Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Praise of Matt Flinner's Classes

Default In Praise of Matt Flinner's Classes

Matt Flinner has some new classes starting in January, 2 Old Time classes, and Advanced Fiddle Tunes and Improv. If you haven't experienced instruction by a master teacher, this is a great opportunity. Matt's not only a brilliant player, but also a brilliant instructor. He creates great exercises from the tunes he's teaching to hone in on both technique and to provide melodic ideas. The exercises themselves are worth the price of the classes--they will improve your playing if you put some time in on them. The tunes and songs he chooses for the classes are great repertoire-builders as well.

I think Matt has an early bird sign up discount of $50 off through 12/12/2021. If you want see what instruction by a master teacher is like, sign up. He teaches the tunes in a Zoom session during the week, posts the video of the class session on a class site, along with individual slow videos of all the handouts, and mp3s at different speeds of everything with him demonstrating improv ideas he's covered in the class. On Saturdays he holds a Zoom review session going over everything again. All videos, mp3s, and handouts can be downloaded at the end of the class and kept for future reference. Just a huge value. You can see the class descriptions and sign up at https://www.mattflinner.com

During the early part of the pandemic, Matt also held weekly Zoom and Facebook jams. Hearing him play breaks on tunes and jams and playing along with him certainly lifted my spirits. Just a brilliant teacher and player that doesn't get talked about enough here. And a really great person too.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: In Praise of Matt Flinner's Classes

+1.

He's just great all around, great material presented in a very organized manner with terrific documentation, ie, sheet music in notation and tab, well printed.

As I said before, I cajoled my buddies for a few years to sign up and now they're just enthralled. You will be too.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

4. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Ditto. Much to be learned from Matt’s classes. The music is carefully curated; you can take most songs directly to your own jam group. The exercises are always relevant to the task
    at hand. Practice and you can feel yourself jumping over hurdles that held you back before.

There is a surprising amount of comraderie in class via chat. You know you are in good company with fellow enthusiasts, for sure.

I love music camps and one-on-one instruction too, but Matt Flinner classes have been the most helpful for my mandolin journey. See you in class.

Lynn Frame

6. The following members say thank you to Lyframe for this post:

I second all of those emotions! I'll add that Matt has been teaching online for many years now, so he hasn't just adapted to survive the pandemic. He's past the learning curve.

I also really like how he handles the chat. You can type in your questions or comments whenever you think of them, without worrying about interrupting him. Every few minutes, when Matt is at a natural pause point in his instruction, he then picks up the chat feed right where he left off and goes down the list.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Don is spot on with his post. There are lot's of options out there for learning mandolin online - I actually subcribe to many of them and they are great. Matt offers something different - you feel you are sitting in a "real" class. The teaching is second to none, very clear and structured and the materials are perfect - PDFs in TAB and notation, MP3s, videos of all the classes and also seperate videos of each topic. Plus the classes are great fun - I have really progressed in my playing too! I really recommend these for players at all levels.

If ever I heard a true statement

"The exercises themselves are worth the price of the classes--they will improve your playing if you put some time in on them" -Don Grieser

Granted you have to put sometime in on your own, but the playing improvement is noticeable.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Okay, you guys talked me into it
    I signed up for the Old Time Mandolin 101. I expect it will be super fun.

Another 2 thumbs up for Matt’s classes. He’s a fabulous resource for improvement in a variety of genres. I took his last class of advanced fiddle tunes and found it to be very rewarding.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

I have taken 8 of Matt's classes and am enrolled in two this January (Old Time 102 and Advanced Fiddle & Improv). His classes and materials are geared exactly as he describes them on his website. He is deliberate in terms of the skill level for which the class is geared and what he intends to impart based upon the class materials.

I had started playing the mandolin by learning from an in-person instructor. The skills I acquired in the years I spent learning from that instructor pale in comparison to what I have learned from Matt in his online classes. I downloaded all the videos, MP3s, and music PDFs from his classes to a hard drive and refer to them on a daily basis for my practice sessions.

Matt is so conscientious and such a consummate professional, he hosted Zoom jam sessions (so many I lost count, way over 100) and invited anyone and everyone interested to logon and enjoy the jam. We had people from just about all over the world joining these jams. In addition, he provided PDFs for all the tunes and songs he was going to lead for each jam. He was also conducting his infamous "Drink UP And Stay Home" jams on Facebook every Friday night for I don't know how many months in addition to his "Global Picker" Zoom jams. He posted all the PDFs for the FB jams too.

I have taken three other popular online mandolin courses and found that none compare to the content and value of what Matt offers. So, join our Tribe of Global Pickers (as Rob had so cleverly created on Facebook) by taking at least one of Matt's classes. I'm sure it won't be your last.

Another happy customer here. I often go back to the material to brush up on things. Matt does a fantastic job.

Blog Entries

OK. I'm signing up, too. Maybe we can have a reserved seating section for mandolin cafe members.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Another call for sending kudos Matt's way. I'm about to finish my first workshop with him and as soon as I digest this a bit more I’ll be lining up for another. Remarkably well organized and well presented!
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

OK, I'm in. Just registered for the Old Time 101 course.

D

Agree with all above, Matt's classes are wonderful. I have taken 5 or 6 classes now with him and they have all been very good. Some are 4 weeks, some are 8 weeks and as mentioned above you get the original zoom class, the live review on Saturday and access to the recordings and handouts forever afterwards.
    I am skipping this particular round simply because there was so much great material in the Tiny & Jethro class we just finished that I need to spend a lot of time reviewing that stuff again.
    Love Matt's teaching style and the zoom platform provides you the opportunity to ask questions live during the class or you can post them on the class website later.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I am interested in this, is this class website only available on facebook? As someone who doesn't use facebook I wonder if I will be missing things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishing_with_john View Post
    I am interested in this, is this class website only available on facebook? As someone who doesn't use facebook I wonder if I will be missing things.
    No Facebook involvement. Start here: https://www.mattflinner.com/

Class info and sign-up is here.

Similar feedback from me. I took a chords and rhythm class this year, my first one, and have signed up for Old-time mandolin 102, because I don't sing and mandolin 101 is songs.

The class structure is great, and if you have taken a class with an instructor who is not prepared, it is the opposite of that.

In the particular class that I took, he handled different levels of ability quite well, teaching easier -> harder things each lesson, and you could get off the train whenever you wanted. The best thing to me was the structure, where there was a midweek lesson, and then a review a couple days later. That way you have a chance to practice, and then review together. If parts are tricky, you can ask questions about them in the review, without worry about interrupting the flow of the formal lesson. The review sessions are pretty informal.
    Last edited by A 4; Dec-09-2021 at 6:11pm. Reason: Paragraphs are nice

21. The following members say thank you to A 4 for this post:

I have taken several classes from Matt as well as sampled other on-line options. Matt's classes have ,by far, the most personal feel to them. He has obviously put a lot of time an effort into be an excellent teacher as well as a world class player. His attitude is very positive and encouraging. My playing is much better having taken his classes and I often was able put what I learned from him into jamming or gigging right away.
    If you are thinking of singing up, stop thinking and just enroll.

PS I know this post sound like the back of a book endorsement but it is all true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    No Facebook involvement. Start here: https://www.mattflinner.com/

Class info and sign-up is here.
    In terms of structure, the class itself is on Zoom. There is a chat function where you can type comments, but you cannot hear audio from other participants. If I recall the order of operations, just prior to class he provided sheet music/tab , then the class happened, then play-along tracks are provided afterward. After a few days there is another zoom review session. Then, when the class is over, you can download videos of the entire lessons. I think I remember that about right.

Quote Originally Posted by A 4 View Post
    In terms of structure, the class itself is on Zoom. There is a chat function where you can type comments, but you cannot hear audio from other participants. If I recall the order of operations, just prior to class he provided sheet music/tab , then the class happened, then play-along tracks are provided afterward. After a few days there is another zoom review session. Then, when the class is over, you can download videos of the entire lessons. I think I remember that about right.
    thank you! this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm convinced!

Has anybody who signed up this week received an invoice yet? The website said, in a day or two.
    I just wouldn't want my name to fall off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Has anybody who signed up this week received an invoice yet? The website said, in a day or two.
    I just wouldn't want my name to fall off the list.
    Not me, but I just signed up yesterday so.

Matt's current classes just ended today and he has gigs today, tomorrow and the 17th. I'm sure he will be in touch with you soon. As long as you got the confirmation email from Zoom with all the class dates listed, you're good. Matt's email is in that confirmation email if you need it as is the zoom link to the classes. You will get reminder emails from zoom a day before the class as well as an hour before the class. All the emails will have the zoom link and time.

Once the classes start, he emails the materials out just before the class begins. He prefers that you learn by ear and by watching him on the video and not work on things ahead of class. Of course, you can have the materials open on your screen if you want that. He always asks at the beginning of classes if everyone got the materials, so if you didn't get them for any reason, he will resend them before class starts.

I'm glad a few new people signed up. You'll have a blast and learn a lot from a master teacher and player.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave

28. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

One more thing: although the classes are scheduled for an hour, plan on them taking an hour and a half. Matt's enthusiasm for the material he covers generally leads to multiple demonstrations on how to apply what he's teaching to other tunes/songs. And he answers questions and demonstrates things in more detail if needed, so he almost always goes long on the class sessions and sometimes on the practice sessions too. You'll get an email from him before the first class with lots of other details.

Like Don said, Matt staying online overtime, is more the norm than the exception, and for my classes it was often close to an hour over. I have to echo A4's comments about multiple levels, He casts a wide net of instruction and the players at various levels have enough to chew on, all the while reinforcing basic good habits.
    I am also not signing up for any new classes because I still have tons of material to work through from the 2 classes I attended this year.
    I don't want to over-hype, but those who posted about signing up - you did the right thing!.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"