Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moveable chords

Default Re: Moveable chords

I started through some of the stuff here today. I spend so much time reading here that I forget there is other stuff!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

There is? Since when? According to whom?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

IMHO it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been playing or what you’ve been playing, when you’re ready to move on and learn something new that you find difficult, a) give yourself permission to suck at it while you’re “in training”; b) keep calm and eschew frustration/tension; c) persevere until you master it
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    IMHO it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been playing or what you’ve been playing, when you’re ready to move on and learn something new that you find difficult, a) give yourself permission to suck at it while you’re “in training”; b) keep calm and eschew frustration/tension; c) persevere until you master it
    I like the "give yourself permission to suck at it while you’re “in training” " part.

In the link that John mentions, shape 2 uses the finger pattern (fingers, not fret position) 3114. I find that it is much easier to use fingers 2113. For example, when I play an E chord in the first position, I use one of two patterns: 4224 (the D pattern, using fingers 2113) or 4674 (the C pattern, using fingers 1342). As a long time guitar fingerpicker, I’m used to playing a lot of barre chords. I just finger out what is most comfortable, sounds best for the tune, and what works in terms of chord transitions or what I might want the unused finger(s) to do. As other folks have said, the trick is to just practice enough till your fingers know where to go. It’s amazing what one’s fingers can learn to do it given enough time and encouragement.

This has been a fun and very useful discussion. Thanks for starting it John.

7. The following members say thank you to Denis Kearns for this post:

I have long since learned that any question I ask here is going to generate replies that although may be helpful are just over my head so I always take what I can from them and revisit them again later as I learn more. I used to be frustrated at this but just gave in and said to myself, when it’s ready to click it will. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I actually understood more than I thought I would.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Bertotti For This Useful Post:

Maybe the right takeaway message is that there are lots of different right ways to do things. I know from the discussions above, that I have a different approach, and that is all good. Journeybear doesn't like the 4224 E chord, and that is my "go to" - the 1224 or 122x always sounds kind of minor-ey to me.

But let's go first for encouragement, and then a couple of tips. First, all those people playing chords? They learned 'em, too, they just had to start. You can learn them, also.

Second, for a couple of tips. You can start with open chords, and then transition to moveable chords. If it were me I would consider Baron Collins-Hill's Mandolessons as a place to start: https://www.mandolessons.com/lessons...-fundamentals/.

One thing I found helpful especially for moveable chords, which may not be in those lessons, was to practice sloooooowly. Take you fingers, and as slow as you can, put them in to the chord position, but don't fret, relax in that position. Then, slow as you can, fret the strings, wait a beat, and slowly strum once and listen, then relax your hand. Do this is as slowly as you possibly can, and then do it slower still. You can add transitions between chords over time.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A 4 For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Playing four strings when comping …

Probably the majority of my rhythm playing occurs on the bottom 2 or 3 strings (G, A, D strings) but a lot of color is added here and there by adding the high notes from the E course here and there. I was playing Jimmy Rodgers’ Rough and Rowdy ways today in C, and a good example shows up. In one measure, a Cdim resolving to D7 sounds right. Here’s some cool trivia: If you play a D7 like this, 5-4-5-5 (index G string, middle A string, ring finger on both A & E courses) then you can easily add your pinky to the A course to make the half diminished chord at 5-4-6-5 … and playing a beat of 5-4-6-5 followed by a beat of 5-4-5-5 gets easy with practice.

More trivia:
    5-4-6-5 serves as Cdim, Gbdim, Ebdim, or Adim
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

13. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post: