Thread: Looking for Orchestration and Arrangement classes or workshops

Question Looking for Orchestration and Arrangement classes or workshops

Hi there, I would like to take some classes or attend a detailed workshop on Orchestration and Arrangement for Mandolin orchestra. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Default Re: Looking for Orchestration and Arrangement classes or worksho

Hi, Mandonata, and welcome to the forum! I don't know of any classes offhand, but it would be helpful to tell us something about your own background and goals. For example, have you taken any college-type courses in music theory and harmony (or read the textbooks), do you play one of the mandolin orchestra instruments, is there a musical style you particularly favour, or an arranging project you're eager to attempt? Also, where are you located? This sort of information might narrow things down a bit. Good luck!

Blog Entries

I'vemoved this to a different section where I think you'll have a greater chance of obtaining an answer.

At the CMSA Convention Jeff Brumley (Seattle MO) presented a very practical workshop on this very topic. I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with him, and if it becomes available to non-members, watching that video-recorded session. I don't know if Jeff wants his details published here (he's a great guy and probably would be happy to help) so I will check with him and post again. I'm trained in theory, harmony, and voice leading, so I could advise on that. But I trained as a choral director, so I need to learn more about the plucked strings in terms of balance and ranges. As Bruce says, it would help to know you motivation and context, for example guitar section, mandocellos, bowed bass?

[I've moved this to a different section where I think you'll have a greater chance of obtaining an answer. ] (M-Cafe)
    Interested to see this thread develop, Mr. Cafe, are we in the right place now? (and thanks for admin'ing).
    jim

Blog Entries

The Hector Berlioz book is probably about the most normal place to start for an overview It helps if you already have a grounding in music theory & composition before going for orchestration. Definitely worth telling us a bit about where you're coming from first.

Here's a UK link to the book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hector-Berl...rnFromLogin=1&

One part of the mandolin orchestration you won't find in the books is how to incorporate & exploit mandolin specific techniques into your arrangements. This is because very few non-plectrum composers ever learn what is possible or what those techniques mean for orchestration. So you'll probably get more mileage by working backwards from orchestrations by people who are prominent mandolin orchestra leaders and arrangers. I won't try listing names until we know where you're starting from and where you're aiming as it may be a totally different direction from what you intend.
    Last edited by Beanzy; Dec-06-2021 at 2:39am.

6. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Eugene 

If you'd rather not spend the money at Amazon, you can view Berlioz's A treatise on modern instrumentation and orchestration online at the Hathi Trust.

8. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Beanzy