Thread: JML Studios on Reverb (Odd Gibson A Treatment)

Default JML Studios on Reverb (Odd Gibson A Treatment)

https://reverb.com/item/47200281-gib...-and-2-saddles

This listing really confuses me. Some of the work just seems ridiculous to me, like completely refinishing the instrument, a reproduction label, a new tailpiece, removing and selling the original pickguard in another listing, rebinding, etc. And on top of that asking 4x as much as these usually sell for.

Also he says the restoration won't be done until January, but there's already a section describing how good it sounds?

I'm not sure who this guy thinks is going to buy this, especially after removing almost all originality it had.

Default Re: JML Studios on Reverb (Odd Gibson A Treatment)

That same mandolin is discussed here for the last week or so: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...=1#post1845299
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I haven't seen a mandolin of this vintage sell for anywhere that amount, even an original snake head with original finish. This guy is dreaming, nothing wrong with dreaming, but doubt it will be a financial rewarding dream in reality.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Teacher, repair person

No, the seller isn't dreaming. He's looking for a buyer who knows nothing about Gibson mandolins.

For the record, a more accurate market value for a refinished 1921 paddle head plain model A would be in the neighborhood of $500, maybe a little more if the work is done really well and the original tailpiece, tuners, and pickguard are present; and less if the finish job is thick or sloppy.

The seller uses the term concourse restoration which refers usually to restoring a classic car replacing or refurbishing every single part even to the point of making it better than it was originally. I think he is clueless on what the market will bear. He has a few other mandolins, one an Eastern European flat back and a couple of middling Bowlbacks that received the same treatment and that he is asking over $1000 each. His language is insanely over the top. He describes the Gibson as one of the most amazing mandolins on the planet.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

a couple thoughts...

It has been said the first rule of vintage instruments is never mess with the original finish. The second rule of vintage instruments is never mess with original finish...

That being said, sometimes repaired instruments require touchup to match the surrounding original finish. Refinishing a player grade instrument to make it look new becomes a moral dilemma if nothing needs repaired structually. OTOH, some people just like refinishing stuff. And, some are very good at it. Many are not.

Working at a vintage guitar shop, I saw many poorly refinished instruments that would have been better left alone. A similar moral question exists in other fields of collectiong. For example, vintage car collectors don't seem to mind refinishing a car to "better than factory" standards. That said, an original finish car always brings more money. OTOH, stricter standards exist among antique gun collectors...

Finally, my experience in repairing instruments has taught me in many cases people are willing to pay more for the restoration work than the instrument would be worth to resell. Sometimes, usually sentimental reasons, such as restoring grandpa's guitar or restoring my old Strat I bought new in 1964....

So yeah, the shop I work at charges customers $65 an hour for repair work plus parts and materials, if needed, both for structural work as well as refinishing. Obvously, you can quickly see how the hours can add up.

The work "philosophy" of the shop mentioned on Reverb seems ill-advised, if not an out and out scam, IMHO.

Here's a trade secret: The best way to restore a fine vintage Gibson A like this is to place it inside The Onion's Hyperbolic Chamber, the EHC-1 Alpha, which, as everyone knows, is, "an unquestionably, undeniably, fantastically revolutionary milestone in the history of science, mankind, and the universe, all of which it will undoubtedly change forever."

The original article: https://www.theonion.com/amazing-new...-th-1819567821
    1913 F4, 1914 H1, 1915 A1, 1923 F2, 2007 Jim Rowland F5