Thread: Let's talk about the Stromberg archtop guitar on SGW...

Default Let's talk about the Stromberg archtop guitar on SGW...

Dire need of a neck reset, looks like — but it shot up to $8501 pretty fast.

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/137337819
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Let's talk about the Stromberg archtop guitar on SGW...

Amazing that someone dropped that off at a Goodwill.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Great strap!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Great strap!
    Indeed, how could anyone resist a guitar with a strap like that? No wonder it's over $8K.

I see one Stromberg listed on Reverb for $14K, a grade fancier than this one. I have no idea of a fair market price for a Stromberg with a heel separation, but I guess we'll find out.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

What is even more amazing to me is that someone at Goodwill was smart enough to recognize it was a quality guitar especially with the loose neck. I think another employee might have made the opposite judgement call and pitched it. Thank goodness it will be saved!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I think another employee might have made the opposite judgement call and pitched it.
    I dunno ... sometimes they'll list a cheap mandolin with the headstock snapped off or suchlike ... something that clearly isn't worth repairing. When it comes to instruments I am not sure what Goodwill's definition of "basket case" is.

8. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Well, I haven't looked at it, but Strombergs bring less than similar D' Angelicos and more than Gibsons, except perhaps for a 16" L-5. If you can find a Stromberg in decent condition.

Yep, it boggles the mind to think someone is paying $8500 on a guitar that needs $5000 worth of work and parts and should be worth approx $14,000 once restored (as opposed to going to Carter, Gruhn, Elderly, etc. and getting a guitar that is ready to go and verified by world-class experts in the field.)

Granted Stromberg guitars are in short supply, but this isn't even the mid-level model, let alone the top model.

Note:2 nails? in the heel cap.

Also, segmented f-holes which the upper models don't have.

Missing pickguard. Gold plating worn off tailpiece. Heavy lacquer checking....

I can see the potential and it has some pretty wood, but the numbers don't work for me. Certainly a noble goal to save a cool guitar!

11. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

And who are these rich guys cruising Shop Goodwill? Recent thread about the camouflaged Les Paul mentioned the winning bid was over $4K.

Is there an assumption that because it's on a "charity" website, it must be a bargain, even though the price gets into the standard market value range?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Great reference, Allen! Compromised for an acoustic, but fine for an electric. Just a little early in 1929.

15. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    What is even more amazing to me is that someone at Goodwill was smart enough to recognize it was a quality guitar especially with the loose neck. I think another employee might have made the opposite judgement call and pitched it. Thank goodness it will be saved!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I dunno ... sometimes they'll list a cheap mandolin with the headstock snapped off or suchlike ... something that clearly isn't worth repairing. When it comes to instruments I am not sure what Goodwill's definition of "basket case" is.
    These days you can take about 10 seconds and search for Stromberg guitar and get the Wikipedia page that compares it in the first paragraph to DAngelico. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromberg_Guitars

I remember in my insane youth there was a Stromberg G-3 for sale and I piled six instruments into a shopping cart and took it and myself on the New York City subway to We Buy Guitars, Inc. on 48th Street. Too bad they were uninterested in even partial trade. Oh well. This was in the 1980s when I could have bought a lower end D’Angelico noncutaway archtop for under $3000.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Ended at $10,778.77.

I wonder if this will surface after it's been restored. There was a 1906 Gibson mandolin on SGW that had essentially been sliced in half by an enormous crack going from the tailpiece up through both sides; it ended up on eBay after someone patched it up. But you never know if a buyer is looking to keep or to resell.