Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ready to upgrade mandolin - need advice!

Default Re: Ready to upgrade mandolin - need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    In the old days you read books. I learned from the Jack Tottle book. Does anyone remember that. It had advice for buying mandolins. I heeded the advice and got me a Strad-O-Lin. It was the best choice anyone could make. I still love it. Read this: https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pu...s_001443.shtml and find great choices without jumping on the "new"-wagon. Just remember: Play before you pay. And that is directed at new instruments as well.
    Name:  MV5BODYwNzE5ZTUtMDZhZi00M2EyLWI0N2MtZGQwMTk5MWNjZTA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIwODk1NTQ@._V1_UY100_CR42,.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  2.4 KB

"When I was your age, television was called books!"

...Just remember: Play before you pay. And that is directed at new instruments as well.
    Amen.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

NFI...and I have no real experience with Webers but............this............

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/181069#181069

If it was me I'd be all over that Weber that ajh linked to - NFI on my part but I've owned a few Webers, liked 'em, and that's a great price for one.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

What Jill said. There are three Webers here and they are all well loved. Bruce Weber does business now as Montana Lutherie and has worked on the mandola that Lynne bought. Wonderful folks do do business with. That mandolin is early enough to have been built in Bruce's shop before the sale ... which elevates it in my opinion.
    Good luck & Have fun!
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

I think Allen has the right idea in the Eastman with an added pickup. Have liked the ones I've been able to play. And it would be within the budget.

As an alternative, the Kentucky KM-505 is very nice, too. Especially since you seem to realize the neck might be more to your liking. You can get one of those and add a pickup and still be under your $1,000 budget.

Lastly, as others have pointed out, Morris makes a good mandolin. You might want to try one of his instruments. Slightly above your price point, but you will get a better instrument, IMO.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

7. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I'm not sure if you specified if you were looking for either f or oval holes.

This one checks off a lot of your boxes and is in your budget.

https://reverb.com/item/48628488-eas...duotone-pickup

Happy hunting!
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

Here's another vote for Howard Morris, in Irrigon OR.

I have been totally pleased with the instruments I purchased from him and the price was well within your budget. My instructor, who has way more experience than I do, thought both the A and the F models (I couldn't decide, so I got one of each. MAS struck hard.) were excellent instruments. 48-hour trial period is included on every instrument he sells. I went to see him (Mr. Morris) before I bought, and he spent a ton of one-on-one time with me.

+1 for that Weber Beartooth. That is a very fair price and they do not come up often.

I hope the OP lets us know what she finally decides on.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

In the old days you read books. I learned from the Jack Tottle book. Does anyone remember that.
    My first mando book. Great book. I am still playing around and expanding his arrangement of "New Camptown Races," which I memorized over 40 years ago.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well.... I find that I prefer the tone of Kentucky mandolins over Eastman instruments. That is a personal preference though. Either company makes a god quality student grade mandolin. The A model a KM 900 is about as good as you can get for very near your budget and if you are patient, you may find a used one. Good luck in your search. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    Name:  MV5BODYwNzE5ZTUtMDZhZi00M2EyLWI0N2MtZGQwMTk5MWNjZTA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIwODk1NTQ@._V1_UY100_CR42,.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  2.4 KB

"When I was your age, television was called books!"
    Actually in todayエs wording it would be "youtube". And as it is, I do think that people read less. On the other hand, thereエs great musical advice and learning material on youtube that I am drawing from. All the jazz books that I bought over the years didnエt help me any as much as a hand full of videos (f.ex. by Jimmy Bruno).

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    My first mando book. Great book. I am still playing around and expanding his arrangement of "New Camptown Races," which I memorized over 40 years ago.
    That was my first mandolin book also. I bought it when I didnエt even own a mandolin. Back then it was really expensive (in Germany). It was as valueable for me like a gold brick.
    Olaf

14. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Actually in todayエs wording it would be "youtube". And as it is, I do think that people read less. On the other hand, thereエs great musical advice and learning material on youtube that I am drawing from. All the jazz books that I bought over the years didnエt help me any as much as a hand full of videos (f.ex. by Jimmy Bruno).
    You're right about YouTube. My 14-year-old won't even watch a movie. (OTOH, she's read 40 books in the past six months.) Anyway, I'll take just any excuse to slip in a reference to The Princess Bride.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Ready to upgrade mandolin - need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    You're right about YouTube. My 14-year-old won't even watch a movie. (OTOH, she's read 40 books in the past six months.) Anyway, I'll take just any excuse to slip in a reference to The Princess Bride.
    Different strokes for different folks. Good for her and for you that there's literacy in your family. Whenever a school assignment calls for to buy a book my kids take a look at our "library". I try to keep them on their toes. It's a tough job at times. Last movie to watch was "The Buddy Holly Story" (1978, among others, Oscar nomination for Gary Bussey). The Princes Bride is a must watch movie also. Check out "Hangmen Also Die" with Walter Brennan (3 time Oscar winner). Currently reading a book about the history of East Africa while thying to play my instruments daily and advance in fiddle playing while trying to understand jazz language. Your kid reading makes her instantly likable.
    Olaf