Thread: Thoughts on a Big Muddy MM-8?

Default Thoughts on a Big Muddy MM-8?

Considering a Big Muddy MM-8 as an introduction to Big Muddy/ Mid Missouri instruments.
    Thoughts?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Thoughts on a Big Muddy MM-8?

I can't speak for the tone of a MM-8 but I can speak for the build quality of Mike's builds. My introduction to his work came in an EM-8 that plays "like butter". From the comment of others on this site I would believe this carries through with all of his builds.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: Thoughts on a Big Muddy MM-8?

I have a Mid-Mo M2 spruce top maple body purchased through the classifieds about 3 years ago and I really believe it is a great instrument, especially based on dollars spent. (Granted it was like new and had the "used car" discount). It is a solid build and has exactly the tone I was looking for to play Irish and OT. Playability is excellent.
    The MM8 has different (thinner) body style than mine so I can't really comment on it. Not exactly apples to apples.
    Mike's reputation is well documented on this site and I feel its well deserved. I would expect the MM8 to be of his usual quality, but maybe a different sound than his other offerings.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx