Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best prices Gibson F5

Default Best prices Gibson F5

Hey all,
    I wanted your opinion on which model( year and style) of Gibson F5 gives the best "bang" for the buck? I know Gibson also built under different names( Flatiron/ Bradbury etc). Looking forward to your advice. Thanks Jan

Default Re: Best prices Gibson F5

Hi Jan
    You might want to look at Gibson F9's. Good used one in the mid $3K range pop up fairly often. I had one and I think it gives you everything you need and nothing you don't -- such as decorative stuff. Simple with basic binding on the top only, satin finish, and rosewood fixtures. But, it has "the sound." If bling isn't your thing and tone is, this could be a good fit.

Teacher, repair person

The best bang for the buck I know of in F-5's these days is not on Gibsons.
    We have a cornucopia of choices these days.

For example, Paul Newson's mandolins are very good. Not cheap at $8500 new, but as good as instruments costing thousands more.

A new F-9 costs $5300, gloss finish F-5G's are $6400, and fully bound F-5's start at $7500 and go up from there. There are lots of other choices in those price ranges.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    The best bang for the buck I know of in F-5's these days is not on Gibsons.
    We have a cornucopia of choices these days.

For example, Paul Newson's mandolins are very good. Not cheap at $8500 new, but as good as instruments costing thousands more.

A new F-9 costs $5300, gloss finish F-5G's are $6400, and fully bound F-5's start at $7500 and go up from there. There are lots of other choices in those price ranges.
    I don't understand constant steering away from Gibson. This user specifically ask about GIBSON/GIBSON MADE, whey do you feel the need to throw in what amounts to YOUR opinion on other makes and vendors? I assume this user has done some research and has a reason to they specifically ask about GIBSON.

Sheesh!!

6. The following members say thank you to KMaynard for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by KMaynard View Post
    I don't understand constant steering away from Gibson. This user specifically ask about GIBSON/GIBSON MADE, whey do you feel the need to throw in what amounts to YOUR opinion on other makes and vendors? I assume this user has done some research and has a reason to they specifically ask about GIBSON.
    Sheesh!!
    This is public forum and the post while not directly answered the OP question was not off topic,
    IMO, as the question is basicly unanswerable. We don't know waht kind of tone is OP looking for, perhaps for Bluegrass...
    All anyone can do is speculate and offer opinions. I've seen real dogs in so many models and years of Gibson that makes impossible to say one of them is best bang for buck.
    Adrian

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Well... the question is a pretty limited one.

Itīs not: Which Gibson is the best bang for the buck? (In my opinion probably a snakehead Ajr or an elevated fretboard A-50 or so, or a 40ies F-4; and mind you I am an f-hole guy...)

Itīs not: Which F-5 style mandolin is the best bang for the buck? (Boy howdy, do you open a can of worms... For me even though modern Gibsons are great... they are not a great bang for the buck...)

Itīs not: Which f-hole mandolin is the best bang for the buck? (Even more interesting, because the F-5 style mandolin will almost immediately take a back seat to the A-5 style mandolin and my opinion is opinionated... I`ll stand by it: Strad-O-Lin)

Itīs not even: Which mandolin is the best bang for the buck? (The classic guys will definetly have a different opinion from us hick bluegrass diehards...)

Soooooo..... Which Gibson F-5 is the best bang for the buck....? I would possibly say itīs a 50ies elevated fretboard F-12.... What say you??? And why? (I think that any modern Gibson F-something mandolin is pricier than a 50ies one and the sound and quality is still okay).
    Olaf

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I agree that Gibsons do not offer the best value in their price ranges. However, if you want “The Gibson”, David Harvey and his team are making some nice ones

Best Gibson F5 for you buck: used F5G

Teacher, repair person

"Used F-5G . . ." Yes, probably the best bang for the buck, but you have to find a good one.
    Also, some of the Gibson built Flatirons are comparable to F-5G's.

The problem is that Gibson's quality of tone, projection, and construction has not been consistent. Some are good, some are not, and the year and the model variation do not necessarily seem to be the determining factor. We can safely say that F-5's built between circa 1960 and 1987 are usually weak instruments. Gibsons built between 1987 and the early 2000's vary considerably in quality-- I've played a few that were good, and others that were not. It is said that the instruments that David Harvey is building now are good, but I have yet to see one.

The only F-5 style mandolins that I have encountered that were built in the Gibson factories were Gibsons and Flatirons. Be aware that US Flatiron production was discontinued around 2001. About 2007 or 2008, Flatirons were re-introduced, but these late model Flatirons were lower grade models that were built in Asia.

In 1986, there were some F-5's with the "Nouveau" brand that were assembled and finished in the US from necks and bodies that were built in Japan, but by the fall of 1987, the Nouveaus were completely built in the Epiphone plant. Gibson did not make any instruments with the Bradbury name.
    Last edited by rcc56; Dec-15-2021 at 11:55pm.

11. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    you buck
    Words are hard

I'd say, a used Sam Bush model, if you like a loud, classic Gibson F-5 sound. A fairly high amount of bucks, but a lot of bang too. And I found them to be the most consistant among Gibsons that I playedwhen I was shopping more actively 15 years ago.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, TwangboxŪ
    TwangboxŪ Videos

Hmm - sounds like considering an old Gibson mandolin could be a minefield unless you know what looking at and what it should or could sound like. Are there many fakes or 'Chibsons' around?

I'd guess a Gibon era Flatiron would be the best bang or and F9

Blog Entries

If I was looking for a newer Gibson that one of a kind A-5 from 1996 that was just posted would be it! NFI at all, but she has a great look and with an Addy top, bound F-holes, fancy inlays. I'd go with that one! also signed by Bruce Weber! Not a bad price at all, and knever hurts to make an offer as this ones been for sale for awhile now. I believe on GBASE?

According to Dennis Vance at The Mandolin Store, Gibson is currently making the best mandolins now and the quality is consistently high in quality build and tone. I can concur wholeheartedly in the new Gibson F5's that I have played recently. Just the other day I played on a new F9 https://themandolinstore.com/product...n-f9-mandolin/ that was absolutely great. It sounded killer and it hasn't been broken in yet.

All the interviews that I've read recently with David Harvey attest to the quality and attention to detail that his team is currently putting into each instrument that they are building. In fact, I just bought one and I wasn't planning on it, but I was so impressed with the 3 new models hanging on the wall that I bought the F5 Fern although that F9 sounded just as good.

Carter's has a good selection of F5 type mandolins and I recently played on an F9 there that was also great value for the price. See current selection here: https://cartervintage.com/collection...straint=gibson

Short answer, yes I agree with Ranger Bob.

18. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

Gets me thinking about instruments that I USED TO OWN. In particular, a 2001 Weber Bighorn (two point). It cost me new only $1200. Never should have sold it. But, I do still enjoy every day my 1920 A-2 and a Martin C. I'm not a bluegrass player, as you might suppose.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stinkoman20xx View Post
    I'd guess a Gibon era Flatiron would be the best bang
    That would be my answer as well. The Nashville-era Festivals may not have Gibson on the peghead, but it is on the label as they were built in the same facility by the same workers according to what I have read. The biggest difference is that the Flatiron can often be found for under $3K.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

IMHO, a newer model signed by David Harvey is hard to beat. The best value would generally be a used F9, if you can find one.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Anything that David Harvey has had his hands on at Gibson would be IT! I personally believe under David; Gibson makes the best mandolins since the Loar heyday. Thats my opinion anyway, not everyone will agree but David knows tone and how to fix em and build them to get the most out of them IMHO. His repair work that he's done for me and others is top notch.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Did anyone say Flatiron era Gibson?

Quote Originally Posted by KMaynard View Post
    I don't understand constant steering away from Gibson. This user specifically ask about GIBSON/GIBSON MADE, whey do you feel the need to throw in what amounts to YOUR opinion on other makes and vendors?...
    The term "ham sandwich" comes to mind -- a term I invented (yes I did!) for those times when an OP asks, "Who has the best ham sandwich?" -- only to be answered by "You should really buy the tuna melt/Reuben/corned beef on rye/etc., etc."

IMHO, one should start by answering the OP's question -- as stated -- to the best of one's ability, then suggest alternatives. May well be that be mandolin the OP would really like best, ain't a Gibson F-5. But when asked for "the best ham sandwich," courtesy suggests that one starts with a discussion of, well, ham sandwiches.

On the topic: I for several decades owned a 1954 Gibson F-5; it was a good mandolin, quite bassy, and affordable because it wasn't a vintage year for Gibson mandolins. You could probably buy one now for about the price of a new F-9. You'd have the Gibson name and pedigree, and wouldn't spend what you'd need to spend to get current model. On the other hand, I never felt that a '50's F-5 would inspire the kind of respect that a $5K+ price tag should.

A lot depends on what's considered "bang for the buck." And, as always, the caveat that every individual mandolin is, to some extent, unique, with a characteristic sound not necessarily shared by other mandolins of the same make, model, and vintage. As some great mind once said, "No generalization is worth a damn -- including this one."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Teacher, repair person

For the record, please observe that I responded to my so-called "ham sandwich" post with an attempt to give direct answers to the original questions.
    Also, please observe that the fellow who originally called me out has not yet made any effort to answer those questions himself.
    At least I was trying to be helpful with both of those posts.
    I have a difficult repair on the bench, and important paperwork that needs attention. I need to devote my time and energy to those things rather than spending it here.

28. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Also, please observe that the fellow who originally called me out has not yet made any effort to answer those questions himself.
    I really didn't mean to "call you out", but just have a hard time understanding why you must always interject your negative opinion or non-responsive recommendation when the topic originator specifically ask about Gibson F5, best value and bang for the buck.

As for me answering the OP, my recommendation is stay with Gibson's after 2000 and a good used F9 or F5G would be my answer to your question.

I don't feel qualified to comment on the specific qualities of different models/eras of gibson mandolin. The range of replies here though say to me that the old maxim "try before you buy" is really important here if you are after buying one, and try lots. Good luck!

31. The following members say thank you to Paul Cowham for this post:

Blog Entries

We all have strong opinions and are somewhat obsessed about mandolins, or we wouldn't be here... Looks to me like the intensity of the discussion may have frightened the OP away. Sorry if that's the case, we're really not that scary.

For my part, the only nice mandolin I've ever owned is my 2002 Gibson F-9. I've had some things about it that were problems for me, and that I've changed myself or had modified. As my F-9 is now, I really like playing it and consider it a lifetime instrument.

Prices for used F-9 mandolins vary a lot based on year and condition. 2002 was their first year, at that time the out-the-door retail price was around $4K.

2002 Gibson F-9 Announcement

2002 Gibson F-9 Web Presentation
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]