Thread: i78s

Default i78s

In the relatively recent discussions about the online availability of early mandolin recordings, I didn't find a mention of an interesting and useful site called i78s:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i78s-1.PNG 
Views:	52 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	198844

In order to access the recordings, you must register with the site, an easy, painless operation which does not involve credit cards and will not result in unwanted emails. Once registered, you should click on the video tour button (circled in the image above) for background and for a tour of functionality. Once ready to search, if you type "mandolin" into the search box, you'll get the following screen:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i78s-2.PNG 
Views:	60 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	198845

While 42 hits is not exactly overwhelming, and perhaps not even whelming, it should be noted that entering the term "mandolin" does not search a subject database; rather, it is looking at titles and performer names. So, as a friend suggested to me, you will only find everything by searching performer names ... and their variants (e.g., Siegel is sometimes spelled "Seigel").

For those with broader interests, you'll certainly find relevant recordings, e.g., old time banjo, various types of ensembles, and performers of every stripe.

So, there it is. I just wanted to bring this to the attention of folks interested in early mandolin recordings. Enjoy!

Default Re: i78s

Very cool! I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the day!

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album