Thread: Pick Review for an Apollo Casein 1.4mm

Default Pick Review for an Apollo Casein 1.4mm

This video is especially made for Cafe members! I know we always talk a lot about equipment, and picks are definitely no exception here. So I thought I'd make an exhaustive review of the Apollo pick with some other favorites of mine, a BlueChip CT55 and a Wegen TF140.

I'm sure a lot of us have heard of the Apollo pick and some of us might have given them a shot. I even know some serious tone monsters like John Reischman and Mike Marshall have their own pick design with Apollo. If you don't care about picks then at least you get some pretty mandolin views/sounds in the video

I am not sponsored or endorsed by Apollo, I just like trying new things and bringing out the best in my mandolins. Enjoy!
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Jake Howard For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Pick Review for an Apollo Casein 1.4mm

Very nice to put the picks and mandolins through their paces. Retail demonstrators could learn a lot from this presentation.

Ears are different, I liked the Wegen for everything except the bluegrass playing, there the Apollo and Bluechip were indistinguishable.

Thanks so much.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

5. The following members say thank you to ivancook for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Nice video. Thorough. Thanks!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Neat. I like casein picks (have some Hense "happy turtle" picks, had some Red Bear). I like the clearness/transparency of the tone that they bring. Other than that I like Wegen picks best (without the grip holes).
    Olaf

Jake, this was a well thought out, excellent video. I very much enjoy your approach, enthusiasm, sense of fun, and playing. I would likely not pass a blind test on these picks - as I think (for me) the greatest factor is how the picks feel when you play - and your description of that feeling was great. Thanks for creating and posting a well done and fun video!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    Neat. I like casein picks (have some Hense "happy turtle" picks, had some Red Bear). I like the clearness/transparency of the tone that they bring. Other than that I like Wegen picks best (without the grip holes).
    I recently was given a Hense pick. It has rapidly become a favorite. I like the Apollo pick's material and thickness, but I need to increase the bevel on both the ones I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Howard View Post
    This video is especially made for Cafe members! I know we always talk a lot about equipment, and picks are definitely no exception here. So I thought I'd make an exhaustive review of the Apollo pick with some other favorites of mine, a BlueChip CT55 and a Wegen TF140.

I'm sure a lot of us have heard of the Apollo pick and some of us might have given them a shot. I even know some serious tone monsters like John Reischman and Mike Marshall have their own pick design with Apollo. If you don't care about picks then at least you get some pretty mandolin views/sounds in the video

I am not sponsored or endorsed by Apollo, I just like trying new things and bringing out the best in my mandolins. Enjoy!
    Great video. Cool to hear the picks, but also very cool as a mando comparo. I'm the guy sick enough to watch it all the way through for the pick comparo, but then to go back and compare each segments between instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    Great video. Cool to hear the picks, but also very cool as a mando comparo. I'm the guy sick enough to watch it all the way through for the pick comparo, but then to go back and compare each segments between instruments.
    This is why we'll be fast friends, anyone willing to listen to all of this and go back for more is alright in my books. I always love hearing the different mandolins out there...

12. The following members say thank you to Jake Howard for this post:

I liked this video, now I need to buy a Nugget and a Gilchrist mandolin, lol!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Thanks for producing this video, Jake. It confirmed my biases about the benefits of casein tonally when played solo. I especially appreciated your discussion at the end about feel or playability, which we talk about so much when it comes to instruments but comparatively less when it comes to picks. Do you think that any of them would shine more in a group / jam / band setting?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thanks for the really nice video! I’ve been using the Wegen Dipper 1.4 for maybe 10 years or so. I haven’t tried the Apollo, but when I had my turn with the wonderful pick sampler a few years ago, I played the CT-55 quite a bit. But, to my ear and feeling, I preferred the Wegen. The fact that the Wegen is more than 50% less expensive, helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Thanks for producing this video, Jake. It confirmed my biases about the benefits of casein tonally when played solo. I especially appreciated your discussion at the end about feel or playability, which we talk about so much when it comes to instruments but comparatively less when it comes to picks. Do you think that any of them would shine more in a group / jam / band setting?
    Honestly, playability is the most important thing to me right now. Don't get me wrong, sound is of the upmost importance when playing music (cause well, duh) but I am not going to sacrifice my playability for what might be perceived as a very, VERY slight increase in tone production. At this stage of my playing I feel comfortable that I can get a likable tone out of any of these picks so it truly is what feels better in my hands. This of course is my two cents, I could be wildly off target here haha

