Thread: Internal vs external K& K piezo

Default Internal vs external K& K piezo

I’m going to put a K&K twin spot on a large bodied OM.
    I chose the twin spot as I have had good results with their mandolin pickup (fitted internally by a luthier) but the twin spot is what they recommend for bouzouki’s.

Does anyone think that there is a sound difference between going internal or external?
    I have one on the outside of a guitar which sounds decent. I’m happy to go external for the lower cost and easy removal unless there’s any evidence that it sounds better from inside. My instinct is that there may be additional resonance and reverberation inside which may or may not be a good thing.

Default Re: Internal vs external K& K piezo

My impression is that most people who go for an internal pickup do so for two reasons, appearance and protection of the pickup rather than sound. Internal keeps everything out of the way.

As Nevin says internal is more out of the way and protected. When I do an internal it is glued in, external is not glued on the top. The sound transference when glued is much stronger than other methods of instillation, tape, putty, etc. If you want a warmer sound the putty will give you that, so will a thick double stick tape. If I use the double stick tape I press it against a shirt or something linty to take some of the tack away so it will not pull finish off when removing. The tape I use is a thick 3M double stick tape, DON'T PUT IT ON THE TOP WITHOUT REMOVING SOME OF THE TACKINESS! The bond gets stronger over time.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I've gone with both. I put a K&K twin spot external with a carpenter jack on my first mandolin. It worked ok but:

1. It looked pretty bad to me.

2. The exposed wires and pickups were easily brushed and bumped while playing, giving unwanted non-musical sound.

3. The installed carpenter jack didn't fit well in the case. So I had to put the whole mess on when I got to a place to play a gig, then take it all off at the end.

So I moved the twin spot to an internal mount and soldered on a regular 1/4" phone jack. Looks better, sounds better (no external bumping/brushing of the pickup) and much easier.

On all my subsequent pickup installs (close to a couple dozen between fiddles, mandos, banjos, guitars and a bass) I've gone internal.

5. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Way back when a piezo was a $1.98 clipon that went on an f-hole, and had no cable connector to mount, the removability was handy, as was tunability. If one is concerned about the delicate finishes on high-end instruments, a magnetic mount or a cantilever pinned by the tailpiece could work.

I've found that a temporary external mounting of a K and K twin lets you find the "sweet spot" for pickup placement - and then you can install it internally.

8. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

pops1 

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I used to have a Baggs Radius pickup I used via the detachable carpenter jack on a prior instrument. I opted for the internal mount the K&K with the Eastman. Never have to worry about a broken endpin, or it fitting in the case.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

The transducer only responds to vibration of the wood it's attached to (it's not a microphone) so resonance and reverberation are not likely to be a factor. If this is a GBOM with F holes, then internal installation will be a little trickier but an experienced luthier/repairman would be able to take care of it.

As a gigging musician, I would want mine internal and glued in for all the reasons Mandobart mentions. I think any potential buyer down the road would consider it a plus to have a quality pickup already installed. If you don't want the endpin drilled out for that fat 1/4" plug, go the extra $$ for a tapastring jacket in the traditional size.