View Poll Results: Which Eastman Mandolin model do you recommend?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • MD-315

5 62.50%
  • MD-515

3 37.50%

Thread: Help me choose my 1st Mandolin!

Default Help me choose my 1st Mandolin!

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I play Guitar and Bass, but I have been bitten by the Mandolin bug and will be purchasing a new Mandolin.

I've narrowed it down to Eastman.

MD-315 vs MD-515.

As a complete noob who prefers to buy once cry one, which one would you recommend I get?

I don't plan to upgrade to anything more expensive since I don't have aspirations of becoming a pro. Will use it mostly to learn to play, home use, and when I get good enough hit local jams.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: Help me choose my 1st Mandolin!

Hello and welcome! This forum is the best and I'm positive you'll have fun and find lots of info here

I hope to not deter your search but I have a couple questions that might help you out on your mando journey.

What type of music do you play on your guitars?

What type of music do you want to play on the mandolin?

Why are you set on only one brand, Eastman?

Is it necessary for you to have a scroll (F style mandolin)?

Happy pickin'

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

When I taught in a store, I played a 315. I upgraded it by adding an cast tailpiece, the early ones did not have them. I also upgraded the tuners to Grover 309 or equivalent, since it seems they have all but disappeared. The thin finish and the good wood in that mandolin made it sound great. It got better over the years as well. IMHO the 515 is not that much better.

5. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Hello and welcome! This forum is the best and I'm positive you'll have fun and find lots of info here

I hope to not deter your search but I have a couple questions that might help you out on your mando journey.

What type of music do you play on your guitars?

What type of music do you want to play on the mandolin?

Why are you set on only one brand, Eastman?

Is it necessary for you to have a scroll (F style mandolin)?

Happy pickin'
    Hello Zach, thanks for welcoming me and for your reply.

I like all kinds of music and have been playing many genres on electric bass for the last 2 -3 years. I recently picked up an acoustic guitar and have been enjoying it quite a bit, but I have come to the realization that I'm a 4-string instrument kind of guy. I briefly tried a mandolin at my local music store the other day, and I am intrigued by the instrument. My goal is to eventually hit Bluegrass local jam circles.

I am primarily looking at Eastman because of online comments and reviews about how good they are for an entry/intermediate level instrument. Also, the acoustic I own is an Eastman (E3DE) Dreadnought guitar, and I am quite pleased with the build quality, solid wood construction, and sound at its price point. That being said, I am always open minded.

From a pure aesthetics perspective, I find the F style very pleasing to the eye, and the A style quite unappealing. I know that an F style will motivate me to pick up the instruments and play.

7. The following members say thank you to Ruknrole for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruknrole View Post
    Hello Zach, thanks for welcoming me and for your reply.

I like all kinds of music and have been playing many genres on electric bass for the last 2 -3 years. I recently picked up an acoustic guitar and have been enjoying it quite a bit, but I have come to the realization that I'm a 4-string instrument kind of guy. I briefly tried a mandolin at my local music store the other day, and I am intrigued by the instrument. My goal is to eventually hit Bluegrass local jam circles.

I am primarily looking at Eastman because of online comments and reviews about how good they are for an entry/intermediate level instrument. Also, the acoustic I own is an Eastman (E3DE) Dreadnought guitar, and I am quite pleased with the build quality, solid wood construction, and sound at its price point. That being said, I am always open minded.

From a pure aesthetics perspective, I find the F style very pleasing to the eye, and the A style quite unappealing. I know that an F style will motivate me to pick up the instruments and play.
    All very valid reasons

I just wanted to make sure you weren't hoping to play Celtic or another genre where an arch top wouldn't be necessary.

Eastman's are good. Sound like you have done your research. Folks like them here too. Although the tuners (upgrading them) seems to come up a lot.

Between the 315 and 515 I like the thinner finish of the 315 better as mentioned above. I actually have my eye on a 314 (I love that scroll too)... I don't primarily play BG and like ovals.

If you're not looking at upgrading to a, shall we say "better" instrument than, yes! Get that scroll now!
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

9. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

I went with the 315 because of the satin finish. It doesn't irritate my skin like a glossy finish. Otherwise I felt both the 315 and 515 played and sounded about the same. Good luck with whichever you choose though - either one is a winner for the price.

11. The following members say thank you to Randolph Millsap for this post:

Thank you all for the replies so far. I have to say I'm a bit surprised the replies so far favor the 315.
    I'm glad I asked.

Having said what I said this ad came up here: [https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/180804#180804[/URL]

14. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Basic differences between the "300" and "500" series Eastmans, based on what I've seen and played, are finish, degree of "figure" in the maple back and sides, binding and hardware. As you read above, there are players who like the more "stripped down" 300's.

I was just reminded, reading a quote from Gibson head luthier Charlie Derrington, that every individual mandolin (or other instrument) is different -- even ones of the same make and model. So generalizations about various models and series don't necessarily tell you all you want to know.

If you have a mandolin-playing friend, take him/her to assist you in making the selection -- assuming you can go to a well-stocked dealer and try several instruments, or at least listen to someone else play them. You may be buying on-line, though, which makes the task harder. You probably can't go far wrong with an Eastman, one of the better brands of Asian-made mandolins, but it's great to be able to "comparison shop" by actually playing, or hearing, the mandolins you're choosing.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I've narrowed it down to Eastman.

MD-315 vs MD-515.
    You could save yourself a fair bit of money by going for the A-model of either, i.e. the 305 or 505. Most here seem to be of the opinion that the 305/315 are basically the same instruments but with different styling: A style teardrop, 305/F style with scroll, 315 - and the same applies to the 505/515. If you prefer the 500 series Eastmans (ie 505 or 515), you might get a 505 for about the same cost as a 315. Apart from the glossy thicker finish on the 500 series (and the 500 might be back bound with fancier looking wood?), some of us here find the only significant difference is that we need to replace the tuners on our 300 series Eastmans. Some (apparently not all) are REALLY stiff. I think the 500 series comes with better quality tuners.

I've got a 305, and I really like it. It does look plain, which is part of what I like. The other mandolin I have is a Kentucky KM250, which goes the other route - glossier sunburst finish, OK machine heads out of the box, slightly different neck feel and a different sound. I'd say the Eastman sounds 'drier', so may suit Bluegrass or Folk well, the Kentucky has a more open sound that miight be more versatile but a bit less characterful. Both are great value, and in the same price range, and like the guys above say, you're better to play them both, and then try to play several examples of the one you like - in fact, everything the store has that's not above your price range.

Personally, I try always to pay for sound in any instrument, and if it looks good that's a bonus. So, I wouldn't buy either an Eastman 315 or a 515 - I'd look at the 305 and 505 (and other A shape mandolins), they're MUCH better value in this price range and sound pretty much the same (with caveat because identical looking same model instruments can sound different. If you've gotta have an F style, though, it's your money - Good luck!
    Last edited by maxr; Dec-23-2021 at 1:23pm.

18. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’m still undecided but definitely know I want an F style mandolin. There is a music store about 1 hour from me that has some 315s in stock. I will take the drive tomorrow to check out the mandolins and we’ll see how it goes. I’m also monitoring the classifieds for a good deal.

Blog Entries

I guess I disagree with everyone. Why are you buying new, why are you buying Eastman? Why are you not looking at flat tops, or other mandolin types.

I don't mean you shouldn't go with Eastman, just that it seems you could be equally disappointed with any and all mandolins, why chose Eastman. Eastman's are great, and they are many folks's go-to instrument. But they are a very specific instrument, and not an inexpensive generic "if you don't know what you want get an Eastman". It is significant money. And points you in a specific direction. Have you chosen that direction? Have you deliberately considered and rejected other directions?

Why not try and rent, or borrow, a mandolin for like a month and see what you are going to like and going to find irritating. Rentals are available at some music stores, and some libraries I have noticed are even lending out playable instruments. And best if you have a friend that you could borrow their second, or come and play it often at their house.

Getting, begging or borrowing an instrument will for a while will greatly increase your ability to determine what you want, and if you still chose Eastman, good on ya. But if you don't, think of the money and hassle you have saved.

And then why a new instrument? I have gone through a more than several mandolin purchases and maybe once or twice was the first owner. OK let me think, yea three times, out of a whole bunch. Point is that perhaps the informed answer to "what you want" is available on the classifieds at a decent price. There are several Eastman mandolins in the classifieds.

For me it would have to be something really special for me to consider being the first owner. But obviously many would disagree, because Eastman is very popular and they are doing well.

I just think a brand new Eastman is a pretty specific choice, a lot of mandolin for "will use it mostly to learn to play, home use, and when I get good enough hit local jams".

I am just thinking out loud. If you have covered this territory in your thinking already, then oops sorry I missed it. But maybe it will help others.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

21. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I don't plan to upgrade to anything more expensive
    A lot of us started with that thought.

And now here we are.
    Bren

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    A lot of us started with that thought.

And now here we are.
    Hang on, Bren. I haven't bought a Weber yet, and I've been playing, well, nearly a whole year...

25. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

I tested several Eastman 315s yesterday. To my surprise they all sounded different, and was not convinced by any of them. I will be going a different route, and in the used market.

Blog Entries

I don't plan to upgrade to anything more expensive since I don't have aspirations of becoming a pro.
    A side note: it is my impression that for the most part (with some notable exceptions) the pros don't typically spend a huge amount on mandolins. They can't afford to "fall in love" with the tools of the trade.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

28. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I never came back to give an update but I ended up buying a Loar LM-600. I had a used one lined up from the classifieds but that didn’t pan out so I bought a new one.
    Thanks everyone that replied to my thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5CA8AF5-61D8-4027-A67D-9D6F4413DC4A.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	667.4 KB 
ID:	201506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE434618-2986-417F-9F30-CA06F1A48F0A.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	543.7 KB 
ID:	201507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7DBC9F01-F33D-41A3-82EC-64F0DA13847D.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	572.8 KB 
ID:	201508