Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • AABA at 140bpm

6 100.00%
  • AB at 110bpm

0 0%

Thread: Southern Flavor - AABA or AB?

Default Southern Flavor - AABA or AB?

I've been working on the Southern Flavor tune for a bit for one of my bluegrass jams. I've focused mostly on transcribing the "Bill Monroe: Live from Mountain Stage" track. The track is ~140bpm and is in an AABA format.

After listening to that too many times, I started finding other versions. Most of the versions I hear, including the "Bill Monroe: Country Music Hall of Fame", are actually ~110bpm and in the AB format.

Since the man himself played it both ways, I'd say both are officially bluegrass certified - but when you all play Southern Flavor, do you play it AABA format at a faster tempo (a la Bill Monroe: Live From Mountain Stage - https://open.spotify.com/track/5iSHdJKwKKRq2NRaS1R3G0) or AB format at a slower tempo (a la Bill Monroe: Country Music Hall of Fame https://open.spotify.com/track/5BFU9ykfnVTRJuB0Fy2SYH)?
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Default Re: Southern Flavor - AABA or AB?

AABA, as fast as I can play it.

Cool poll for a cool tune, thanks!

Z
    Member since 2003!

I vote for C - AABA at 110, I like the way this one sounds at a slower tempo but TEHO…its a fun tune anyway you play it!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

Vote for AABA. It allows the second A part to drift a little bit from the canned version and to create excitment ahead of the B part.

I prefer this at a more moderate tempo and with a much more loose and spacious arrangement vs. madly comping bluegrass style. While the hot picking versions at the jam at 140 are exciting, I play sometimes as a trio with a guitarist and bass at about 115 and we let the chords ring to give the soloist a wide open space to fill. I vastly prefer it as a trio [and audiences respond very well].

Don't be afraid to take the reins and play it the style that suits your group best.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

I vote for slow and with a repeat of the A part. I think I'd call it AAB with the repeat and AB without the repeat. The B part is the same in both cases where it tags with the second half of an A part.

Just learned this tune this past summer. What a great song!! The folks I get to play with indoctrinated me AABA format. Not sure how fast we play it...its fast enough though