Thread: 5 String Archtop Tenor

Default 5 String Archtop Tenor

Mostly a lurker around this and other forums, and venturing now into Tenor guitars and possibly other mandolin family instruments.

This is an archtop nearing completion that I guess you could say is a hybrid of styles and building techniques.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211203_162751077.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	612.1 KB 
ID:	197931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211203_162733488.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	665.4 KB 
ID:	197932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211205_142859308.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	197933

The body is Beech (sinker wood from Great Lakes), the neck is Maple and Cherry, and the top is Western Red Cedar.

The scale length is 22.5". It will have 5 strings and I expect tuning to be GDAEA.

Any one have other suggestions for tuning? I don't believe I will be able to go lower than "G".

I set it up today with one string for a test drive. I think it's gonna sound pretty good.

I do hope to offer instruments for sale in the near future, and no, I don't have a waiting list.

2. The following members say thank you to Brett S. for this post:

fox 

Default Re: 5 String Archtop Tenor

That's the tuning I would try first, if I had a 5-string tenor. Glad you're trying the beech - I'd like to know how that works out. Looks like a fun project!

4. The following members say thank you to Ben Vierra for this post:

I have a few 5-string tenors with that scale. I use FCGDA and find it really accessible. Straight 5ths across the strings.

-DJW

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djweiss For This Useful Post:

I would tune it GDAEB, all 5ths.

Quote Originally Posted by djweiss View Post
    I have a few 5-string tenors with that scale. I use FCGDA and find it really accessible. Straight 5ths across the strings.

-DJW
    I'd love to see what your tenors look like. What scale length and what do you use for your F string? Who made them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I would tune it GDAEB, all 5ths.
    If I can ask, what do you use for your B string, and what is your scale length?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett S. View Post
    I'd love to see what your tenors look like. What scale length and what do you use for your F string? Who made them?
    My 5-strings were all made by Paul Lestock of Arrow Guitar & Mandolin. Scale length is ~22.75" if I recall (I'm not near them at the moment).

I generally use a regular guitar pack and drop the "D" string:

For my acoustics (flat-top and arch-top), I currently use 0.050, 0.040, 0.023-wound, 0.015, and 0.011.
    For my solid-body electrics, I currently sue 0.046, 0.036, 0.026-wound, 0.013, and 0.010

Name:	Quiver.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	197943

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djweiss For This Useful Post:

If I can ask, what do you use for your B string, and what is your scale length?
    Sorry, I don't have a 5 string tenor, but, if I did, it would be tuned in 5ths.

A little late to this conversation...why a 5-string tenor? What are the advantages over a 4-string besides a slightly fuller sound? I've been playing CGDA for a few years off-and-on and am always interested in a new experience.

I also am interested in an acoustic archtop tenor but a smaller body than the 50's era Gibsons. Any suggestions on builders or vintage I might want to look for?

Thanks to all.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malarz View Post
    I also am interested in an acoustic archtop tenor but a smaller body than the 50's era Gibsons. Any suggestions on builders or vintage I might want to look for?
    Herb Taylor http://www.herbtaylor.com/instruments/tenorguitar/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Mostly a lurker around this and other forums, and venturing now into Tenor guitars and possibly other mandolin family instruments.

This is an archtop nearing completion that I guess you could say is a hybrid of styles and building techniques.

Name:	IMG_20211203_162751077.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	612.1 KB 
ID:	197931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211203_162733488.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	665.4 KB 
ID:	197932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211205_142859308.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	197933

The body is Beech (sinker wood from Great Lakes), the neck is Maple and Cherry, and the top is Western Red Cedar.

The scale length is 22.5". It will have 5 strings and I expect tuning to be GDAEA.

Any one have other suggestions for tuning? I don't believe I will be able to go lower than "G".

I set it up today with one string for a test drive. I think it's gonna sound pretty good.

I do hope to offer instruments for sale in the near future, and no, I don't have a waiting list.
    I’m having a 5 string solid body built for me. I plan on tuning to open G a la Keith Richards, G D G B D.
    Tenor Guitar & Lap Steel Freak
    https://papadafoe.com/tenor-guitar-tunings

5-sting provides a low F below CGDA. For me, I like the frequency range closer to 6-string guitar, and transposing between mandolin (GDAE) and 5-string tenor (FCGDA) is really easy. Most of my 4-string tenors are tuned either FCGD or GDAE (octave mandolin)....

Quote Originally Posted by malarz View Post
    A little late to this conversation...why a 5-string tenor? What are the advantages over a 4-string besides a slightly fuller sound? I've been playing CGDA for a few years off-and-on and am always interested in a new experience.

Thanks to all.