Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to upgrade mandolin - need advice!

Default Ready to upgrade mandolin - need advice!

I’ve been playing a Fender fm-52e for at least 15 years now. I’m finally finding time to play daily and I’d like to upgrade. The Fender is ok and it has served me well, but I’m ready for a big upgrade.

I’m looking to spend about $1000, but I can increase that budget if needed. There are not a lot of options around here to go and try out a variety of mandolins so I’m slightly buying blind.

I thought I wanted an Eastman mandolin because I’m coming from a violin background and the neck seemed more similar, but I’ve been playing the Fender for a long time and the neck on it seems more similar to a Kentucky.

My wish list:
    Probably a style because I can get more mandolin for my money

A satin finish is preferred. I just don’t like the look of a glossy instrument.

I want a pickup, but I’m ok with having that added later.

I want a quality instrument that will last me for many years. I’m ok with used if I can get more for my money.

Any help would be appreciated. I hate doing this blindly, but I have small children so I’m B probably not driving 5+ hours to try out a variety of mandolins.

Default Re: Ready to upgrade mandolin - need advice!

I have a Collings and and an 505 A Style Eastman. I think with a buyers trial, Eastman’s new or used are very good value for the money. You can get one used, install a K&K pickup for $200 and stay under $1000

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

If your not in need of an Arch top F hole mandolin you could look at Flat tops where $1000 gets you about as good as they get. Redline, Sawchyn, Big Muddy, Crystal Forest, Red Valley, Morris just to name a few.

Hi Stephanie. Welcome to the Cafe and Forum!

I know they are in the business of selling mandolins, but it may be helpful to talk to Dennis Vance at The Mandolin Store, tell him what you are trying to do, and get his advice. He is a really nice guy and has been in the mandolin business for a good while.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Silverangel in the classifieds for $1600; you said you could stretch the budget. That +/- $1,500 range is a sweet spot for a good used A.

Not satin but it hits your other criteria....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/180314#180314

They also offer this 305...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/180316#180316

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Elb2000 View Post
    I have a Collings and and an 505 A Style Eastman. I think with a buyers trial, Eastman’s new or used are very good value for the money. You can get one used, install a K&K pickup for $200 and stay under $1000

Do you have the 505cc/n? That’s the one that has caught my eye.

If that one didn’t have the chunkier nut, I’d probably go for that one. I hadn’t heard of that brand, but the forum posts convinced me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    Silverangel in the classifieds for $1600; you said you could stretch the budget. That +/- $1,500 range is a sweet spot for a good used A.
    If that one didn’t have the chunkier nut, I’d go for it. I hadn’t heard of that maker, but the forum posts convinced me.

Playing on the porch

Stephanie,

Hunting for a new instrument is work, and a lot of fun. I am an old violinist and when I adopted the mandolin, I found that an Eastman 515 was a great match for me. It is an F style with F-holes and with Thomastik Infeld M154 strings, I havd a mandolin that sings to me. I do have plans for a new instrument, but the Eastman has served me well for almost five years and cost about $1K for a new instrument. I wish you great luck and happiness with whatever you choose.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieC510 View Post
    That's the one that I got when I got back into mandolin about 2 years ago. I initially was going to go with a 305 but the 505 has the better Pingwell tuners, hard case instead of gigbag, the custom contour beveled binding, and the vintage nitro finish which I think looks really cool. I eventually wanted an oval hole and got a Sawchyn and not having the need for two mandolins I sold the 505cc/n here on the classifieds. Both were great instruments but the Sawchyn just fit my hand a little bit better.

Rob

I agree with a previous post that said it is fun and stressful looking for a new instrument. About a year ago I was looking to upgrade one of my mandolins and saw an ad for a lightly used Howard Morris A5 mandolin for $700. It was located about 2 hours from my home so after reading some reviews here on mandolin cafe, I took a chance and went to see it. I played it for about 10 seconds and knew this one was for me. It plays easily and sounds just great. I do a fair bit of jamming, and we are always sharing instruments. Everyone who plays it is surprised at the quality for a reasonable priced instrument. I also have a 1921 Gibson A2 and the sound of these two mandolins is different but the Morris, although a lot less valuable, is my daily player now.

I live in Oregon and Howard Morris makes these instruments in Eastern Oregon so I feel I got something that was locally made.

Please let us know what you end up with. I wish you the best.

Just to follow up, there's a 2017 A5 Morris on Reverb right now. It is just like mine, only a year older. I think it says the shop is in Tacoma, WA.

I’m looking to spend about $1000, but I can increase that budget if needed...

My wish list:
    Probably a style because I can get more mandolin for my money.
    A satin finish is preferred. I just don’t like the look of a glossy instrument.
    I want a pickup, but I’m ok with having that added later.

I want a quality instrument that will last me for many years. I’m ok with used if I can get more for my money.
    For any amount of money, you usually can get a better A mandolin than F mandolin from the same builder or company.

