Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girouard quartet - phase 1

Default Girouard quartet - phase 1

For all you followers of Girouard mandolins and their excellent instruments. I am sharing this photo. I have a quartet on order not only of the same style but the exact same woods. By "exact" I mean same tree. Alaskan Yellow Cedar on top and Sapele for the body.

I played this combination of woods on an experimental mando that Max built and loved the sound. If you are not familiar with Sapele it is like mahogany on steroids. Woody but with much richer overtones. On the mandocello, remember the best vintage D18 you have ever heard. It is bigger than that but still clear as bell. Cedar is typically used on classical guitar tops. Overall it gives a rounder more balanced sound than spruce but is not as bright.

The mandocello arrived today after an 18 month wait! It was worth it. The matching mandola and octave will be built this year.

I have only positive things to say about the builders, the communication, picking the details etc. The whole process was smooth and enjoyable. And... the result, this mandocello, it is just amazing in both sound and feel AND it is a 10 day old instrument that will only get better. I would highly recommend to anyone to do a custom build with Girouard.

Regards, Dan...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	248 & 224.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	890.6 KB 
ID:	198730

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Dan Rosenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Girouard quartet - phase 1

Glory! Now all you need are three friends to come over and help you play them.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Wow, beautiful!

Blog Entries

I'll volunteer to be one of the three players! Such a great idea to work with Girouard. What is phase 1? The photo shows a mandolin.
    Also hoping for a sound sample soon. Best color for mandolins too. Thanks for sharing.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Phase 1 was the build of the mandolin and mandocello which is now complete. Phase 2 is building the matching mandola and octave mandolin this year. Max has a backlog of orders. He builds 2 batches of instruments a year so you need to get a reservation for a slot in a batch generally a year or more in advance. So it was not possible to build all 4 in the same batch. I will wait patiently for the next two instruments but certainly will be plenty busy playing these. Regards, Dan...

Superb craftsmanship aside, that's pretty cool from a collector's POV
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

This is fantastic. Congratulations.

Building a matched quartet is a rare opportunity for a luthier—it's wonderful you were able to provide the Girouards a chance to make these. Let's hear them!

10. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Dave Berry

Congrats Dan. I'm there when/if you do a tasting.
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry

Beauties! I like the under-statedness! After the octave and the mandola you still need the mandobass and the piccolo mandolin.

What scale is the mandocello? And what scales for the octave and the mandola? I assume all are oval holes. Is the mandolin a hybrid? It looks like a neck join at the 12th fret and bridge located more centered on the top.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

It looks like a 15th fret neck joint to me.

Gorgeous pair. Hope to hear them playing together sometime.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Wow. Just wow. Congrats!

Yes it looks like it joins at the 15th fret. These A models are based on the Lyon and Healy instruments as opposed to the Gibson body shapes if I am not mistaken.
    Beautiful! Lets see the back sides.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    It looks like a 15th fret neck joint to me.

Gorgeous pair. Hope to hear them playing together sometime.
    I was looking on my phone. But I was also figuring the fret where the neck joins the body. Oh well…
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Looks like the neck joins the body at the 13th fret to me.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Gorgeous! Would love to hear them!

I second your comments regarding the Girouards being great to work with. I had a great experience with them and would highly recommend them to anyone looking to commission.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

The mandocello neck is 17 frets to the body and the mandola is joined at the 15th fret.

21. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

What will be the application for this bunch? Do you have an ensemble or will you enjoy them individually?
    too many strings

Hello again,

I am happy to report that this project of having Max Girouard construct a quartet reached a new milestone. The Mandola arrived last week. The octave mandolin is constructed but still in the white. It should be ready in a few months.

The instruments as you would expect are all tonally very similar but each has its own voice due to the size differences. Particularly the mandola which can be used to play in the same key (same music) as the mandolin is the most direct way to hear the differences. Its deeper voice is just lovely to listen to when practicing and it's not hard to move up the neck to find the high notes. Max made this instrument with a 17 inch scale and a thin neck (1-3/16 nut) so it feels really fast and more like a long neck mandolin than a traditional mandola design. Also, the 17 inch neck works great with a capo at the 2nd fret to use the "play it an octave down" trick of just moving the mandolin fingering up one course of strings. This way don't need to learn new fingerings on many fiddle tunes that don't use the lowest strings anyway.

Below is a photo of the current family members.

Name:	Trio.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	205738

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan Rosenberg For This Useful Post:

Please post a full trio shot of the backs. And sound samples when you are ready? Thanks!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

26. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hi Jim. Here is a photo of the backs you requested.

The back/side wood as noted in my first post is African Sapele. If you are not familiar with it, the sonic profile is commonly described as mahogany on steroids. Similar in sweetness but with more punch and an even balance across the frequency range. The tops are Alaskan yellow cedar. These are woods you find optimal for a classical guitar build. I am using them mostly for classical music and a bit of Celtic. I have other mandolins in my collection built for bluegrass etc.

Not only is the wood of the same type in each instrument is from the same tree for both front and back/sides.

Regards, Dan...

Name:	Trio back side.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	205773

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan Rosenberg For This Useful Post:

Sweet!
    Proud owner of one of Max and Lauri's myself.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Jan-26-2023 at 7:17pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

30. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I saw a scale length question back in this thread. Cello is 24.5, Octave will be 22 inches, Mandola is 17 and the mandolin I believe is 13.75.

Dan, what is that mark on the back of the mandola? It looks like a tiny cartoon character.

Name:	F68DA272-1B68-4CB7-AE2B-4102BF06BEE6.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	205777
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

That mark is just a lighting reflection the camera caught from some equipment in the room. I was in rush out the door when I took the photos and posted them. When the Octave arrives I'll do a real photo shoot with a good camera of all the various details.