Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin As A New Direction

Default Mandolin As A New Direction

Don't come around much anymore. Mostly stay off the super highway and practice at home. Anyway several years back after retiring from playing out I started just practicing constantly at home working on jazz standards, folk and traditional. I use to play the mandolin a little in my younger years and for whatever reason I just had a bad hankering to get back into playing one again. So I bought an Eastman and loved it and mas set in so I sold it and bought my Pava and I truly loved the step upwards.

Long story longer I soon saw the mandolin was a lot better than I was lol. I spent some time learning my way around, a handful of tunes in various genres but just never felt at home with it like I did with my lifelong guitar playing feeling. Fast forward I probably haven't had my mandolin out of it's case in 5 or 6 months for I can't lay my acoustic down. I'm obsessed with the beautiful fulfilling feeling and tonality of the acoustic to the point of just trying to sell my mandolin to someone who could appreciate the instrument and the instrument would love them back.

I've come to the conclusion that I waited too late in life to remotely reach a height in playing the mandolin that I'd be satisfied with. I'm 70 and started playing guitar when I was 10 and still nowhere near where I wanna be. Now if I had 60 years to practice mandolin but I don't...so that's my sad mandolin story but I have found me a possible dream acoustic guitar I'm thinking about getting. I listen to so many great mandolin players that I just say forget it, ain't got time to be what I wanna be lol

Default Re: Mandolin As A New Direction

I'm a little older than you and started picking up the fiddle lately, working on guitar and banjo again too. It's never too late.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

I hear ya but in my case it's too late to be the caliber player I'd want to be and my noodling around just ain't gonna satisfy my wants. I need to stick with my lifelong guitar learning, that's my 110% love it gives me what I'm after. Some folks can excel at multiple instruments, sadly I'm not one of those folks lol

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I'll always remember what my Baseball coach in JR High said to me when I considered quitting halfway through the season.

"You'll never look back and say; I wish I would have never played so much ball."

He went on to say things like "play as long as you can" and "go as far as you can in ball, you'll never regret it".

Eventually I gave up Baseball, well, I couldn't keep up with the talent around me as I maxed out my potential.

I feel the same goes for music. Play as long as you can! Whether that's guitar or mandolin or whatever!
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

I don't know if it's timing, age, experience or what...
    I started on violin as a 10 year old kid. I dabbled with acoustic guitar a little until I was around 13 and got more serious about it. Around the same time I got into bluegrass fiddle and started playing electric bass in my school jazz band and your typical junior high - high school garage rock band.

Although I was occasionally paid for gigs then I was never on a professional musician track. I grew up, joined the navy, got married, went to college, got a real job, had kids etc. Mostly just played guitar for fun in my limited free time.

In my 40's I accidentally started playing mandolin. I started attending a weekly acoustic music jam. It was a combination of my background in violin and guitar, a fun social group of people to play with, maybe being at mid-life? I really took to the mandolin.

I quickly upgraded to a better mandolin, then also got into mandola, octave mandolin and mandocello. Mandolin became my main instrument. And there were relatively few of us in my area, so I was getting calls to play out. Although I'd played guitar over 30 years at this point, in just a year on mandolin I was much better on it than on guitar.

An unanticipated side effect was I became better on guitar and fiddle as a result of playing music more. Now I'm almost 60, and I can't say the experience would be the same if I started mandolin now (even without the pandemic). Now some days I spend just on guitar and some days mostly mandolin.

I will say I find it harder to play mandolin well as opposed to guitar. The dual high tension string courses, narrow neck, short scale, shorter sustain are more challenging to me than guitar or fiddle.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

@CBFrench, it's great you still love and play acoustic guitar. *Any* instrument that brings you joy is a wonderful gift and just because one doesn't get your motor running, so to speak, well, that's life. Keep playing music, whatever/however it makes you happy.

Me, the acoustic was something I came to back when I was 20, and though I've let it languish for going on a year now (plus about a 25 year gap in the peak working, family years), it's still something I play far better than the mandolin. But mandolin is what I can't put down right now. (And I rounded that 70 corner a while back...)

I had a dalliance with mandolin about a dozen years ago that fizzled quickly. This time I decided to learn the things that I didn't make myself do before, which is really understanding how to play it, working on technique, learning (or struggling to!) learn the fingerboard and associating chord shapes with key and scale notes, etc. For this, I have to take lessons, but they've been a real driver for me to keep learning new things as well find ways to apply what I'm working on to translating what I can do on guitar to the mandolin. Helps keep me sane in these times
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

I respect your decision. You've analyzed your own situation, limitations, goals, etc., and decided what works for you. Of course, part of your decision has to do with your goals. As you said, "I waited too late in life to remotely reach a height in playing the mandolin that I'd be satisfied with." If you were happy to strum "Home on The Range" and "We Shall Overcome", you might have come to a different conclusion. I'm about the same age as you, started mandolin in my mid-60's, and work hard at it with slower results than I'd like. I've also analyzed the situation and decided to continue for my own personal reasons. You have other instruments to play. I have only fiddle, which, due to my physical limitations, I can no longer play for lengthy periods. If I played guitar or some other instrument, I might have made the same decision as you.

By the way, it's not a great idea for the young to advise the old on how to spend their time. I know that there are a few Jackrabbit Johannsen's out there, skiing past the age of one hundred, but most of us are facing physical problems that few middle-aged people even think about. (By the way, I regret nearly every minute that I was forced to spend on a baseball field.)
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Playing on the porch

Heaven forbid, if playing the guitar does it for you, then that's great. I, too, am an old violinist, starting at the age of 8, and always aspired to play guitar, primarily because I just didn't think showing up at a party with my violin was going to do me much good. And, I have owned several guitars who never liked me at all and did not magically play cool music. Guitars are huge and tuned funny and I can only think in fifths. I'm down to one guitar, I think, and it is hiding in a closet, I think. Like others, life happened and I stopped playing until I was 61. I dearly love the violin, but I was a guitarist-wanna-be and was told by my violin teacher that I might try the mandolin. So, at 62, I discovered that my bow arm and shoulder could be given a less stress free work environment by adopting a pick, and I could play sitting down. And, like my violins, a mandolin can go into the overhead compartment. I do love my mandolins.

Good luck with however you make your own music. It's good to recognize what makes you happy.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

13. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post:

You’ve gotta do what works for you. I’m glad you got a good taste of playing mandolin and that you’ve found that your happy place is with the guitar. Play on, friend!
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

15. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

Age 78, playing mandolin about 50 years. I could say, "Well, played a long time, but never achieved the skill level that I could have. Didn't practice enough, didn't organize my practices for greatest effect, never took lessons to learn 'proper' technique. I'm nowhere near the mandolinist that most of the people I listen to are. Why don't I just give it up?"

Well, because it gives me pleasure just to pick up a mandolin and play it, maybe learn a new tune, maybe play along with someone at a jam or a sing-around. The act of playing mandolin can be a reward in itself.

If I spent time and psychic energy comparing myself to Thiele or Sam Bush or pickers at that level, or even to the music I "hear in my head" but can't quite duplicate with my fingers, I'd lose the pleasant feelings I get just from running through Red-Haired Boy for the gazillionth time, or improvising a back-up behind someone's vocal at a party or a sing-around. Mandolin's been good to me, maybe better than I deserve, and I've performed and recorded with my little mandolin family.

I once said to someone who was showing nervousness at a folk club sing-around, "Don't worry; you'll never be the worst musician who's been here, or the best." Can't say I'm satisfied, but sure have gotten a lot of satisfaction out of playing mandolin.

Long-winded way of saying, try to evaluate playing the mandolin in and of itself, not by comparison to what it could be or "should" be. If it still doesn't measure up, list it in the classifieds, or donate it to someone else who'll give it a shot. Bet you'll find that you're getting more out of it than you think.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I understand your decision, but I live with a different view. After 35 years of leaving the guitars in their cases, I took up mandolin at 63, and have not become the player I initially aspired to be. I am a different player and I have fun and get great joy from my current ''skill" level. I take lessons, and continue to improve in directions I didn't understand in the beginning, which all adds to the enjoyment. Yes, I have music in my head that I can't execute, but I learned a long time ago I'm not going to be taller either, so it just is.

Besides, I'm a legend in my own mind
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    By the way, it's not a great idea for the young to advise the old on how to spend their time. I know that there are a few Jackrabbit Johannsen's out there, skiing past the age of one hundred, but most of us are facing physical problems that few middle-aged people even think about. (By the way, I regret nearly every minute that I was forced to spend on a baseball field.)
    I was only hoping to encourage CBFrench that he shouldn't have any regrets about the time he spent and will continue to spend playing music. Im sorry you're living with regrets Ranald.

21. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Ranald 

This weather will change. Spring is just around the corner.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

If you were sure of your decision you would not be asking us about it. Still it is your choice. I have a real nice banjo languishing in a corner. It was bought for my wife who decided it was too difficult and heavy. I pick it up occasionally but have been too busy with guitar, mandolin and about six other things to get to it. We all set our priorities.

I have found, however, that time spent on other instruments or music helps all of them. Playing mandolin helps my guitar playing, fingerpicking guitar affects flatpicking and mandolin positively. Playing polkas and Great american Songbook standards with the band helps my bluegrass licks and vice versa. None of it comes as quickly as I would like though.

Serious players all doubt their abilities and do not see themselves reaching the level they think they should be at. I heard Mark Cosgrove at Kaufmann Kamp say he really did not think he was all that good or quite good enough or something to that effect. I just shook my head and thought "What????" He is as good as anybody in the world on guitar, mandolin and about six other instruments. The only ones who believe they are great or do not question themselves are the ones who really, really need to go practice a lot before inflicting themselves on the public.

Fewer people play music due to modern communications. 50 years ago it seemed half the homes had a piano. Now we are all exposed to high level professional performances all of the time. We can pull up Doc or Chris or Dawg or Bela or Charlie Parker or Django or Rachmaninoff himself in an instant. We compare ourselves to that. It is like comparing yourself to Usain Bolt then deciding you shouldn't run or walk for exercise. Do what speaks to you, guitar, mandolin or bagpipes for that matter but don't make your decision by comparing yourself to others. Good luck.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    . . . I've come to the conclusion that I waited too late in life to remotely reach a height in playing the mandolin that I'd be satisfied with. I'm 70 and started playing guitar when I was 10 and still nowhere near where I wanna be. Now if I had 60 years to practice mandolin but I don't...so that's my sad mandolin story but I have found me a possible dream acoustic guitar I'm thinking about getting. I listen to so many great mandolin players that I just say forget it, ain't got time to be what I wanna be lol
    The worst possible person to compete against is yourself!

I'm about your age, and I just play my instruments because it's (a) fun and (b) my favorite way to socialize. If I wanted to be star, I'd've given up about fifty years ago. In fact, I did give up about fifty years ago, for maybe six months or so. Then I woke up and realized that, regardless of whether I had any talent (whatever that is), my hands wanted to be on a guitar.

Didn't pick up mando until a few years ago, along with squareneck reso. The sounds ain't pretty, but it's like the guitar: My hands just want to grab 'em. I let 'em.

If you just don't have the itch anymore, sell the dern thing. But if you do have the itch — scratch!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

27. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Quiet a few comments on this subject. Some folks have the musical versatility or rather enjoy playing multiple instruments and that's great. Then there are those that have a primary instrument they enjoy playing the most, be it mandolin, guitar, banjo, violin etc. For me it's the guitar. I'm not poor but I'm not rich and as everyone knows even a slight tonal difference in an instrument is a massive enjoyment that mostly the player feels and hears. The reason those that can afford it have multiple mandolins, guitars etc etc. I have 1 acoustic that I really like, an Eastman E10 OM, plays great, sounds great but I've got an incredible itch to move on up to another build, brand, wood for the tonal and playability enjoyment so letting my mandolin go which is saddening would go a long way in helping cover the cost of another acoustic that would be my most fulfilling enjoyment. Quit playing out about 10 years ago so I'm strictly a home player, a home body and all I do is practice. I have my acoustic sitting right beside me on my couch and I'm constantly playing it. Even seldom times watching tv I'm playing something on my guitar or with music coming from show if it's to my liking. I don't even know why I posted here lol unless it was to help convince myself I was making the right move...

Ha, if you wanted to be convinced about something, this is the wrong place to post. Here you can be convinced about things you didn't even know you needed to be convinced about.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

30. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

It's never too late to start anything that is full of musical pleasure or anything that brings one out to be a better person. I'm just 43 and for years just made noise on mandolins and guitars but I recently got a sweet 1921 Gibson K-4 mandocello in a trade and I never played one before and I've been having a blast with it figuring it out, also a few months ago I got a killer H-5 in a swap, I never had too much experience with a mandola and love playing it as well!

Most of us just play to have fun and bring some joy to those who listen. It's always great to excel and be a better player but we must remember we don't do it as a job like the countless phenomenal musicians out there! Happy Pickin on any instrument one plays

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

listed, now excuse me I have to go throw up...

34. The following members say thank you to CBFrench for this post:

I have to hand it to anyone who comes on the mandolin forum and says they like guitars better. They have what it takes in this world and my undying respect.

If this is how you feel, are you sure you're ready to sell?

37. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Now that's a retch-ed development...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I am new here. Came across the forums hunting for guidance on buying a new instrument. This post struck a chord with me.

I am 37. Saw Nickel Creek on TV at age 16 and asked for a mandolin for my 17th birthday. I had not previously played a stringed instrument except when I took violin lessons as a little kid. I can remember the raw fingers, the hellacious noise I generated trying to figure things out, and the pure joy I felt when I could actually do something passable with the instrument. I am not and will never be a professional, but some of my best memories involve making beautiful music with friends.

I totally get where you are coming from as far as not being where you want to. The best way I can relate to that is the feeling I have after watching a true professional play. My guitar tends to collect a little dust in the months following the annual Tommy Emmanuel concert near where I live. I watch Ricky Skaggs and old Bill Monroe videos and wonder why I even keep my mandolin since I will never do what they do.

But...then, my buddy across town says let's get together and play some music. We have a great time. Maybe we will go play some local bars, or get together with other friends around the campfire. Maybe we'll practice up and do a song at church. The fact that I am not where I should, or want, to be, disappears in those moments and it is simply the joy of making a connection with others and the pure fun of music.

The emotional ups and downs that I sensed in your post resonated with me because I have had a similar relationship with music in my life. It has been a hobby - always second to career, wife, and now two small children - but I can't imagine life without it, even though I will never be as good as I want to. It is the push-pull of loving it and then seeing someone way better - and there is always someone way better. And thinking to myself, I would never be able to get to that level. But...I still enjoy it and that's what gives it meaning to me. My guess is that Ricky Skaggs wishes he was better, too. I think everyone (at least everyone who is honest) would say that.

It sounds like the guitar is giving you tremendous joy and that's a beautiful thing. But brother, keep the mandolin close by. To me, mandolin in a song is like a squeeze of lemon on catfish - you don't want too much of it, but there's nothing else quite like it.

Thanks for sharing something genuine. Rock on.

Blog Entries

I've come to the conclusion that I waited too late in life to remotely reach a height in playing the mandolin that I'd be satisfied with.
    While I know what you mean, deep down I really do, the fact is that this is true to some extent, for every musician I have ever met, and I believe, with the possible exception of youngsters just starting out, at all stages in their development. I read an interview with Arnold Steinhardt, first violin of the Guarneri String Quartet, one giant of a musician and a very interesting guy, where he indicates his own regret at not starting earlier and taking it more seriously sooner.

My prayer for myself is that this is always true for me, that where I want to be is forever ahead of where I am, and that it continues to motivate me to work at the mandolin.

Because for me, getting better, or getting somewhere, is not as important as just chipping away at it. Chasing beauty. Practicing mandolin is the way I chop wood and carry water.

But there are degrees of "unobtainable" and at certain points realism dictates that we curb our ambition, (if only, as in my case, to manage our disappointment).

My consolation, maybe my only one, is that I am ahead of where I was.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

41. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Ranald 

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Don't come around much anymore. Mostly stay off the super highway and practice at home. Anyway several years back after retiring from playing out I started just practicing constantly at home working on jazz standards, folk and traditional. I use to play the mandolin a little in my younger years and for whatever reason I just had a bad hankering to get back into playing one again. So I bought an Eastman and loved it and mas set in so I sold it and bought my Pava and I truly loved the step upwards.

Long story longer I soon saw the mandolin was a lot better than I was lol. I spent some time learning my way around, a handful of tunes in various genres but just never felt at home with it like I did with my lifelong guitar playing feeling. Fast forward I probably haven't had my mandolin out of it's case in 5 or 6 months for I can't lay my acoustic down. I'm obsessed with the beautiful fulfilling feeling and tonality of the acoustic to the point of just trying to sell my mandolin to someone who could appreciate the instrument and the instrument would love them back.

I've come to the conclusion that I waited too late in life to remotely reach a height in playing the mandolin that I'd be satisfied with. I'm 70 and started playing guitar when I was 10 and still nowhere near where I wanna be. Now if I had 60 years to practice mandolin but I don't...so that's my sad mandolin story but I have found me a possible dream acoustic guitar I'm thinking about getting. I listen to so many great mandolin players that I just say forget it, ain't got time to be what I wanna be lol
    You can still make beautiful music with a great instrument, even though you may not be able to play like your favourite artist. Sincerety, compassion and soul makes the sound just as much as what little you can contribute to the sound. I love every single one of my instruments and it would feel like abandoning a child if i gave up even one. My family suffers when I pick up the orphan of the family, the fiddle that chose me as it was given to us ("...here, take it, you can noodle on it. I know you like to do that..."). In the few lucid moments that I have on that instrument it sings like an angel. Thatīs enough for me.
    Olaf