Mandolins with a gloss finish tend to be easier to find than with a satin finish. You will be able to find a good satin mandolin, but your choices will be limited.

On a mandolin, you can't add an undersaddle pickup later without paying megabucks, because of the labor involved. You'll have to add a pick-up that has a wire going across the top from the bridge to the bottom side, which I'm not a fan of. It reminds me of the transducer (attached with blue putty) that I used on my guitar and dulcimer during the '80's.

As a few others have mentioned, the Eastman 504 (oval hole) or 505 (f-holes) could work for you, except for the gloss finish. Those models have an optional pick-up, so you'd have to make sure that you're buying a mandolin that has one installed. Their 604 and 605 both come with the pick-up as standard. On all Eastmans (I think), the nut width is 1 3/32", which is slightly narrower than standard. That could be a plus or minus for you, depending on preference. That has nothing to do with the neck profile, though.

Since Curnes mentioned Howard Morris, I'll also say that Howard consistently gets raves here for his mandolins in your price range, and I think he does both satin and gloss finishes. I've never played one of his instruments, but most of the Cafe ads for his mandolins are Howard selling his new ones, rather than people selling his old ones --- which tells you something.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

I wonder whether the instrument that immediately appeals is the best one for any player. I have an Eastman 305 and a Kentucky 250. Both were great value, and I like them both. The Kentucky appears to be more 'what you hear is what you get', and it hasn't changed from first impressions. I have the impression however that the Eastman has sounds in it I haven't developed the ability or found how to get out yet, and that's interesting. I find the Kentucky neck more instantly user friendly - rounder and slightly deeper. It's nut is I think 1/16" wider, can't say that makes much difference (to me). Good hunting!

At $1000, the Eastman 500 series are a lot of mando for the money. The ones I've worked on were loud and full sounding. Installing a K&K (or it's JJB equivalent for 1/2 the price) Is not a big job for a luthier/tech with experience in putting them in. An internal mount involves gluing in the transducers with a tape buffer and drilling out the endpin for a jack. No wires in the way.

I have a 5 year old MD505 that I bought new, and later installed a K&K pickup. I’d suggest you have a 2 day trial on any mandolin you purchase. I think both tone and playability (neck profile, frets, contour, etc) are very important. My Eastman does not have a contoured comfort (cc) edge, which might be a benefit after playing in a workshop for 6 hours. Buy what you enjoy, since hopefully you will spend a lot of time playing.

Eastman 505, with the reddish Classic finish-not satin but a much better instrument than the 300s. I have found that the sound seems more open than the sunburst ones.

But also take note-if you find a 605 that’s the same as the 505 but with a built in pickup. Might just suit you!
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

https://themandolinstore.com/product...stic-electric/

This might be what you're after. NFI.

Happy hunting!

20. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

I have an Eastman MD315, which I can definitely recommend! A beautiful instrument, also available as A style, not glossy, beautiful sound and within your budget. And you can add a pickup later, if you want.

Assuming you want to stick with F holes (like on your Fender), I would look at the Eastman 505 and 515 Varnish finish. I can take or leave the distressing but it's tastefully done, they look and, most importantly, sound nice. I think varnish finish improves the sound and also avoids the glossy look that you don't like.

If you can move up I would be on the lookout for a used Northfield Model M. Spirit varnish finish so they would give the look you want and great sound. Used they come in under 2k but they aren't often seen. Either of those mandos could well be lifers.

If you like oval holes, The Gibson A jr is in your price range. I've heard some really nice ones but it's trickier buying a 100 year old mandolin without playing it first. If you go that route I would suggest some care and a very established seller!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

There is also this Breedlove in the classifieds...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/180650#180650

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I have an Eastman 305 which I like. I also second the advice about calling Dennis at the Mandolin Store to seek his opinion. He pointed me towards the Eastman when I first started looking a couple of years ago, and I have been very happy with it, and his advice.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

Bernunzio's has a couple (used?) Eastman MD-305's -- A style, F-hole, non-shiny finish -- on sale for $509 each; here's one. You can get an aftermarket pickup installed and still be well under your budget. The Eastman 300's are good value for the money.

Where are you located? Are you really a five-hour drive from a decently-stocked dealer? You can do a lot on-line, but spending four figures on a new instrument seems, IMHO, to call for some hands-on comparisons. Unless you're dealing with a unique instrument, available only from a singe source -- which you aren't.

And here's an Eastman MD-605, with factory pickup, on eBay for $800 or best offer. Has the glossy finish, however.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

In the old days you read books. I learned from the Jack Tottle book. Does anyone remember that. It had advice for buying mandolins. I heeded the advice and got me a Strad-O-Lin. It was the best choice anyone could make. I still love it. Read this: https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pu...s_001443.shtml and find great choices without jumping on the "new"-wagon. Just remember: Play before you pay. And that is directed at new instruments as well.
    Olaf

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post: