Thread: Favorite Band in a Box realtracks for bluegrass & old time backin

Question Favorite Band in a Box realtracks for bluegrass & old time backin

Hi,

I've been working on soloing and fills based on pentatonic scales and i've been practicing with backing tracks on youtube and band in a box. A few years ago I got BIAB with all the real tracks, but I find there are so many realtracks that the choices are overwhelming and they seem to busy. I also play Jazz and I think BIAB is great for Jazz, but not so good for Bluegrass.

I'm curious which realtracks everyone is using to make backing tracks? I also stumbled upon a website called strummachine.com and I like how their backing tracks are very simple. I'm trying to get the same thing out of BIAB.

I put 4/4 time and 85 temp and I search Bluegrass. The search is not very useful, Bollywood is in the list of results! Almost all of the results sound country to me. I went through them all but I don't find a simple boom-chuck style with basic mandolin chops and a bass.

I suppose they're there but I'm just not finding them. Which realtracks are you all using?

If strummachine wasn't a monthly subscription I'd buy it for the simplicity. But I don't want to pay a monthly fee when I've already purchased BIAB.

Default Re: Favorite Band in a Box realtracks for bluegrass & old time ba

I think I'm going to answer my own question. I cleared my search criteria and I got more bluegrass choices. It seems when I put tempo 85 that the bluegrass styles didn't show up because they're tempo 130+. I found a basic one like I was looking for: Set 11 Classic Bluegrass With Mandolin.

More basic bluegrass sets are 11, 12, 33, & 96 for waltzes.

But if you have other favorites please share.

Have you tried iReal Pro? There’s a bit of learning curve, but you can create your own backing tracks or chord progressions, change tempo, change keys, etc. There are built in exercises. The backing “instruments” aren’t perfect, but they do the job. It works on iOS, not sure if it’s available for Android or Windows. And it’s not expensive, maybe $10 for basic app, upgrades if you want more style options.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

I ignore the tempo settings. I just pull up the tracks, audition them and choose. I change the tempo as desired and ignore the complaints. I also mute the solos as necessary.

I agree that the jazz tracks are better.

The oldtime bluegrass track is pretty basic.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by A-board View Post
    Have you tried iReal Pro? There’s a bit of learning curve, but you can create your own backing tracks or chord progressions, change tempo, change keys, etc. There are built in exercises. The backing “instruments” aren’t perfect, but they do the job. It works on iOS, not sure if it’s available for Android or Windows. And it’s not expensive, maybe $10 for basic app, upgrades if you want more style options.
    I have iReal Pro and it's great for when one is not near a computer. But the sounds don't inspire me. Can't beat the price though.