Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin As A New Direction

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: Mandolin As A New Direction

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    While I know what you mean, deep down I really do, the fact is that this is true to some extent, for every musician I have ever met, and I believe, with the possible exception of youngsters just starting out...
    I can't speak for all the youngsters, but you're right. I started relatively young (received my first Mandolin at 16... 20 years ago), took some time away to pursue other musical things. I'm nowhere near where I want to be. It's just a simple fact that I don't have what those guys have and that's OK

Quote Originally Posted by maxlola View Post
    I am new here. Came across the forums hunting for guidance on buying a new instrument. This post struck a chord with me.

I am 37. Saw Nickel Creek on TV at age 16 and asked for a mandolin for my 17th birthday. I had not previously played a stringed instrument except when I took violin lessons as a little kid. I can remember the raw fingers, the hellacious noise I generated trying to figure things out, and the pure joy I felt when I could actually do something passable with the instrument. I am not and will never be a professional, but some of my best memories involve making beautiful music with friends.

I totally get where you are coming from as far as not being where you want to. The best way I can relate to that is the feeling I have after watching a true professional play. My guitar tends to collect a little dust in the months following the annual Tommy Emmanuel concert near where I live. I watch Ricky Skaggs and old Bill Monroe videos and wonder why I even keep my mandolin since I will never do what they do.

But...then, my buddy across town says let's get together and play some music. We have a great time. Maybe we will go play some local bars, or get together with other friends around the campfire. Maybe we'll practice up and do a song at church. The fact that I am not where I should, or want, to be, disappears in those moments and it is simply the joy of making a connection with others and the pure fun of music.

The emotional ups and downs that I sensed in your post resonated with me because I have had a similar relationship with music in my life. It has been a hobby - always second to career, wife, and now two small children - but I can't imagine life without it, even though I will never be as good as I want to. It is the push-pull of loving it and then seeing someone way better - and there is always someone way better. And thinking to myself, I would never be able to get to that level. But...I still enjoy it and that's what gives it meaning to me. My guess is that Ricky Skaggs wishes he was better, too. I think everyone (at least everyone who is honest) would say that.

It sounds like the guitar is giving you tremendous joy and that's a beautiful thing. But brother, keep the mandolin close by. To me, mandolin in a song is like a squeeze of lemon on catfish - you don't want too much of it, but there's nothing else quite like it.

Thanks for sharing something genuine. Rock on.
    Well said! This certainly is exactly where I am in life, career, family and music.

Beautifully written. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I couldn't keep up with the talent around me as I maxed out my potential.
    Those two are not the same thing. I started out not being able to keep up with the talent around me, and that has never changed. But I have not yet maxed out own potential.

I know that in sports this all has a very specific meaning, but music is not a sport.

In sports there are very specific abilities that have to be demonstrated. And one's path to success, for the most part, is developing those abilities, (and the mental attitudes to excel and be excellent, of course). But the measurement and the criteria are fairly objective and easy to verify.

Music is very different. Technical ability to tear it up, being able to improvise faster and better, raw athletic musical talent, is less than half the battle, speed and accuracy and brilliancy are just part of it, and maybe not as much a part of it as we would like to believe.

We all know and have heard professional entertainers who do not play at that much of an advanced technical level, yet who anyone would consider a success.

My realization of this was listening to Steve Earle on mandolin, playing Galway Girl, and realizing that I was entranced, totally delighted and entranced, as was everyone else, and yet on a technical level his mandolinning was not really all that much. And on the scale of stardome his singing was not really all that much. But damn, who was on stage getting paid to play, and who was on the internet arguing about the value of practicing scales?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7-PM_4aeE4

I over think everything, this included.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/e...ician-part-two

And that is when I got serious about what my own goals and aspirations were. And I decided:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/e...y-Perspiration

And in my stated goal, I have not reached maxed out my potential. In fact i have a ways to go, and always will.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Those two are not the same thing. I started out not being able to keep up with the talent around me, and that has never changed. But I have not yet maxed out own potential.

I know that in sports this all has a very specific meaning, but music is not a sport.

In sports there are very specific abilities that have to be demonstrated. And one's path to success, for the most part, is developing those abilities, (and the mental attitudes to excel and be excellent, of course). But the measurement and the criteria are fairly objective and easy to verify.

Music is very different. Technical ability to tear it up, being able to improvise faster and better, raw athletic musical talent, is less than half the battle, speed and accuracy and brilliancy are just part of it, and maybe not as much a part of it as we would like to believe.

We all know and have heard professional entertainers who do not play at that much of an advanced technical level, yet who anyone would consider a success.

My realization of this was listening to Steve Earle on mandolin, playing Galway Girl, and realizing that I was entranced, totally delighted and entranced, as was everyone else, and yet on a technical level his mandolinning was not really all that much. And on the scale of stardome his singing was not really all that much. But damn, who was on stage getting paid to play, and who was on the internet arguing about the value of practicing scales?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7-PM_4aeE4

I over think everything, this included.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/e...ician-part-two

And that is when I got serious about what my own goals and aspirations were. And I decided:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/e...y-Perspiration

And in my stated goal, I have not reached maxed out my potential. In fact i have a ways to go, and always will.
    Yes, music is very different than sports in this aspect. Just to be clear, I was talking about sports and athletics where the pyramid to the top to play at the highest levels is very real. In baseball terms, trust me, I maxed out my potential

I am, however, glad for all my time on the diamond. It was fun and taught me quite a few valuable lessons.

Some excellent thought provoking comments. First I want to apologize to anyone that inquired about my listing as I have now deleted my listing. After getting up early this morning and reading the inquiries I had received overnight I woke Pava up and held her and looked at her and felt the gentle melodies that came forth and I knew at that moment I could never part with my beauty. I took a chance having never played a Pava that it would give me the tone I was after that I didn't receive with my first mandolin, I was looking for a nice mellow tone not overly bright but thicker that would still bite woodly if needed if that makes any sense. I stay in a mellower ballad to moderate tempo mood even on guitar, just never felt blazing playing.

I don't play out so I'm always on my on at home, there's simply no one in my area that remotely has the same musical interest as I, so I don't care to attend the very few get togethers the locals have. Was thinking about maybe selling my mandolin to help on the purchase of custom made acoustic. Sure it'd be nice to have several mandolins and acoustics each having it's own tonal beauty. But as my Eastman E10 OM and Pava fill my needs so much they're all I need at this point.

On another thought there is so much beauty in simplicity
    Last edited by CBFrench; Jan-21-2022 at 7:57pm.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CBFrench For This Useful Post:

What's the problem? Just play your guitar and enjoy it!

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    Quiet a few comments on this subject. Some folks have the musical versatility or rather enjoy playing multiple instruments and that's great. Then there are those that have a primary instrument they enjoy playing the most, be it mandolin, guitar, banjo, violin etc. For me it's the guitar. I'm not poor but I'm not rich and as everyone knows even a slight tonal difference in an instrument is a massive enjoyment that mostly the player feels and hears. The reason those that can afford it have multiple mandolins, guitars etc etc. I have 1 acoustic that I really like, an Eastman E10 OM, plays great, sounds great but I've got an incredible itch to move on up to another build, brand, wood for the tonal and playability enjoyment so letting my mandolin go which is saddening would go a long way in helping cover the cost of another acoustic that would be my most fulfilling enjoyment. Quit playing out about 10 years ago so I'm strictly a home player, a home body and all I do is practice. I have my acoustic sitting right beside me on my couch and I'm constantly playing it. Even seldom times watching tv I'm playing something on my guitar or with music coming from show if it's to my liking. I don't even know why I posted here lol unless it was to help convince myself I was making the right move...
    Guitar is by far my main instrument, too. And though I have several electrics, the folk guitar is the only one I reach for. Still, having a mando and other instruments is dern handy when, for instance, there are with three other guitarists or I'm playing guitar with someone and starting to sound the same on every song.

So personally, though I'd love to have another flattop or two (just got tempted by a '76 Guild D-40), I'd rather have my one good folk guitar and a mando, just for versatility's sake.

But if you're really tired of trying to make the mando sound the way you want it to sound, dump the chump!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    Some excellent thought provoking comments. First I want to apologize to anyone that inquired about my listing as I have now deleted my listing. After getting up early this morning and reading the inquiries I had received overnight I woke Pava up and held her and looked at her and felt the gentle melodies that came forth and I knew at that moment I could never part with my beauty. I took a chance having never played a Pava that it would give me the tone I was after that I didn't receive with my first mandolin, I was looking for a nice mellow tone not overly bright but thicker that would still bite woodly if needed if that makes any sense. I stay in a mellower ballad to moderate tempo mood even on guitar, just never felt blazing playing.

I don't play out so I'm always on my on at home, there's simply no one in my area that remotely has the same musical interest as I, so I don't care to attend the very few get togethers the locals have. Was thinking about maybe selling my mandolin to help on the purchase of custom made acoustic. Sure it'd be nice to have several mandolins and acoustics each having it's own tonal beauty. But as my Eastman E10 OM and Pava fill my needs so much they're all I need at this point.

On another thought there is so much beauty in simplicity
    Hi CB, So glad you didn't sell the Pava. Just for the reference, the difference you experience playing the Pava vs an Eastman mandolin is on par with what you'd get when moving up to a Martin 000-28 or OM28. The quality of the experience is worth it in my experience. So sorry you don't have other pickers with similar interests in your area. I only get to play with others once every month or two but still enjoy my home playing

A "conclusion" and a a decision differ. A decision is an irrevocable course of action.
    Good to see you came to a conclusion, not a decision.

Talent is an inherent ability, skill is the result of the application of the talent.

I, like many others' played mandolin and guitar early on. In my case sporadic on both because of time or poverty or injury or job, family, etc.
    I am absolutely enamored of the mandolin and the idea of being a player, I have owned around 50 mandolins since 1961. But my heart and soul
    are in guitar. My interest in mandolin is more toward the construction and the making of same (not professionally). Also my interest is not "Bluegrass"
    but classical and other styles.

I will always have a mandolin around and enjoy messing about, but not hard core dedicated.

Here is a reality check. I am 75 and as my friend said to me the other day about my many interests (vintage road bicycles, making art, woodworking, exploration with my 2000 4 Runner, my 1963 MGB, diatonic accordeons, etc etc etc) and to quote when suggesting it is time for me to make some choices... he started his comment with this": for those of you with fewer tomorrows than yesterdays"... now that is a wake up call. How do you spend the most precious thing you have.. T I M E.

This is the time for the irrevocable course of action... the dreaded "decision".

PS To stay fat and happy (that is not me) keep your level of aspirations below your level of achievement.