Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good pick for starters

Default Good pick for starters

Good morning 🌄
    I had decided that I needed a different instrument with which to move forward and I was fortunate to find a mildly used, Eastman 504 which I really like. I'm working on keeping my fingers in their lanes, so to speak, not collapsing, and keeping the neck from sliding down into the fork of my left hand.

Up until now I've been using turned around guitar picks I've had laying around and I'm ready to get some mandolin picks. I'm not interested in playing bluegrass, more of a folk and chanson style (thanks to those who helped me identify that music). I know there are lots of choices out there and I may well try different ones over the course of my learning but is there a good, versatile place to start that isn't $35 (unless that really is the ticket)?

Additional ask: I believe the strings are fine (the shop where I got it assured me that they were) but if I wanted something lighter, what would you suggest? Would changing to a lighter gauge (assuming these are medium) mean adjusting the neck, or can I just change the strings?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
    Lauren

Default Re: Good pick for starters

I will gladly send you some picks to try out free. Please send me a private message with your mailing address and I will send them out as soon as I can.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandoMan1 For This Useful Post:

You could ask the shop where you got it what strings were in it. As far as picks you could hear hundreds of favorites here. Great that
    mandoman will send you some. What guitar picks are you using? Generally mandolinists prefer heavier picks like 1mm to 1.5mm though some folks like heavier than that. No need to get Blue Chips or equivalent at this moment though you may end up there later. I like Ultem or Ultex picks in general for a material and a tri-pointed shape.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

The right pick is the one you like the sound of. I played with a .73 guitar pick, using the shoulder, for many years. Still use one on that mandolin. Nothing is right or wrong, the only right is the one you like.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Hi! I’m also a happy owner of an Eastman 504. Very much a beginner- see the Newbies group.
    I had my instrument checked out by a luthier who adjusted the spacing between strings. They were very wide, especially the Gs- a finger could easily slip between them.
    I also had a lighter set of strings put on, and that helped immensely. I feel I’m making progress with my lessons.
    It was about $80 to have it looked at but in my mind well worth it.
    I don’t know much about picks, but I’ve been using Golden Gate x-stiff. Feels smooth in my hand and the roundness kind of helped me focus on picking better. YMMV of course.
    Good luck!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TTT For This Useful Post:

For cheap and cheerful picks I really like the Jim Dunlop Delrin 500's - before switching to a Blue Chip I used to use a .89mm hot pink Delrin 500 and really liked it. They're teardrop shaped, but I always used the shoulder end of the pick.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

11. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Happily, it's cheap and easy to experiment with different picks. There's no right answer.

Some of my favorite cheap picks are:
    Golden Gate Clown Barf. I get em from Banjo Ben. I like triangular and 1.3 mm but they range from .75-1.3. Pretty loud. Maybe a little brash.
    Dunlop Primetones. If you really dig these you might like a BlueChip down the line. I think they are pretty similar.
    D'adrea Radex. You can get em on Amazon or Reverb for around 2 bucks each. They are currently my favorite "cheap" pick.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

13. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Question Re: Good pick for starters

#346 (Fender's number for the 'Wankel triangle') many others use that shape.

Big enough to be easier to hold onto.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

15. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I like the Dunlop Primetones too. But a Fender heavy will do the trick just fine.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

17. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I've been using Dunlop USA Nylon 1.0, turned sideways like OP said so I attack with the shoulder. I recently got some Primetone 1.5 large triangles, and they're OK. I bought some Primetone 1.0 teardrops and will be giving those a try.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

19. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

+1 for the Dunlop Primetone. Small triangle, 1.5.

Is the traveling pick sampler still active?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

21. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

https://themandolinstore.com/product...57788085937500

Dawg picks are my favorite cheap picks.

23. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

There is a traveling pick sampler somewhere on the cafe site where you'll get a bunch of different sizes, weights, shapes and thicknesses to see what works well with your choice of mandolin and string. You can try a search to find it. You may find that one just sounds better -- my old Gibson likes a John Pearse hard pick, my Eastman likes the bluechip. It helps to do an A/B comparison with the help of a friend. Also, if you're trying stuff on your own, try playing into a corner. It'll give you a better idea of what the instrument sounds like on the other side of the mandolin.

If you know what your mandolin is strung with -- a lot of the default strings are mediums, generally EJ-74s -- it'll be easier to see what's lighter. A set I have on my bandolims is EJ-62s, for example. There are also Ultralights that are recommended for old bowlbacks. If you browse any of the string sites -- juststrings or d'addario or whatever, you can compare string weights. They may save your fingertips a bit. And I will say that when I changed one of my mandolins to lightweight strings because I was out of mediums, I did have to readjust my intonation, and then had to readjust again when I got back to mediums. Fixing intonation isn't all that tough -- it generally has to do with moving/angling the bridge -- but it was something that needed doing. ymmv.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

25. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Playing on the porch

Howdy Lauren,

Congratulations on your Eastman acquisition. That's a very nice instrument.

I also tend to play a lot of folk, along with soft rock, some blues, jazz and country. I play for an audience of one. I don't do a lot of chording, rather I enjoy the melodies.

My primary mandolin for many years was an Eastman 515. I bought lots and lots of different mandolin picks and ended up preferring one of the more expensive. I love the Blue Chip CT-55. And, although I will open up my pick box now and then to try something else, I always return to the CT-55.

With strings, I approach them the same way I approached my violin strings. I wanted the purest tone, at least to my violinist ears, and I ended up really liking the clarity of Thomastik Infeld M154. They are relatively expensive for mandolin strings, but quite a bargain compared to high-end violin strings. They not only sound good, but they are a bit easier on my fingers as they are flat wound.

It's fun looking through all the options. With time, you'll know what is most comfortable for you and what makes your music sound best.

Enjoy the adventure!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

27. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...57788085937500

Dawg picks are my favorite cheap picks.
    I’m a beginner and I found the Dawg pick to be a little too thick and stiff for novice playing, though the shape and feel is really nice. Something in the 1.0 mm - 1.3 mm thickness range with a rounded triangle shape is easier for learning. Right now I’m making good progress using the Dunlop Prime Tone 514R1.3 that’s 1.3 mm thick with a semi-round shape.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

29. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    There is a traveling pick sampler somewhere on the cafe site where you'll get a bunch of different sizes, weights, shapes and thicknesses to see what works well with your choice of mandolin and string. You can try a search to find it. You may find that one just sounds better -- my old Gibson likes a John Pearse hard pick, my Eastman likes the bluechip. It helps to do an A/B comparison with the help of a friend. Also, if you're trying stuff on your own, try playing into a corner. It'll give you a better idea of what the instrument sounds like on the other side of the mandolin.

If you know what your mandolin is strung with -- a lot of the default strings are mediums, generally EJ-74s -- it'll be easier to see what's lighter. A set I have on my bandolims is EJ-62s, for example. There are also Ultralights that are recommended for old bowlbacks. If you browse any of the string sites -- juststrings or d'addario or whatever, you can compare string weights. They may save your fingertips a bit. And I will say that when I changed one of my mandolins to lightweight strings because I was out of mediums, I did have to readjust my intonation, and then had to readjust again when I got back to mediums. Fixing intonation isn't all that tough -- it generally has to do with moving/angling the bridge -- but it was something that needed doing. ymmv.
    The traveling pick sampler helped me narrow in on the types of picks that work for me. Definitely recommended. My favorites are Wegen bluegrass 1.4, Dunlop Primetone, Ultex 1.4

31. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I’m a beginner and I found the Dawg pick to be a little too thick and stiff for novice playing, though the shape and feel is really nice. Something in the 1.0 mm - 1.3 mm thickness range with a rounded triangle shape is easier for learning. Right now I’m making good progress using the Dunlop Prime Tone 514R1.3 that’s 1.3 mm thick with a semi-round shape.
    Here's a perfect example of how what works for some doesn't work for everyone. I have a hard time holding on to (spinning) and getting any tone out of the Primetone picks.
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

33. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Thank you. I thought Thomastik Infelds were just for violin, makes sense tho; I should see if Pirastro makes mandolin strings. ;-)

Thanks once more for all the great suggestions and words of support. I am only an egg.

