Thread: Looking for a Mandola and I need some advice.

Default Looking for a Mandola and I need some advice.

I am trying to find a decent mandola. As is often the case, there are none nearby to play, so I have to rely on the wise counsel of you knowledgeable people.

I thought about trying to find a Flatiron Pancake Mandola or a Sawchyn Beavertail, or a Weber Alder but those are very hard to find. I've seen a few Gibson pumpkin tops in the $2.5K range, but for a novice mandola player, I figured that might be a little high as well.

There are, however, lots of Eastman mandolas to be had. Several models at good prices. They look great, but I wonder how they stack up sound wise against Flatirons, Gibsons, Sawchyns, or Webers.

Anybody care to help me out by sharing their observations or opinions?

As always, thanks for your help.

Default Re: Looking for a Mandola and I need some advice.

I liked the Eastman's I've owned for the price but found them to be a little thin on tone. I haven't played a Sawchyn but I'd prolly go for that or a Flatiron if I had the choice.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

I think the best price/quality is to be had with the Hora mandola. It's amazing what you get for that little money. And if you decide to buy a more expensive one, you can play this while you save for it, although you might just settle for the Hora.
    I'm so happy with Hora that I have their Mandolin II, Mandola and Octave. No affiliation!

https://www.thomann.de/de/hora_mandola_m1088.htm?sid=493cde7f88058d83a061d2a 109a0e992&ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZGUiLCJjdXJ yZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjF9&reload=1&glp=1&gclid =Cj0KCQiAoNWOBhCwARIsAAiHnEjth3d9q3rERq9Zi32no971B LKRcv23kxTYiPt75czST9KPhWGEurcaApnzEALw_wcB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-12-15 10.03.09.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	351.9 KB 
ID:	198558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-12-15 10.03.41.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	198559
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

A few observations based on my 13+ years in the mando world:
    1. Our instruments are just not as much in demand (as guitars) - we'll never have the choice, availability and price options for our mandolin family instruments as we have for guitars. I think there are 10,000 guitar players for every mandolin player. Mandola, octave mandolin and mandocello are niches within that niche. There are likely 1000 mandolin players for every mandola player. You can get a real good Eastman E2OM-CD flattop guitar new for about $650 now (just 6 months ago they were $550). To get an equivalent quality mandolin will cost you at least $1000.

2. Like many I started out on low budget starter or student models. When I moved up to custom handbuilt instruments the improvement in tone and playability was HUGE. I would never recommend anyone start at the bottom - spend more now to start enjoying now and don't waste time.

Eastman makes good instruments. I've got their MDC 805 Mandocello and the E2OM-CD flattop guitar mentioned earlier. But no, their mandolins, mandola and octave mandolin models don't stack up when compared to Flatirons, Gibsons, Sawchyns, or Webers.

3. BUY USED! You'll get way more for your money. If you find mandola, octave mandolin or mandocello isn't for you, it's a lot less of a financial hit to resell a used instrument vs one you bought new.

I've got way too many instruments now so fortunately I'm not actively shopping - but in my nearly 50 years of playing stringed instruments this is the worst time I've ever seen for prices and availability. Unless you've really got to have a mandola right now, I'd wait for the market to improve while keeping an eye on the classifieds here.

Unless you’re the type, of person likely to buy, sell/trade instruments on a regular basis, I’d suggest that you buy the best you can get your hands on. I have a friend who has spent a lifetime acquiring cheap instruments and has lost a good proportion of what he paid selling and trading them. I have only ever bought quality and, whilst I also have a house full of instruments, most of them are worth more than they cost me originally - although they are likely to remain with me until they screw me into a wooden box!

As Mandobart says, buy second hand and, unless you pay over the odds, it’s likely to be worth at least as much as you paid well into the future.

not sure your budget but for "starting" I wouldn't go high end, you will be pleasantly surprised by the Flatiron pancake, but I'm sure the Eastman is a good choice for a starter. I find I play my Weber Yellowstone out of all my mandolas, and I graduated up to it, being sure dola was something I wanted to dig deeper into. I have a 25 H1 and that is easy to play but its fairly delicate just because of its age. There is a very sweet Black Collings at The Music Emporium i have been kind of drooling over, but its pricey. In your shoes I would probably go Eastman.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

When buying something, f.x. an instrument, the highest jump in quality is when you go from nothing to something(excluding junk you have discard)

Thereafter you get less and less increase the more you spend. 200$ can buy you a reasonable mandolin, even with a solid top and you can have a lot of fun.
    2.000$ will not give you 10 fold quality and 10 fold fun. If you are lucky it might double. And in most cases you even pay extra just for a name when getting into brand instruments.

If buying from a reputable dealer you will normally get a setup when buying expensive but that easily done by yourself and might not be necessary even on cheaper instruments.
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

The blacktop Collings was mine. I bought it new. Replacement value on it, with the Alessi tuners is probably close over $8k and a 24 month wait. So, if you are interested in it, and have the dough, buy it. I no longer have a financial interest in it, but it's a great instrument and it has a recent George Youngblood set up (no body sets up a mandolin like George). It plays a mean Old Dangerfield. Somewhere there is a recording of me playing it with the CCMS Mandolin Ensemble.

It is a fairly early one. I bought it while the one I had ordered was being built. It's been played a lot. Mike Compton has taken it for a few spins, Jesse Brock, David Surette. But at one point I had four Collings 'dolas, including one of the only varnished ones ever made (I'm keeping that, for the time being). The blacktop Collings was only displaced by the used Smart A5 mandola that TME had last summer. I tried to buy that one from Larry when he first built it. I played it and was awestruck, but he wasn't willing to part with it. It took me ten years, but he eventually decided to sell it.

Here's my advice to the OP, buy a mandola that is equal to or exceeds the quality of the mandolin or guitar that you are used to playing. If you are used to a certain level of quality it is deflating to play another instrument that is not as responsive or has the feel of those instruments that you are used to playing, even if it's a type of instrument that is new to you.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

9. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

https://hobgoblin.com/neopolitan-style-tenor-mandola

I did try an A style mandola at Hobgoblin one time (about. £300) https://hobgoblin.com/fretted-amp-stringed/mandolas, but the E32 octave has such a beautiful tone, so I bought that, even though I really wanted a mandola.

To get good tone in a mandola I think you’re looking at a higher budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    The blacktop Collings was mine. I bought it new. Replacement value on it, with the Alessi tuners is probably close over $8k and a 24 month wait. So, if you are interested in it, and have the dough, buy it. I no longer have a financial interest in it, but it's a great instrument and it has a recent George Youngblood set up (no body sets up a mandolin like George). It plays a mean Old Dangerfield. Somewhere there is a recording of me playing it with the CCMS Mandolin Ensemble.

It is a fairly early one. I bought it while the one I had ordered was being built. It's been played a lot. Mike Compton has taken it for a few spins, Jesse Brock, David Surette. But at one point I had four Collings 'dolas, including one of the only varnished ones ever made (I'm keeping that, for the time being). The blacktop Collings was only displaced by the used Smart A5 mandola that TME had last summer. I tried to buy that one from Larry when he first built it. I played it and was awestruck, but he wasn't willing to part with it. It took me ten years, but he eventually decided to sell it.

Here's my advice to the OP, buy a mandola that is equal to or exceeds the quality of the mandolin or guitar that you are used to playing. If you are used to a certain level of quality it is deflating to play another instrument that is not as responsive or has the feel of those instruments that you are used to playing, even if it's a type of instrument that is new to you.
    Thanks for the info, doing my utmost to show some restraint!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Blog Entries

I agree with the advice above: buy the best instrument you can stretch to afford; buy used to maximize your dollars.

In terms of buying at a distance: I've bought instruments from several places online, which means that to begin with I was trusting the store I was buying from. One was the Mandolin Store. They are great, and their opinions of the instruments have always proven to be right on. Better, if there's something not quite what was to be expected, they'll tell you up front and let you make the decision of whether you want to get involved or not. They've sold me three instruments, I believe.

Same experience with Elderly: on a couple of occasions they've talked me out of instruments that I was interested in because they were too mediocre or didn't sound good or had more problems then would otherwise appear. They even once talked me out of one of their "as is" instruments by telling me that the damage was probably pretty close to insurmountable. Gotta love people who work for their customer even at the expense of losing a sale. Elderly has earned my respect and made them my number 2 go-to because of their customer service.

I personally stay away from the largest and best known "musical instrument community" listing site on the web. (I won't mention the name.) I bought an instrument from them at one point that had been misrepresented by the seller. When I tried to exercise the right to return, the seller turned nasty and refused a refund. The site was largely useless in getting it resolved until I forced the issue with them. That was a number of years ago, but once burnt twice shy, as they say.

And you should know that your choices right now will be extremely limited and the prices high. So, as with the used car market, it might be worth settling for what you have for now, and waiting for things to shake out a little. That's what I've done. I've nearly closed purchases on three different mandolas this last month, and now I've finally decided that instead of choosing from what happens to be available at this bizarre moment, I'll wait for the perfect instrument and grab it when I see it. In the meantime, I'll be working on making myself more worthy of playing that perfect instrument when I find it.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

13. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

KenD 

I owned an Eastman "600" series mandola for a while, but traded it because I wasn't playing it all that much.

If you've got a moment, let me tell you why I wasn't. The MDA 615 was a F-model, carved-top, f-hole instrument -- sorta like an F-5 mandolin on growth hormones. It had a pretty good "bluegrass" sound, and immaculate fit-and-finish, although the top lacquer was a bit soft and showed wear almost immediately.

Problem was, I wasn't playing bluegrass on the mandola; it was Celtic, klezmer, general-purpose "folk" etc. I found mandola great for playing alto harmonies to Celtic fiddle tunes, and for backing up vocals where the treble-y sound of the mandolin was less pleasing. I had two other mandolas at the time, a Sobell with a really long scale for a mandola, over 20 inches, and a Washburn bowl-back. These were oval-hole instruments with a lot more sustain, though less "chop."

More recently, I've acquired a Stahl mandola built by the Larsons, and I'm playing that more than any other mandolin-family instrument now. Again, a warmer, bassy-er sound, more suited to the role that I projected for mandola.

I would say, project what kind of music you're considering playing on your mandola, and look for instruments that would fit into that style. Mandola's a specialty instrument, there aren't too many around, and IHMO its role in bluegrassy music is limited. Eastman instruments are great -- I'm a fan, though I'm down to just one "Dawg" series Eastman now. But in my experience, their F-model mandola didn't fit the music I wanted to play on it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Teacher, repair person

I can't give any insights into the Eastman mandolas- I haven't played one. I would imagine that they are reasonably well made. Gruhn Guitars has a used 815 for $1600, and Gryphon has one for $1650. Both stores should be able to ship to Canada with no problems.

I've played several of the old Gibsons and not one of them was a dog. I've also played a couple of old Vega cylinder backs. They were also good, and had a different nature than the Gibsons.

If you do end up with one of these old timers, be advised that most of the modern string sets are too heavy for them, and will tear them up. I make up my own set from single strings and string my Gibson 12-20-32-49. The John Pearse 2250 set is the closest thing I can find in a pre-packaged set and should work with no problems.

I have had a couple of Gibson H1 mandolas and did not get on with them - too tubby sounding and clunky necks. I currently play a Girouard A shape and a Dave Gregory H4 mandola, both of which sound great, but are rather expensive. The best mandola bargain now available I think is the Eastman 315, a budget version of their 815 mandola. The 815 comes with a classy hard case, the 315 with a gigbag. If I were starting from scratch I would be happy with either.