Thread: I want to build a mandolin...

Future Mandolinist

Default I want to build a mandolin...

I've done amateur woodworking longer than I've done amateur mandolin playing, but so far the two have never met. In 2022 I aim to change that. I've been getting a little more into hand tools for my woodworking, and I think a great way to learn a lot more about tool sharpening/setup would be to try my hand at my first mandolin. Can anyone recommend a good resource for the construction of a fairly traditional A-model? I want to carve the top/back. I could go a couple of directions on the neck joint frankly; a dovetail would be my preference but for my first attempt at this I could see doing something simpler. Similarly I could go either way on binding or not. I'm planning on a snakehead, F5 length, and a radius fretboard is a must (personal preference since I'll hopefully be playing it someday).

I need a good guide on the construction, and some plans. Is the Siminoff book still the best option for something like this, or are there some other resources that might fit my goals better? What A5 plans might I find that would mesh well with the construction methods in the Siminoff book (or others)?

Default Re: I want to build a mandolin...

Mr. Condino's plans are now available at LMI (https://www.lmii.com/plans/46433-192...-mandolin.html). The Siminoff book is a good starting point, but you will find a wide range of opinions about the information in it in this forum.
    I'm building my first mandolin as well. I bought a used copy of the Siminoff book and it has given me some good ideas as far as order of operations, but any dimensional information I'm taking from the set of Hogo's plans (https://www.elderly.com/products/gib...lans-version-3), though you'll need to ignore the scroll part of the plans.

3. The following members say thank you to Schneidly for this post:

Ha! 'Didn't know that LMII sold those!

Maryland is a short drive to Asheville. A few days visit as a student would set you on a righteous path for that A5 build you are describing....
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Stew-Mac also sells a set of A style plans.....

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...All%20Products
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I think Graham McDonald's "Mandolin Project" book is worth a look. It covers a lot of ground and some different options. It is also available as an ebook.
    https://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/mandolinproject.html
    I see this is also available from Luthiers Mercantile in the US.
    https://www.lmii.com/books/3499-the-...n-project.html

I'm a fan of Graham McDonald's The Mandolin Project. He presents a whole spectrum of construction techniques via four example mandolins of different styles. One of these is an A-style with an oval hole.

I think I have all of his they are good reads! I would love to take a class with j.condino someday sadly currently that just isn't an option but if you can do it go for it!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

This video course looks very comprehensive (13+ hours of content!)

https://obrienguitars.com/courses/mandolin

Blog Entries

I also recommend Graham's book, but be sure you get the plans with it. Some sellers don't include them.

Future Mandolinist

Thanks for all the replies. I did see the A5 plans at StewMac and will probably get a set with my Siminoff book because they're pretty cheap (50% off if I get a membership, which I'm probably gonna do) and Don certainly knows how to build a mandolin. I was hoping maybe someone could chime in on their experience with those plans. I read some old posts from Hogo himself recommending against trying to use his F5 plans for an A5 as your first project. Apparently there are some asymmetrical issues in an F5 body and it's not as simple as removing the pointy parts. Same reason I'd rather not start from an oval hole or A4-style plans. Maybe once I understand the nuances better I'll try adapting something, but for this first go I figure I need a comprehensive A5 plan.

j.condino I love Asheville and might be up for a class some time. I used to have a free place to crash down there, my wife's uncle lived on Town Mountain Rd, but he passed away a couple years ago and I haven't been down for a while. I'd also probably find it hard to concentrate with all that great beer around

FWIW, when I decided to build my first instrument there was no internet, no video tutorials, and not much instructional material available. I read everything I could find about instruments, instrument repair, inlay, finishing... anything I could find. I looked at and examined every instrument I could get my hands on, asked questions, studied and thought about instruments. I did that for about 2 years before I felt like I knew enough about what I was doing to go ahead and start building.

After 30+ years of this I can look back and see that there was a lot or misinformation among all the stuff that I read and was told. I had to sort through the info that I gathered, and that was when there wasn't much info to sort through.
    Now, with the internet, videos, books and publications, it can be like drinking from a fire hose, but at least one thing is still the same; we have to sort through all of the stuff because some of it is still misinformation.

Get all of the resources that you can and when you encounter contradictory and otherwise questionable info, come to places like this and ask questions... then sort through the answers and try to go with the correct ones. To make it even more confusing, not only are there plenty of wrong answers, there are many correct answers; many ways to successfully do things.

What to do? When starting out, "do what everybody else does". In other words, copy a successful model and learn while you do so. Build another, learn more, repeat. With the amount of info available nowadays we can build a very successful first instrument.

BTW, your wood working experience will be a pretty good head start, but there are many skills needed other than wood working. One in particular is a common downfall of builders early instruments (and frankly, some more experienced builders); fret work!! By all means try to learn all you can about frets and set up work so that you can have a playable instrument when you are done.

13. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Nevin 

Quote Originally Posted by JLeather View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I did see the A5 plans at StewMac and will probably get a set with my Siminoff book because they're pretty cheap (50% off if I get a membership, which I'm probably gonna do) and Don certainly knows how to build a mandolin. I was hoping maybe someone could chime in on their experience with those plans.
    I bought the Stew Mac A5 plan about 4 years ago and used it for 2 builds, although I did modify it a little. I think it is a good plan for a good mandolin. As I recall, the printed plan I received was slightly out of scale in the vertical dimension, but that was not a major problem. Also, the riser pieces for the fret board extension were pretty close to accurate, but they needed a little tweaking.

I use parts of that plan for parts of other builds, such as tuner hole spacing, etc.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

15. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

I suggest looking at Crystal Forest plan for a Gibson Army/Navy style flattop. He doesn't give step by step instructions but he provides photos and tips for the build. There is so much to learn before wading into carving plates. And you end up with a really cool mandolin. I've built three now.

I also recommend Graham's book. He now provides a link to download his plans.

I was fortunate enough to live with a mandolin builder (Buddy Davis) for a while while my ex wife and I were waiting for our house to be built... I was a guitar player so I was interested in building a mandolin. He gave me the Siminoff book and my first set of wood for the top back and sides and neck.... I kind of just went at it and was lucky to have him to answer my question. He had an old craftsman duplicator that he let me use for my first few mandolins. Many mistakes were made... haha but what a great experience it was! Needless to say i got hooked and started building one after the other. If you do not have a CNC or duplicator (which i no longer have) I recommend getting a grinder or a compressor with an air gun sanding disc. This will help get the meat off the top and back and you can control the shape fairly well. I only use a grinder now, gouges and arch top thumb planes and palm sander to shape my tops and backs. Best advice is to take your time and check and double check what you are doing. follow what plans you have make all your forms and templates.... You will do a great job.