Hi Lauren, Welcome to the forum! That's a nice mandolin you got for starting out on. Doubled string courses at high tension require more mass to get things moving. I would recommend Dunlop Primetones, large triangle, smooth finish. It should give you a nice full warm tone. You'll find that your mandolin can get pretty loud with a good solid pick.

I would be a good idea to have someone knowledgeable to take a look over your mando. The nut slots in particular can make it very hard to play if they're not set right. When set just right, it takes very little effort to fret notes on the mandolin.

OK, I'll bite what is "chanson style" music?

37. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Here's a perfect example of how what works for some doesn't work for everyone. I have a hard time holding on to (spinning) and getting any tone out of the Primetone picks.
    Different strokes for different folks is absolutely right. Reading a lot of different pick recommendations can be confusing to novices but if you try some here and there you’re bound to stumble upon one that works well for you. In my case I have an eclectic collection of picks accumulated through the past 55 years but the Dunlop Prime Tone was in a plastic bag in the gig bag that came with my secondhand octave mandolin. I tried it and I like it but I’m sure that I’ll adopt something else as I gain skill. “Getting tone” is a lot less important in the early stage of learning. At just five months into this adventure I’m still working on keeping proper hold of the pick while hitting the right string(s) in the right direction at something near the right time. When it happens I can almost see Tinkerbelle’s fairy dust sparkling! Tone will come in due time as long as I stick to it with proper guidance. Doubtless lssilver is similarly situated.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

39. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

Hi, Lauren.

If you have a decent music store in town look through their selection and pick out a bunch to try. If you can't shop in person, or for a wider variety, try mail order. I have bought picks from Strings by Mail and Banjo Ben's. Strings, too. Picks are cheap thrills! The two main shapes people like are the traditional guitar teardrop and the large triangle. Try different materials: Dunlop's Ultex are good (the ones with the rhino logo); celluloid (Pyramid makes pretty ones in a variety of thicknesses, or Golden Gate clownbarf); the dark brown Dunlop Primetones. Try different thicknesses too.

As you learn you'll probably change styles and sizes of picks. There's no right or wrong.

I've never seen Pirastro mandolin strings. Too bad—they'd probably be fabulous. Lots of other brands and types to try.

41. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Blog Entries

FYI, last I heard, the travelling pick sampler is defunct. Or lost. Or not lost but not found. It was a great project and it lasted a lot longer than cynics like me expected it to.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

43. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Different strokes for different folks is absolutely right. Reading a lot of different pick recommendations can be confusing to novices but if you try some here and there you’re bound to stumble upon one that works well for you. In my case I have an eclectic collection of picks accumulated through the past 55 years but the Dunlop Prime Tone was in a plastic bag in the gig bag that came with my secondhand octave mandolin. I tried it and I like it but I’m sure that I’ll adopt something else as I gain skill. “Getting tone” is a lot less important in the early stage of learning. At just five months into this adventure I’m still working on keeping proper hold of the pick while hitting the right string(s) in the right direction at something near the right time. When it happens I can almost see Tinkerbelle’s fairy dust sparkling! Tone will come in due time as long as I stick to it with proper guidance. Doubtless lssilver is similarly situated.
    I would have to respectlfully disagree that "getting tone is a lot less important in the early stage of learning" - one of the key components in good tone is good technique, so if a player has poor tone then aspects of technique may need to be looked at. If novice players instead continue to practice and therefore embed poor technique it will be a lot more difficult to address and undo later on down the line than it is to address right from the start - "start as you mean to go on" as the saying goes.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

45. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I tried all kinds of flatpicks and hated 'em all. Finally put on the fingerpicks I use for guitar. Now picking's a tropical breeze.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

47. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post: