on that years ago as many just sit more then get used. One item that will do what they did has additional features and at hand more easily is where I seem to go now. Just a thought. Watch a few videos you may see what I am suggesting or have better sources for the other items and a better deal. Doesn't hurt to look. Also check the Moog forum some very helpful people there as well probably with better advice.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I don't just play mandolin so I think it's a relevant question. I use an Arturia Keystep for some of my synths. There are three models now - 32 key, 37 key and a larger model. I've had the 32 key for several years.

The smaller keys are different but easy to get used to. It has standard MIDI ports plus CV ports if you ever need them. The membrane pitch and mod strips are sensitive and accurate as wheels. The biggest advantage is aftertouch. It adds a lot more dimension to your playing. I hate playing keyboards without it.

My main controller is an Arturia Keylab MK2, but the Keystep is compact and built for rough use. I agree with gtani7 about the cheaper controllers. I've never had an Alesis or M-Audio that held up to even casual playing. I have a Novation Launchkey that's okay, but the smaller ones lack features, and none of them have aftertouch. That's fine for piano playing, but synths benefit from having aftertouch.

One last option is the Novation Bass Station 2. It is a formidable synth with 25 keys and aftertouch. For a little more than a controller you can have an extra synth. But that's another rabbit hole. Good luck with whatever you choose!