As far as what pick works best in a jam/band setting, I'd have to say you couldn't go wrong with any of them. The BlueChip or the Apollo might cut more but it doesn't necessarily mean they are any better. Volume is pretty much the same across the board. I think it comes down to what mandolin you're playing and who you are playing with. Mandolins react to different strings and picks quite drastically sometimes so it's about finding the right combo. As for the people you play with, if they are focused on backing you up and making you shine when it's time for you to be heard then you won't have an issue with these picks. But that is more based on if they are listening more than what pick sounds better in a group. And this is where I bow out to not make anyone mad

17. The following members say thank you to Jake Howard for this post:

Almost forgot to mention! I added one more Gilchrist into the mix for these reviews because I know y'all wouldn't mind it.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jake Howard For This Useful Post:

Overall, I prefer the Gilchrist over the Nugget. Oh wait, this is a pick review, not mandolins . I still like the Gil...Picks?, I couldn't discern much difference, the Wegan didn't project as well as the BC or Apollo imho but for mandolins, the Gilchrist had a "modern" edge to the mids while the Nugget had more traditional, Loarish edge to them. Pick your poison as to your preference. Either would truly satisfy all of my mando needs.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Thanks for the great video! I am not at the Gilchrist/Nugget level; more at the Weber/Flatiron level. For some reason, I prefer the Wegen for the Flatiron and the Blue Chip for the Weber. The difference is slight, but to me the Wegen sounds harsh on the Weber while the Blue Chip sounds muted on the Flatiron. I can't explain it. I carry one of each in my wallet. I have not tried the Apollo, but I have tried D'Addario's casein pick. It plays like the Blue Chip for me. And BTW, I love science!
    1987 Flatiron A-5 Artist "Woody"
    2003 Weber Gallatin F "Phaedrus"
    1921 Gibson A-2 "Lily"

Thanks for the fun videos! To my ears, the Apollo and Blue Chip sound pretty much the same, the Apollo might be slightly "brighter" at times, but the Wegen sounds a little "muted." (Disclaimer: I own all 3 brands, although thinner as I prefer thinner picks.) I use different picks for different applications (as in am I playing folk, classical, Celtic?) as I prefer different picks for different sounds.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I use different picks for different applications (as in am I playing folk, classical, Celtic?) as I prefer different picks for different sounds.
    Same here. I think of it like how an electric player uses different pedals.
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    I recently was given a Hense pick. It has rapidly become a favorite. I like the Apollo pick's material and thickness, but I need to increase the bevel on both the ones I have.
    Yes, they are quite inexpensive when compared to other casein picks. And they are good. I understand your bevel "issues". After reading your post I picked up my old guitar that I play with a Hense pick. I have the pick for quite some time and it has developed a nice bevel. Yet it is already quite "crusty". I was contemplating to change the pick for quite some time but was reluctant because of its nice sound. I have updated to a new Hense pick yesterday.

This lead me to review the time old pick dilemma. I am a person with limited tastes and a reluctance to try something new. Yet I give in at times when the next snake oil is being advertised.

So I bought a BC-pick (don't like it except on my Martin D-16M, where it is being played by my son). I bought a Primetone pick after Ivan´s (RIP) rave review. I am okay with it and I like its grip-structure. It's not my favorite though. I got hooked on Casein picks after buying Red Bear picks years ago (still like their Classic-C) and find the Hense pick to be the least exepensive and nicest sounding casein pick. I "lost" my Wegen pick that I play my expensive mandolin with so in a jam I used my "crusty" old Hense pick. Boy howdy was I unnerved. It sounded terrible to my ears, it was floppy in my hand and felt so tiny. It is now that I realize that I had worn it down over the years. An old mainstay is the Wegen pick without grip-holes (can't find them anywhere anymore). They're all the teardrop kind. And I play different picks with different instruments because of the sound difference (weird me).
    Olaf

Olaf,

Am surprised if Michael wouldn't make you Wegen picks without grip holes. Early on, that was the only way to purchase them if I remember correctly. Then enough of us on the flatpick-l list experimented with hole patterns and he ended up using them on the bluegrass picks.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Nice video thanks