Thread: Octave mandolin strings

Default Octave mandolin strings

I recently built an octave mandolin with a 21.75 scale length. I am going to put a set of GHS octave mandolin strings on it (.044 - .011). I want to put octave strings on the G and D. Any thoughts?
    Dave Schneider

Default Re: Octave mandolin strings

I would post a picture but forgot how.
    Dave Schneider

I have a 21.5" octave mandolin. I use octave pairs on the G, D and A courses. Since the Allen tailpiece on this one only takes ball ends I buy single strings from Curt Mangan's website.

G1 .048 G2 .024
    D1 .040 D2 .020
    A1 .024 A2 .012
    Both E's .013

I recently discovered the lack of ball end octave sets. I built an octave and made the bridge to accept ball end. I've been buying single Daddario strings to make the set. Costs a few bucks more, but not terrible. I hadn't thought of trying octave tuned pairs for some of the strings. Have to try that.

My OM is slightly shorter at around 20.75” and also takes ball end strings. As I’ve said before, I use custom sets of Newtone strings - they’ll put together whatever you want. I don’t use octave pairs but, for the record, I’m currently using 13/24/34/52. I’d like to take them a tad heavier but don’t want to over-stress things

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    My OM is slightly shorter at around 20.75” and also takes ball end strings. As I’ve said before, I use custom sets of Newtone strings - they’ll put together whatever you want. I don’t use octave pairs but, for the record, I’m currently using 13/24/34/52. I’d like to take them a tad heavier but don’t want to over-stress things
    Can I suggest you contact Lee at "Strings Direct" here in the UK. He has been extremely helpful in sorting out strings for me for an 18" scale Tenor Mandola

David P

Thanks David but there’s really no need. I’m quite happy with the Newtones; they’re manufactured just down the road from me and the strings are generally as cheap as anything else. That said, apart from buying single guitar strings, I don’t think there actually is any alternative.

Austin Clark did once tell me that he uses ball end tailpieces because it widens the choice of strings available. I don’t think I‘ve dealt with Strings Drect for nearly two decades (since they moved out of the garage). Back in the day, they were certainly the cheapest place to buy muliple sets but others have joined the party in recent years.

R

I use Just Strings.com for the ball end strings. The sell bulk packs in just about any gage. Really inexpensive.

I hadn't thought of the octaves, but will be checking that out. Meanwhile, another member turned me on to emando.com for ball end strings. Great choice, prices, and service.

Blog Entries

I have a 21 1/2" guitar shaped octave mandolin Pono MD - 30 Best for me are flat wound strings;
    G - .54
    D- .35
    EMando.com is great because he has made complete sets made from years of experience. I'd ask him about 'octave course pairs'.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile