Thread: H 1 mandola on SGW

Default H 1 mandola on SGW

Of course listed as a mandolin, lots of bids, although early. Clear photo of label, which casually looks as if s/n may be erased. Another hot one? No photos more useful for guessing condition, and I know nothing of authenticity. Verdicts?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: H 1 mandola on SGW

Without a link or any photos, my verdict is ... meh.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Teacher, repair person

www.shopgoodwill.com/item/137400521

It appears to have been made circa 1920 [+/- 2] and seems to be all there. Note that the pickguard arm has decomposed, and that the pickguard might or might not deteriorate soon.

Cosmetically it's pretty good. No obvious signs of abuse. Like all Gibson mandolas from the period, the straightness of the neck and the integrity of the top arching cannot be evaluated without having the instrument in hand. And the new owner should check the top brace to make sure that it is not loose.

The serial number appears to be there, but has faded to the point that it is unreadable and nearly invisible.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Blog Entries

The model name and number may be faded but are clearly legible; SN is almost completely gone. It would have been handwritten in pencil, right? Otherwise looks decent, if a bit worn. Glad I've already got a mandola, 1916 H-2; no MAS in effect for me.

Does the fact that the model name and number are typed rather than hand-written help date it?

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Teacher, repair person

I can see vestiges of the serial number on my monitor. I've seen other Gibsons that were faded just as badly. A shot from a different angle with different light might show up the remains of the number better.

I am dating it by the Sheraton Brown finish and the lack of a truss rod. Sheraton Brown was introduced in 1918, and after 1922 an H-1 would most likely have had a truss rod. The now decomposed celluloid pickguard arm makes me lean closer to 1918. Metal pickguard support rods started to replace the celluloid arms starting in that year.

We might consider refining MAS with subscripts or extra letters as is common with uke-family instruments, as in ‘MAS D’ for mandola, -C, -B to perhaps tailor the treatment options.
    Good thing I have one very pretty bowlback -D; all I need is some longer fingers.

It's possible that the flash just happens to be reflected off the serial number area of the label. The number might well be legible from a different angle.

Agreed that it's likely closer to the beginning of the Sheraton brown instruments. If it were '22 it would probably have an adjustable bridge.

Guessing this will hit something approaching a market price, like so many other vintage instruments on SGW.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandola sn.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	198778
    Last edited by mrmando; Jan-15-2022 at 5:09pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

The last two numbers look like 06, pretty sure of that. But it's the first 2-3 numbers we really need.

So I first learned about this around 3 PM EST, and got to see it a half hour later. At that time the current bid was at $1100, after 21 bids. Even though I have no need or desire for a second mandola, I couldn't help being tempted, if it stayed low. (Damn that MAS!) It's now 6PM EST, and I took a look. Two bids - two - have pushed it to about $1550. I can see right now this is going to run too rich for my blood, even if I were interested. I guess someone figured out it's a mandola.

I would have found this without the Cafe's help, but I wouldn't be surprised to discover a correlation between instruments (a) being posted on the Cafe and (b) getting more bids.

Currently trying to sell 2 Gibson mandolas and expecting another one back from the luthier soon ... so I need this one like I need a hole in the head.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

In other words, if this gets crazy (like it looks like it's going to) and you still have a hankering, take a look at this H-1: emando.com/shop/dola/Gibson_H1.htm It's just as nice, maybe even nicer. Just sayin'. NFI, BTW.

And I believe you're right about that correlation. It's worked for me a couple of times, though more often against me. Still, I tend to hear about these things mostly at the Café. I'm not actively searching, but open to suggestions. And the power of suggestion is strong.

With the distraction of this item, now over $1700 and two days to go, I snapped up my target instrument for $25.40. Plus shipping.
    The new rescue is going to be interesting, mysterious, and likely an unusual sound. No worries about condition, shipping, modesty in repair, or salability. By the way, almost everything on SGW lately that I research is selling above market, even with inadequate description and no returns. Pandemic isolation causing gambling fever?

$2351.

Well, I've seen H1s listed for more! New owner will have to decide what to do about the pickguard, and perhaps have someone make a new support arm, but this could be a decent mandola at a not entirely unreasonable price.

Question: I heard a rumor that there's a way of stabilizing old celluloid pickguards to prevent further decay. (Granted, I probably heard this in one of those bars where the signature drink is a shot of high-proof liquor with a severed thumb or a dead worm in the glass.) I've also read elsewhere that this is utter nonsense. Anyone care to weigh in?

14. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Blog Entries

Well, that's a bit more than I thought it would fetch, but I'm not too surprised. Maybe you should raise the price on yours; it'll sell faster.

The decomposition is internal to the material, not a surface interaction, like say oxidation, so coating or sealing will not help. Even on something as thin as nitrate movie film, diffusing something inside isn’t done, afaik, and that would be far easier than a thicker guard or binding. This issue discussed quite a bit here, and in film archive publications.
    The only good news, maybe, is that the rot becomes visible, so there may be warning before most likely spontaneous (and explosive) events. However, it is a very variable composition, and objects have a variable thermal history, so we should be careful, even with more recent stuff. I hotplate and thermometer tested ignition temperature on a single sample of rotted guard, and also intentionally ignited a few tiny pieces, but that’s just one sample.
    I suppose that it seems a shame to remove a fancy inlaid guard when duplicating it would be prohibitive, but perhaps we should keep good images around in case techniques improve. Color print under clear vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Well, that's a bit more than I thought it would fetch, but I'm not too surprised. Maybe you should raise the price on yours; it'll sell faster.
    I could change the name of my site to Goodwilll, I suppose.

Blog Entries

Thats a pretty fair price for that Dola I think? It looks to be fairly nice. I like that 22 on Reverb with the Nickle TRC-I already have a sweet Dola, I just want the 22 Nickle TRC for my one 24 Loar as I love that TRC look and I sure wouldn't engrave an original piece!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I could change the name of my site to Goodwilll, I suppose.
    Like MikeRoweSoft.com? Could be trouble.