Thread: What's your favorite recorded mandolin harmony?

Default What's your favorite recorded mandolin harmony?

I've been working a lot on writing out harmonies for some of my students - mainly focusing on easier fiddle tunes and instrumentals. While I can write them out, I'd like to have a few recording examples as well.

With that in mind, what's your favorite recorded example of two mandolin harmony? Any genre is fine provided it has 2 mandolins playing melody / harmony
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Default Re: What's your favorite recorded mandolin harmony?

I duno about recorded, but if youtube counts, this is pretty incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt7HlI1RBAI

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandoHog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MandoHog View Post
    I duno about recorded, but if youtube counts, this is pretty incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt7HlI1RBAI
    Go to 2:52 and you'll bypass the mutually congratulatory patter, and hear some very good music.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Brilliancy as linked above is pretty great. I always come back to this tune, Hartford’s Reel, off of the Grisman/Bush collaboration “Hold on, We’re Strumming”.

I remember reading at the time that they played it for Mr. Hartford over the phone towards the end of his life. Obviously can’t confirm, but it’s a nice thought. It wasn’t until several years later that I realized the main melody starts with an homage to Steam-Powered Aereoplane and then grows into its own thing after.

Anyway, I love that there are two distinct harmony stretches: one high and one low and they trade off the main melody line between the two. It might also be easier to transcribe than others: SB is firmly left channel and DG similarly on the right. Maybe this thread will motivate me to finish writing this one out. I worked through parts of it but need to put some more time in.

David Grisman and Andy Statman play some nice harmony on their "Songs of our Fathers" cd. In fact the most recent acoustic disc podcast is based on that recording and some of the tunes are played.